Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Albion rebuilding may spill over into season"

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
To be honest, I think you will find the same happening with quite a few clubs.
Money is tight, no one can dispute that, it is run as a business now after all.
The fact that Brighton always seem to do this looks like we may be setting the trend.
It's a bit like the January sales after the Christmas panic.
Still be in top 6, I think. :albion2:

Can I buy your optimism anywhere?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm sure it won't happen, but that is what we need if we are serious about challenging this year.
Rebuilding is going to take more than just one transfer window, especially as we've invested so massively in the academy, thus taking a longer term view. We were never just going to go out and buy eleven new players of Prem. standard anyway. Mid-table, with some DS squad involvement, would represent progress - as would stability for a change.
We blew our chance of the PL two years ago, and since then we have gone backwards. We ain't going to get to the PL overnight now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure it won't happen, but that is what we need if we are serious about challenging this year.
Will we get them ? Maybe, I think...

Striker 1 - almost certainly
Central Defender - almost certainly
AMC - Probably ( loan )
Winger 1 - almost certainly

Striker 2 - if we can move on COG.
Winger 2 - if we can sell JFC, or move on Chicksen or Holla.

I understand that recruitment may spill over but seriously, how long have the club been aware we lack attacking players? It was abundantly clear the first game of last season when we had Fenelon/O'Grady upfront and Crofts in a CAM position. I think fans have every right to feel disheartened if we dont have an 'attacking player' in by the start of the season.

We basically have one winger (March), with Lua Lua proving each season to offer so much then be hampered by either injury or indifferent form. A 30 minute player.

If people on here think we are making the top 6 then we honestly need 2 wingers and 1 attacking player in the ilk of Lingaard or Tex. Baldock and Hemed will get onto the end of balls into the box with service. I would seriously prioritise the attacking midfielders over another striker. Ulloa wouldnt have been able to score in this team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My starting point is to look at where the bookies have us, and that is firmly in mid-table.

On the one hand, this would be an improvement on last season's flirt with relegation, even if you disregard Sami's record and simply compare it with our record under Hughton.

However, our odds show there is clear blue water between us and even the likes of Brentford. Whilst I can live with being well behind the likes of Boro and Derby who are spending big, or Hull and Burnley who have parachute money, it is the fact we're behind Brentford and Bristol City that is difficult to accept.

The need to bring in a goalscorer has never been greater.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
whilst i can live with being well behind the likes of boro and derby who are spending big, or hull and burnley who have parachute money, it is the fact we're behind brentford and bristol city that is difficult to accept.

The need to bring in a goalscorer has never been greater.

this

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
You can certainly see why Iranian Ali decided to drag his heels, how could he be expected to improve if the players around him are not of a similar quality?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We finished just two places above the relegation zone because we couldn't score goals. Now, with 81 days gone since the end of last season and just 16 to go until the new season we've brought in just 4 players - 3 of whom play in defence.

If I wasn't so used to this situation every pre-season then, yes, I'd be a very worried man.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Might be an idea to wrap Bong, Dunk, Kayal & Hemed in cotton wool til Forest as would shudder to think what result would be with them missing

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Wouldn't it be better for everyone, if they just closed the window before the season started.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You can certainly see why Iranian Ali decided to drag his heels, how could he be expected to improve if the players around him are not of a similar quality?

Bit chicken and egg this though, isn't it?

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Right , I have a plan.
Everyone close there windows at 3 o clock today and everyday in protest to the football league.
They'l soon get the message

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Exactly. According to his agent we told them we are close to signing two PL players (this was after Rosenoir). So they decided to wait and see on that. What happened to them? Sounds like two more signings that we couldn't get over the line that the media have not picked up on. Plus, possibly, because of this we may have missed out on Ali.

Just like last summer, our transfer business is a shambles. We was all quick to blame Burke, but maybe the problem lies deeper.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Just hope and pray JFC stays :rolleyes:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wouldn't it be better for everyone, if they just closed the window before the season started.

Ideally yes.

But not every country's season starts at the same time, or even the same month. So UEFA imposed a pan-European transfer window.

PL clubs in particular wouldn't subscribe to a system whereby European clubs, who's seasons may start later, could continue to trade while for them the window was closed due to their season having started.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here