Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Press Release

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
Zamora Moves To Spurs

Bobby Zamora was signing for Premiership side Tottenham Hotspur today, after Albion chairman Dick Knight agreed a fee of £1.5m with his opposite number at Spurs Daniel Levy.

Zamora, who scored 83 memorable goals in 136 games for the Seagulls, travelled to White Hart Lane yesterday for a medical and personal terms were agreed last night, with the final details of the long drawn-out deal completed by the two chairmen today.

Knight said, "We're very sorry to lose Bobby, like all Albion fans I will miss him, but he deserves his chance in the Premiership. I'm sure he will enjoy success at the top level.

"Since we took him out of Bristol Rovers' reserves three years ago, he has been a terrific player for this club and has given everyone some wonderful memories.

"Some people may feel that £1.5m is not enough for a player of Zamora's potential, but in the current financial climate in football we have achieved an exceptional deal for a player from the Nationwide League - one of the highest ever from the second division. I was also able to persuade Daniel Levy to give us a sell-on percentage should Spurs ever sell Zamora for a figure above £1.5m.

"I have mixed feelings about this biggest-ever sale of an Albion player. But Bobby's mind was set on the Premiership, and as club we must now move on and focus on our aims for the coming season."

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
HAH Sell on clause...Well Done Knight :)

albeit if he go's for more than £1.5m though - Man Utd in 5 years time for £30mil anyone :D

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
sounds good.

we have a sell on clause....

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Well at least thats sometihng, When he gets signed by Real Madrid for 25 Million in a few years time we'll be laughing, of course he could do a robinson and stay there for twn years and we don't get another penny for him.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Got the sell-on then.

No matter how tight a ship/arse Dick is running, we will have to need this kind of investment at times.
Shame he didn't say anything about future signings though. Although i'm sure we'll hear about some by next week.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
all you people of litttle faith!

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
How much though?

5%? 10%? I hope its at least 20%

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Mental Lental said:
How much though?

5%? 10%? I hope its at least 20%

I hope it's about 10-15%. Anything more and if Bobby does the business, Spurs won't sell because the profit won't be enough.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The downward spiral that was predicted if we were relegated has started. Even if we have a mediocre season in Div 2, we have lost our star attraction and you can bet your bottom dollar that the season ticket take up will be half of what it was this year.

Keep it going Knight and we might not need Falmer after all

gezza

Jul 8, 2003
New Forest
Where is the press release then. Dick didnt say much on the one stating Bobby has gone.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Sorry but I don't agree with" we achieved an exceptional fee bit"
I have calmed down a little but still am disapointed with Dk's press release. I think the sell on clause bit is DK trying to save face, trying to justify the sale

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
well i'm with munster munch on this one...this club has been amateurish in the extreme over the last year or so, starting with the hinsh fiasco. selling your only star aset for a pittance isn't going to give me confidence that the future is bright. and all we ever hear is...dick knight knows what he's doing...trust him...blah blah blah. it's a poor deal even with a sell-on clause, which can't be that much cos the percentage isn't even quoted. mickey mouse club.

Van der Gully

Jul 10, 2003
Brunssum, NL
One assumes that any sell on fee doesn't include us paying one third to Bristol Rovers, in the long term we could do quite well out of this deal, despite loosing our star player in the short term.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
this is a red herring...there wont be a sell on in a couple of years because he will be on a bosman

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
this is a red herring...there wont be a sell on in a couple of years because he will be on a bosman
I agree with the above - transfers (as we all found out today) are not the thing they once were.

If BZ does well for Spurs they'll keep him. If he doesn't do well he'll go for less than £1.5 million, maybe loaned out or on a free.

It depends how long the contract he's signed is for. Anyone know?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here