Albion reject "final" Leicester bid for Ulloa

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Aren't their bids decreasing each time?

Well, if you believe all the reported figures and the chronology of those bids, then yes, yes, they are. Which clearly doesn't make any sense! Some weeks ago I was told by a club employee that a deal was imminent at £7.5m plus £750k add-ons. Clearly the imminence of that deal was not correct, but I do wonder whether the numbers might be about correct...either for a deal that has been kind of in the offing for a few weeks or, perhaps more likely, for what the minimum price that we'd sell him for...?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Well clearly my glass is half full. Yes we made the playoffs but........ We still made the playoffs, considering we did it with a shoestring squad playing without a fully fit striker, and in the second leg against derby only one regular defender, I think we did pretty well. Derby were better than us all season, I don't see the shame in losing to them. As for the previous year, well it transpires that were some mitigating circumstances there too.

Fact is, despite being a tight-fisted shambles we still managed to beat out the rest of the division to a playoff spot two years in a row. We lost both, but so what? What do you think the likes of Forest are saying? They spent loads of money and FAILED to do as well as we did. Look at how many times Cardiff got beaten in the playoffs before ether finally made it up to the PL. I do not expect or demand that we get this promotion this season. I would however like us to give it a good go and should we be successful then great.

As for the players, a lot of people seem very happy with Hughes, we needed an experienced head to replace Upson and we got one. I disagree re CMS, from what i've seen (if he stays fit) should score and provide able support to Ulloa who has had to carry the attack on his own for a year. Fenelon is raw and it way to early to judge, but he looks like capable bench fodder at the moment until we get in another striker. As for Toko it's not just foreign players who are a gamble, ALL players are a gamble, they could be terrible or get injured straight away, nationality has nothing to do with it.

In all fairness I expect that we will all be underwhelmed by our transfer activity as I do not see us being in the market for high-profile exciting signings. We'll just have to trust the club and their judgement, I do, even though that trust is not universally held by all supporters.

This sensible, reasoned post has no place on this board. Be gone with you!

(I agree with you by the way!)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Realistically are we likely to hang onto him??

If we're close on a price we'd accept then I'd do the deal, we can keep on hankering over 250k or 500k up till transfer deadline day but with each passing day it will probably be more difficult to land our targets when he goes or could lose them to other clubs so it seems sensible if Leicester are close to our valuation.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Get Rhodes or Vossen signed up front, and then allow Leo to drive up to Leicester.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Rhodes is contracted until 2019! He would cost more than we would get for Leo and his wages would be double at least!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Get Rhodes or Vossen signed up front, and then allow Leo to drive up to Leicester.

Rhodes will be on about £25k a week so not happening. And cost around £7m.

Rather we sign someone like wood, AND baldock, and have a couple million spare after those two to bring in a good goalkeeper.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
with each passing day it will probably be more difficult to land our targets when he goes or could lose them to other clubs so it seems sensible if Leicester are close to our valuation.

It could also be that we have his replacement lined up and ready to go depending on Leicester meeting our valuation, but I do agree that any targets could be snapped up before hand.

I admire the club for holding out for what they consider to be his value, we see other clubs like Leeds, Southampton and the manky mob up the A23 hold out and often ask why we always sell on the cheap, well if we want to change that, this us how its done, well done Bloom, Barber and all concerned.

Personally I'd have sold him long ago, I tend to think he's only one bad tackle, or stumble on the turf ala Murray, away from being worthless.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It could also be that we have his replacement lined up and ready to go depending on Leicester meeting our valuation, but I do agree that any targets could be snapped up before hand.

I admire the club for holding out for what they consider to be his value, we see other clubs like Leeds, Southampton and the manky mob up the A23 hold out and often ask why we always sell on the cheap, well if we want to change that, this us how its done, well done Bloom, Barber and all concerned.

Personally I'd have sold him long ago, I tend to think he's only one bad tackle, or stumble on the turf ala Murray, away from being worthless.

I was also thinking that it is possible that the club already have a replacement lined up.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Rhodes will be on about £25k a week so not happening. And cost around £7m.

Rather we sign someone like wood, AND baldock, and have a couple million spare after those two to bring in a good goalkeeper.

There is such poor value in this country though. I am hoping for another 'Ulloa' style signing from the European /Dutch/French/Swiss/Spanish 2nd/Portuguese leagues etc.

As we can see with Norwich last season, Premier League clubs gambling on foreign players can go wrong. However we won't be relegated if our new 'Ulloa' style signing ends up like Norwich's 'Wolf's-winker' signing - a first season failure.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Interesting titbit here from the Leicester Mercury:

"City are looking to bring in a striker to play alongside Vardy and David Nugent and remain in pursuit of Brighton striker Leonardo Ulloa.

The Seagulls have rejected four bids from City for the Argentine, the last being an offer of £6.25million, which would have smashed the club's transfer record for highest fee paid.

City have not been perturbed and are expected to submit a fifth bid of £7m. Brighton have slapped a £10m asking price on Ulloa, which City will not meet.

However, City are said to be confident they can eventually get the deal done but, having identified Ulloa as their number one transfer target, they are prepared to wait."

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Interesting titbit here from the Leicester Mercury:

"City are looking to bring in a striker to play alongside Vardy and David Nugent and remain in pursuit of Brighton striker Leonardo Ulloa.

The Seagulls have rejected four bids from City for the Argentine, the last being an offer of £6.25million, which would have smashed the club's transfer record for highest fee paid.

City have not been perturbed and are expected to submit a fifth bid of £7m. Brighton have slapped a £10m asking price on Ulloa, which City will not meet.

However, City are said to be confident they can eventually get the deal done but, having identified Ulloa as their number one transfer target, they are prepared to wait."

Are they going to wait 3 years when his contract is up?

If they are that serious about Ulloa, then they would not have offered such pathetic and derisory bids and should just get on and bid close what the club want not £3million less!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Hopefully it is all pieces in a jigsaw ie we will sell Ulloa for £7million + if we can sign up X and y for z. That way we are all happy, win/win. No way should the club sell him unless there is a replacement willing to come here who has signed up.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Hopefully it is all pieces in a jigsaw ie we will sell Ulloa for £7million + if we can sign up X and y for z. That way we are all happy, win/win. No way should the club sell him unless there is a replacement willing to come here who has signed up.
Hopefully that is the case.. Sort of happened when GM left, we signed Hoskins that day and CMS few days later...certainly need to be busy working in this area, as already short without Ulloa going

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If they are that serious about Ulloa, then they would not have offered such pathetic and derisory bids and should just get on and bid close what the club want not £3million less!

Not sure I'd agree £6.25M is pathetic and derisory. It would represent a huge profit on a player with a pretty limited history here. £7M will do it I think, and as much as I don't want him to go it will be good business for the club

On the other hand Jutkiewicz for £1.5M feels like very good business for Burnley

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I'm liking this to be honest! We're obviously playing hard ball - It seems that Leo, although would love to play in the Prem, is settled down here with his family. I think we'll let him go when or IF he puts in a transfer request. Or when Leicester match our valuation.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'd much rather us go back abroad if Ulloa was to go.

Boro just signed Kike, who got 23 goals in the second tier in Spain last year for £2.5m.

Borja Viguera got 24 goals in that division last year, and has signed for Bilbao for £1m.

Newcastle just signed Ayoze, for £1.6m, he's 20 and got 16 goals in that division last year.

All have very similar records at that level to Ulloa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here