Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albions first foreign manager

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
I remember reading this online in the argus/ hearing it in the press conference.

"Tony Millard has just told Poyet he is Albion's first foreign manager. He replied: "I didn't know that, I'm very proud. I hope I'm not the shortest-lived manager as well!" The new boss seems to be enjoying this. "

Wasn't Liam Brady classed as being foreign?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Micky wouldn't be happy. He hated 'designer' foreign managers...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What about Mark McGhee?

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
lots of debate over legal definition of Southern Ireland citizens.

Naylor today refers to him as first "continental" manager - which I guess is a better description

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Naylor got that wrong didn't he...unless he specified which continent!

Uruguay wasn't in Europe last time I looked.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
lots of debate over legal definition of Southern Ireland citizens.

Naylor today refers to him as first "continental" manager - which I guess is a better description

Doesn't 'continental' refer to europeans though?

Edit: Too slow!

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Naylor got that wrong didn't he...unless he specified which continent!

Uruguay wasn't in Europe last time I looked.

I thonk the assumption to be made is "of a different continent" i.e. non-European

Hell - maybe we are over-analysing this!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Naylor is hardly going to let accuracy get in the way of anything he writes about the Albion now is he?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Now if Andy Naylor had put "inter" before "continental" he would have been spot on :smile:

Could argue that Scots, Welsh Northern Irish are British/ UK so not foreign, whereas Rep of Ireland is definately not part of the UK/ Britain or whatever, so therefore foreign imo.
Charlie Webb was born in Dublin in 1886 - part of what was known between 1801 and 1927 as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (although this name was inaccurate after 1922).

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
let's not forget that the Ireland Act 1949 states that "The Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country".

The above means that while they don't qualify for UK citizenship they are also legally not foreign in the UK.

let's not forget that the Ireland Act 1949 states that "The Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country".

The above means that while they don't qualify for UK citizenship they are also legally not foreign in the UK.

I do think the key point is that RoI citizens cannot become British citizens without the usual process which applies to all foreign-born people. The 1949 Act only made that statement because otherwise the Republic's 1948 Republic of Ireland Act (when combined with the UK's various nationality laws) meant that the thousands of Irishmen living and working in the UK - a workforce which was crucial to postwar reconstruction - lost their right to do so.

There is also some argument that the provisions of early 1980s UK nationality laws, while not changing the status of the Republic as 'not a foreign country', did create a new distinction between Irish and UK citizens (particularly the blanket award of UK citizenship to those who had left the Republic prior to 1922, and their descendents). Thus, it may be argued that although the Republic is not a foreign country, its citizens are foreigners!

And, of course, in football terms - and we are talking about football here! - whereas theoretically anyone born in the UK can play for England (only a concordat between the home associations prevents this from happening), that doesn't apply to those born in the Republic of Ireland. Thus, unless he had a British parent or grandparent, Liam Brady couldn't play for England (or any of the other British national teams). In football terms, then, Brady is a foreigner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here