Albion v York City 27.04.96 - video footage from YCTV

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

tomysupercup

North Stand Kollective
Sep 17, 2004
NORTH STAND
Albion v York City 27.04.96

Some interesting close up footage of the game/pitch invasion.

An interesting 'discussion' develops in front of the South stand at 6 minutes in. Presumably about the need to break the goal posts anymore than they already were?

[yt]Q0yZ8CM9wEI[/yt]

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Blimey, that's brought back some - bad - memories.

I remember hearing about the plans to snap the crossbars on the Friday night in town.

During the game I didn't think it would actually happen and when it did I felt really sad.

Needed to happen, though, 100%.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Soulfinger - I believe at the start of that footage Ian Chapman is receiving the player of the season award?

May help with your 'research' you mentioned a few days ago :laugh:

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009

I remember hearing about the plans to snap the crossbars on the Friday night in town.

During the game I didn't think it would actually happen and when it did I felt really sad.

Why did it need to happen though? I was at the game but couldn't understand why snapping the cross bar was so important? I was in the East Stand surrounded by Palace scum, head butted the guy next to me as they ran on the pitch.

john baldock

Feb 18, 2009
gloucester
Very sad but without it we may not be here today so onwards and upwards and f**k those people who almost shafted our club !! can not bring myself to mention their names on this board :amex:

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Why did it need to happen though? I was at the game but couldn't understand why snapping the cross bar was so important? I was in the East Stand surrounded by Palace scum, head butted the guy next to me as they ran on the pitch.

Only because it brought national attention to our plight, which we hadn't really had before.

There were a lot of scumbags there that day - only there for the potential aggro.

It's a day I'd rather forget.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Very sad but without it we may not be here today so onwards and upwards and f**k those people who almost shafted our club !! can not bring myself to mention their names on this board :amex:

Exactly, it's our club.

Onwards and almost certainly upwards.

Cromwell Road Gull

Jul 2, 2008
Was an unbelievable day - remember walking down the Shoreham road with my dad, about 15 at the time and a guy called him over and said on the pitch at half time.

I was walking up ther steps to get a burger thinking its ok nothing will happen until half time when all of a sudden everyone stormed the pitch.

Seeing it on the back page of every national paper the next day brough home how serious it was. It had to happen to give us that national attention

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
If that happened now, how many pages would a thread on here about it get?

It would be well into the hundreds wouldnt it? Look how many we got after a bloke was chucked out for saying 'flip' a lot the other week.

A thread asking how many albion were on the pitch would probably get 10 (8 of which would come after someone had asked the club because they they were that desperate to know) pages.

Then you would have about 20 pages of thats me in the photo / footage, third row down from the back, fourth one from the left standing behind a bloke with glasses, in front of a bloke with a beard.

This is obviously after the hymen breakingly funny threads on 'Yorks most famous supporter' in the build up (how did we ever get by without those - oh yes thats how; it was easy because they are pointless and not funny) and the 'How many will York bring' rubbish.

Those were the days.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Seeing it on the back page of every national paper the next day brough home how serious it was. It had to happen to give us that national attention

The News of the World's headline said 'Riot'.

I phoned them and asked the sports editor - who was very posh - if he was at the game and he said no.

I explained what was happening and he replied "as far as I'm concerned all football fans are scum" to which I retorted

"as far as I'm concerned you're a ******* clueless ****" and hung up.

Cromwell Road Gull

Jul 2, 2008
The News of the World's headline said 'Riot'.

I phoned them and asked the sports editor - who was very posh - if he was at the game and he said no.

I explained what was happening and he replied "as far as I'm concerned all football fans are scum" to which I retorted

"as far as I'm concerned you're a ******* clueless ****" and hung up.

brilliant :lolol:

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester

Absolutely!!!! We may not be about to move in to the AMEX if this day didnt happen........we were fighting for OUR club. As bad as those years were they were also brilliant for bringing fans together united in the fight to keep OUR club going!!!!!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I knew nothing of what a planned crossbar snapping, but you could tell just by wandering around town on that day that there was going to be a big disgruntled crowd and there were going to be some seriously pissed off fans at the game. I must admit, I thought it would take longer than eight minutes before it all went off.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It made the top story on the BBC news that night, linked in with a theme of Hooligans and the p coming Euro championships.

I love the two very young kids in front of the south stand running around the edge of the pitch with union jacks around them and blue and white bowlers hats on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports