Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion v Aston Villa 1972

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
coventrygull said:
I was there. I think Willie Irvine goal was in the south stand net. Also didn't Irvine score for Northen Ireland against England at wembley. I may be wrong here anyone know.
It was the South Stand. And I don't know about Irvine scoring but I DID see him put the ball in the net against England at Wembley. He was YARDS offside, the linesman flagged, the referee blew, the England players all stopped but Irvine carried on. He took the ball round the England keeper (can't remember who it was) who was standing there with his hands on his hips. He stuck the ball in the net and then ran away celebrating. He knew he was offside but I guess he just wanted to do it. It's the sort of thing they book you for nowadays.

There must be a youtube clip of it somewhere.

PS - Northern Ireland won 1-0. I think Derek Dougan scored but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
smudge said:
I'm pretty sure it was all ticket & I'm pretty sure it was LOCKhead.
They also had Bruce Rioch in midfield.

No it was pay at the gate. I got there at 2pm & had to fight to stand in my usual spot in the north stand. Happy days!

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
The Spring of 1972 was touched with magic. I was 15 and whatever football means as an adult, it's everything at that age.

The weekend following the Villa game was Easter. Good Friday saw 3 goals in the last 11 minutes to overcome Torquay..30,000 + at the Goldstone I think.

The next day off to Bournemouth. Another late goal saw us get a really important point. Anyone remember getting ambushed at Pokesdown railway station on the way back? Home fans hurling rocks from above the platforms. I went back there this New Year's Day (Henderson's almighty balls-up) and could see how their ambush was carried out!

Getting to be a sad (oldish) git, but never mind. :)

Got promoted that year too. First time definitely the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here