Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion's fanbase

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Just wondered if people really think the number of Albion fans out there has significantly diminished since we left the Goldstone all those years ago? Sure, we've had some tough times. Ground sharing with Gills and having to play at Withers. However, to a certain extent we've been lucky with the success we've had in recent years, experiencing 3 promotions. Most people seem to think our fanbase has shrunk significantly in recent years due to our circumstances and things will improve once Falmer is ready. However, I remember when we were mid-table playing under Brady in league 1 and our average attendance was only around 7K. Not a great deal of difference from our gates today. Do people in Sussex really care about the new stadium? Personally, I think Falmer will get people through the turnstiles for the first few games but it is vital we are a successful team in order to keep enough people interested. I really don't want it to be an anti-climax!!! :albion1:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think our fanbase has always been relatively fickle. I remember the home game before Brian Clough took over, there were about 5,500 of us there - in other words an average Withdean crowd of last season. (Haven't got the exact figures to hand so I may be wrong, but it was still a tiny attendance). Five years later and the crowds had increased nearly sixfold. Five years after that and they'd gone back down to nearer the pre-Clough level.

It's quite simple: Winning team = good crowds. Losing team = poor crowds. And those two equations apply almost irrespective of the division we're in.

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
I think our fanbase has always been relatively fickle. I remember the home game before Brian Clough took over, there were about 5,500 of us there - in other words an average Withdean crowd of last season. (Haven't got the exact figures to hand so I may be wrong, but it was still a tiny attendance). Five years later and the crowds had increased nearly sixfold. Five years after that and they'd gone back down to nearer the pre-Clough level.

It's quite simple: Winning team = good crowds. Losing team = poor crowds. And those two equations apply almost irrespective of the division we're in.

That's a good point and puts things into perspective. We really are a fickle bunch of fans! I have no doubt that we can attract crowds of 20K + under the circumstances of a brand new stadium and good results. However, once the novelty wears off and IF results are average, I think things will return to how they always have been.

Socky

Sockmonster
Jun 24, 2008
Brighton
Did I not read somewhere that the club are expecting to sell more than 12000 plus season tickets for Falmer? Maybe just wishful thinking but I can believe it. I know of several people who are planning to buy tickets and they have hardly been to Withdean let alone been season ticket holders. Going to be a very different club over the next few years.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Northstand £25
East £20
West £35
South £20

But there is as much chance of that as pigs setting out to fly to the moon.

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Think the price for the goldstone was

northstand £8
east £8
west £15
south £10

so how much should it be, 13 years on?

Very cheap back then. That is why I think that price has never been an issue and won't be an issue at Falmer. 25 quid + to get in at Withdean and we're still getting over 6000 through the gates. I think it's more about whether or not the people of Sussex care that much when we're going through a mediocre/bad spell. Time will tell!

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
I think we may be pleasantly surprised by our gates at the new stadium. Take Hull City for example. Their attendances were always around the 6,000 mark (at best) apart from the season immediately before moving into their new ground (when they averaged nearly 13,000). In their first season in their new stadium they averaged nearly 17,000 and this was in league 2.

However, their move into their new stadium coincided with success on the pitch so their gates have not fallen since.

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
I think we may be pleasantly surprised by our gates at the new stadium. Take Hull City for example. Their attendances were always around the 6,000 mark (at best) apart from the season immediately before moving into their new ground (when they averaged nearly 13,000). In their first season in their new stadium they averaged nearly 17,000 and this was in league 2.

However, their move into their new stadium coincided with success on the pitch so their gates have not fallen since.

And that's a very good example of how a new stadium can attract and keep fans. Reading have done well too since leaving Elm Park. I hope our gates follow the same trend when we move to Falmer! :amex:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I like most others know of many people who will be buying their first ever season ticket when Falmer opens. These are often people who have always knocked me for going, those that "support" Chelsea and United etc but have never been. Those are the kind of people we need though in order to fill it, and added to the numbers of people who reject paying £25 at Withdean, we should sell out IMO most games in the first season. After that it depends on success, if we go up, i can see us filling it almost every week, a good season (top 6 or 7) i think we could easily get 17k on average in the second season. Another poor season, and i think we are looking at dropping to 13/14k in the second season maybe as an average.
As others say, all depends on a variety of factors, including ticket prices. I would hazard a guess at the tickets being reasonable:
£28-30 West Stand
£25 East Stand
£20 North Stand
£20 South stand (away)

borowha

Dec 19, 2008
As someone who has followed the Albion for the last forty years but since the demise of the Goldstone has only watched them a handful of times,I for one will be renewing my interest once Falmer is up and running.

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
I like most others know of many people who will be buying their first ever season ticket when Falmer opens. These are often people who have always knocked me for going, those that "support" Chelsea and United etc but have never been. Those are the kind of people we need though in order to fill it, and added to the numbers of people who reject paying £25 at Withdean, we should sell out IMO most games in the first season. After that it depends on success, if we go up, i can see us filling it almost every week, a good season (top 6 or 7) i think we could easily get 17k on average in the second season. Another poor season, and i think we are looking at dropping to 13/14k in the second season maybe as an average.
As others say, all depends on a variety of factors, including ticket prices. I would hazard a guess at the tickets being reasonable:
£28-30 West Stand
£25 East Stand
£20 North Stand
£20 South stand (away)

Possibly! That might happen. I am sure there will be a lot of first timers when we move to Falmer. But at the moment it's just people saying they will go without having to commit! As for the people who used to go regularly but won't go to Withdean, I'm not overly convinced there are thousands of them given our attendances at the Goldstone throughout the 90's are not at all dissimilar to what they are now.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If we are in the Championship next season matchday prices could be £26 to £28 for East & West , £24 for North & South as it will have to include the travel voucher element.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Dont forget the ticket covers the travel voucher - I use it from Seaford return - 10.30 ish in and 7.30 ish home after watching the 5,30 game in one of the pubs near Brighton station - good day out

phoenix

May 18, 2009
As someone who has followed the Albion for the last forty years but since the demise of the Goldstone has only watched them a handful of times,I for one will be renewing my interest once Falmer is up and running.

Had a season ticket for 13 season's late 70s-80s.Some of my family live in Woodingdean so could well get season ticket.

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
One thing which will help the home attendance figures is the away support. A weekend in brighton plus falmer will i think be popular

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
if it rids the streets of those awful Premireshite replica shirts the youngsters wear and they start to ask the parents to be taken to Falmer to watch Brighton and hove albion then all the years and all the money spent will have been worth it.

Never had a season ticket in my life but will definately purchasing one on the monthly plan next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here