Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Roar - 18/04/15 with guest Paul Barber

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mildly interesting interview but dont agree with a few things. Academy buildings are not as important as coaches. Buildings are important to an extent to get the academy 1 status perhaps but football is not a complicated game. Some people can play it others cant. The coach should be able to find a player in a Brighton/ Hastings or Worthing park as easily as he can in a posh training building. Also, kids should not be treated as special until they prove they are special. I worry about giving posh training facilities to players. Pele didnt need them and so neither do Brighton players or youth team players. I think there needs to be a balance and they should be forced to do some training in some park somewhere in our catchment area. The Academy must also start delivering players very soon as there is an ongoing £2 Million cost to it. That is serious money that could be in the transfer budget and they must deliver. I'm sure they will but lets not shy away from telling the academy that if there are no decent premier league standard kids coming through within 2/3 years then they have failed.
You've missed the point of the NEED for an 'all bells and whistles' facility.

That grade one status, in theory, is worth more than any coach or player.
With that in place the club can now cherry pick talent as well as develop it's own.
Not only that, but the status will bring with it better coaches.

There's no point 'working towards' a good academy, that's the equivalent of trying to get promoted when every other team has parachute payments!

When talking about money PB made a few references as to what other clubs may/need/should/did do with a large injection of cash all off the pitch.
He also spoke about financing the 'community' and club 'infrastructure'.

It's not the greatest leap to paraphrase him along the lines of:-

'Because we are PREMIER LEAGUE READY the multi million pound cash injection, from promotion, will be spent on the pitch'.

and yet NSC still mocks the statement, PB, and the club for wanting to better itself.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is there a link so I can listen to it on my ipad?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You've missed the point of the NEED for an 'all bells and whistles' facility.

That grade one status, in theory, is worth more than any coach or player.
With that in place the club can now cherry pick talent as well as develop it's own.
Not only that, but the status will bring with it better coaches.
I'm glad someone else has written this. It also means that the club can recruit nationally, as opposed to withing the 1.5h limit imposed on Cat 2 and lower.

We certainly wouldn't be attracting players from abroad - like Spain, Ireland and Finland for example - without the facilities that they've built in Lancing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here