Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion's next manager ***Discuss it here & vote***

Who should replace Steve Coppell? (3 votes)

• Bob Booker

Votes: 55 19.1%
  • Dean Wilkins

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Paul Merson

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • Tony Adams

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Steve Cotterill

Votes: 43 14.9%
  • Graham Rix

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Gary Johnson (Yeovil)

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Lawrie Sanchez

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Ian Dowie

Votes: 124 43.1%
  • Nigel Clough

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Joe Kinnear

Votes: 44 15.3%
  • Glen Hoddle

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Terry Burton (Watford Assist.)

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Liam Brady

Votes: 16 5.6%
  • Danny Wilson (Bristol City)

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • Glen Roeder

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Jean Tigana

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Lou Macari

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Dave Merrington

• Steve McMahon

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Terry Connor (Wolves Assist.)

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Stuart Pearce

• Brain Little

• Carlton Parmer

• Alan Cork

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • George Graham

• Andy Ritchie (Leeds Coach)

• John Gregory

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Keith Curle (Mansfield)

• Howard Wilkinson ( (Late addition to poll)

• Stuart Gray (Late addition to poll)

• Mark McGhee (Late addition to poll)

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • The Chuckle Brothers (will maintain Albions passing style...To Me..To You

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Albion's next manager ***Discuss it here***

Attempt 2 to keep all discussion neatly held in the one place...

The King is Dead...

….well not quite but I believe the respirator is going to be turned off shortly after 10:30.

So – LONG LIVE THE KING.

But who is he?!?

Bob Booker – After the Wood and Hinshelwood mistakes, would DK risk appointing from within again?

Steve Cotterill – Hump and hoof style of football – do we want that? More importantly – did not show a lot of loyalty to Stoke when Sunderland came knocking. Don’t we want some stability – someone who is likely to stick around?

Paul Merson – I must admit I’d love to see him in an Albion shirt. Has nothing to suggest he could fulfil the role in the Albion tracksuit though. And isn’t his family Midlands based?

Tony Adams – Only a matter of time, it seems, until he enters the management game. Suspect he will want somewhere with a higher profile and where the Premiership could be a realistic ambition.

Graham Rix – A spell at Pompey when they were flirting with the second division, and before they became rich. Was highly regarded as Chelsea coach though. Does his record suggest he is more a number two than the big cheese? (Also imagine the fun opposing fans could have with Rix in charge of the ‘bummer boys’)

Gary Johnson – Done well with Yeovil. Any reason to leave and not see if he can take them further though?

Lawrie Sanchez – Reasonable record with Wycombe until this season and recent sacking. Stuck with them for over 4 years despite being mentioned for ‘bigger things’ at times.

Ian Dowie – Now we’re talking – done great things with Oldham. Rumours have linked him to Stockport though.

Nigel Clough - Got to make the move to League football some time, surely?

Joe Kinnear - Wanting to get back into the game?

Any more for any more?

I would like us to get a manager who isn't tied up with another club. I don't want use to do an "ArseReading".

I think TA would be good - mentioned it many times. Booker (brooker!!!!) could take a more "hands on" role and Adams has the contacts.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Funny feeling its between Ian Dowie & Steve Cotterill, although a surprise with Hoddle might not be out the question as he could do with a "non-pressure" job, maybe a reason why he turned down Reading as they want Prem status virtually immediatley.

Although I'd give it to Booker but not sure he would take it...the managers job that is!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Ian Dowie would be good, he must have loads of contacts in the game and ha done a good job with Oldham.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At the moment, of the names I've heard (most above), I'd go Dowie.

The fact he does not have a contract at Oldham would mean that we may not need to pay out any compensation. That said, it would be a very tough break on Oldham who are trying to battle back from financial ruin.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Ian Dowie or Joe Kinnear.

Or if possible to get these people released, Danny Wilson or Terry Burton.

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Id like it to be Iain Dowie, done wonders with no money at Oldham and knows the lower divisions. Adams and Merson would be no-nos as they have no knowledge of management and I dont want us to be their guinea pigs

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Whoever it is will only last 12 months

If it is October it must be change the manager time at Brighton

Ps Dowie for me

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd be very surprised if we have to wait very long to hear - DK has had a week or so already to work on this.

If you look back, we haven't tended to take too many people from existing jobs, presumably to avoid compensation payments. More of the same in all likelihood...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whoever it is, I hope the board have another list of candidates ready for October 2004.

Lush

Mods' Pet
We have motivators (Cullip, Oatway, Booker), we have good team spirit, what we need is a tactician who would do his homework on other teams and have a game plan that everyone understands and can play to. I liked the way that SC would take notes in first half in the stand (rather than rant and shout like McMahon/Hessenthaler-alikes) and communicate to players at half-time etc. An intelligent, quick-witted thinker, in other words.

I don't know these managers well enough to know what their style is.

TA, unlikely but Iwould be quite happy. Dowie , Kinnear or Burton would also keep me cheerful. Hoddle did really well at Swindon and Southampton, but major question mark over his man management skills, and we don't want Eileen Drewery down here. Roeder has the charisma of a dead badger, but is highly rated by the likes of Alex Ferguson, so who knows.

I thought the whispers were that DK was talking to someone he interviewed last year? That would strengthen the case for Burton.

Wouldn't it be great if we decided to hold a press conference today aswell to announce our new manager? It would be a great 2 fingered salute to Reading and Coppell.

Thanks for what you have done Steve, but in the true fickle nature of a footy fan, piss off!

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Dowie sounds a good choice. Only worry is his contacts - we're gonna need players with Div One experience and lower league players haven't exactly proved they're capable of making that jump.

If it's Rix - my dad and I are selling our season tickets.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Hearn on Southern FM that Compensation delayed the transfer of manager(as it is nowdays). I was convinced he wouldn't go but it seems that the faith I had in Coppell was misguided.
Anyway Southern FM announced that Graham Rix has been lined up for the job. No joke!

Don't think that would be too bad.

This is a joke;
He will be good with the Youth Policy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here