Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion player of the season…. So far….

Albion player of the season…. So far….

• Ryan

Votes: 41 9.7%
  • Duffy

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Dunk

Votes: 100 23.7%
  • Bong

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Schelotto

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Stephens

Votes: 16 3.8%
  • Propper

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Knockaert

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Izquierdo

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • Gross

Votes: 176 41.7%
  • Murray

Votes: 69 16.4%

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like I said - it's a poll for Player of the Season.

And over the whole season, there are times when he has been brilliant. But then there are times when he has been poor, absent or anonymous. That's not an accusation I could level at Dunk, Duffy or Ryan, for example.

I'd suggest the games that you believe Groß was poor absent and anonymous will coincide with games where the wingers were poor, absent and anonymous.

No amount of quality can cover for the absence of the 3 other attack minded players.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My central point is that I feel so many people are voting for Gross on the back of recent performances and/or his stats. Maybe they're not, and feel he has contributed more than Dunk has done. Fair enough.

Meanwhile, I'm struggling to think of Dunk having had a poor game, while mostly having excellent games. Ryan's whoopsies were for 2-3 matches, Duffy similar. IMO Stephens and Propper have had far better games than people give them credit for. Gross' poor performances have been way more than that.

One of the reasons (not the only reason of course) we had a dip in results mid-season was Gross' poor performances. When he's good, he's brilliant, but when he's poor, he's anonymous.

Your reckoning has moved my vote from Dunk to Gross. If we've been collectively poor when Gross hasn't been on his game, I'm just thankful that he has delivered as much as he has, otherwise we'd be stuffed.

#TeamGross

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I could make a case for any of 7, but if you held a gun to my head I'd say Gross.

Dunk has been amazing, but Gross has been literally one of the best players in the entire league in his position.

My order at the moment would be:

Gross
Dunk
Murray
Stephens
Ryan
Duffy
Propper

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Alternatively:-

Which one of your children do you love more than all the others?
Exactly. There are several players I couldn't possibly choose between.

Still Dunk or Ryan for me, they kept us in a lot of games when things were harder. Voting for Maty, that penalty save at Stoke was crucial
As was Dunk's clearance immediately after.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Exactly. There are several players I couldn't possibly choose between.

As was Dunk's clearance immediately after.

Then Knockys Ryans Save off the line from the corner no to forget Knockys clearence of the second resulting corner. 5 mins that may have shaped our season!

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Salah, Firmino, Hazard, Mkhitaryan, Eriksen, Ozil, Mahrez.

None of these "world class" players have more assists than Gross this season. He is, by far, our POTS.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
if it was over the last few games, I would have gone for Izquierdo.
Agreed, he's brilliant. Chris gave March and Knocky more of a chance early season, and I understand that they'd earned it, but Izzy is just better. If he'd been picked from the start I think he'd be POTS.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Your reckoning has moved my vote from Dunk to Gross. If we've been collectively poor when Gross hasn't been on his game, I'm just thankful that he has delivered as much as he has, otherwise we'd be stuffed.

#TeamGross

Cracking logic.

So... given the contention when Gross is poor, the team is poor. And from that, that makes him our best player? So even though he has been poor at times, you're happy to vote for that. Fair enough.

As has been pointed out, we all have our reasons for choosing a given player. If we had an award for 'Potential Player of the Season If He Had Played Well Enough', Gross would walk it. But as it is, it's enough that his potential wins the day.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
SO difficult this (which is a great thing btw).

I've gone for Gross.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Cracking logic.

So... given the contention when Gross is poor, the team is poor. And from that, that makes him our best player? So even though he has been poor at times, you're happy to vote for that. Fair enough.

As has been pointed out, we all have our reasons for choosing a given player. If we had an award for 'Potential Player of the Season If He Had Played Well Enough', Gross would walk it. But as it is, it's enough that his potential wins the day.

This is the potential that has led to him being probably pound for pound the most influential player in the Premier League this season? I think he's realised quite a bit of that potential. If you want to talk about unrealised potential, perhaps we should shift our discussion onto Solly March.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Then Knockys Ryans Save off the line from the corner no to forget Knockys clearence of the second resulting corner.
All important, but the clearance off the line is to be expected. He was there, that was his job, he did as expected (thankfully it went to him). Dunk getting to that rebound first though was different. Any one of our team could have tried to do that, and I dare say there are others better equipped (physically) to do so - ie, quicker and more agile. But it's Dunk's fighting spirit that sets him apart. He doesn't switch off, he's always fighting for the cause. I've never seen anyone like him play for us.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cracking logic.

I think so, yes.

I was struggling to decide between Ryan, Dunk, Gross and Murray, and I'd not argue against any of them, but you've persuaded me that it is Gross based on your assertion that our results dipped when he was off his game. To carry this team to the heights of mid-table with his otherwise excellent performances is quite something.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you want to talk about unrealised potential, perhaps we should shift our discussion onto Solly March.
Give over, he's only 23 and this is his first season in the PL, and he's doing fine.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Gross. For me he is the player we'd miss the most.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
My central point is that I feel so many people are voting for Gross on the back of recent performances and/or his stats. Maybe they're not, and feel he has contributed more than Dunk has done. Fair enough.

Meanwhile, I'm struggling to think of Dunk having had a poor game, while mostly having excellent games. Ryan's whoopsies were for 2-3 matches, Duffy similar. IMO Stephens and Propper have had far better games than people give them credit for. Gross' poor performances have been way more than that.

One of the reasons (not the only reason of course) we had a dip in results mid-season was Gross' poor performances. When he's good, he's brilliant, but when he's poor, he's anonymous.

It’s not becoming to have such a regard for your own opinion, that you unfailingly present it as fact, and that you presuppose the thinking behind other people’s (wrong) choices.

Your vote for Dunk is hugely valid. He’s been brilliant.

As has Pascal Gross, and not occasionally brilliant mixed with lots of games when he’s been lazy/slow/lethargic/shit whatever other nonsense you suggested. People are not voting for Gross based on stats. They are voting based on performance. They are voting because they have consistently watched him setting up chance after chance after chance (not because a spreadsheet on a website tells them he has done so).

I wrote something about him in my Arsenal match report. Can’t be arsed to go and fetch the exact quote, but basically, that the creativity matched with the reliability / accuracy, is massively rare. It’s why his stats are up there with the likes of KdBruyne. He’s a rare talent.

Carry on bigging up Dunk, and rallying support for votes his way. More power to you. Telling people why their choice is wrong, based on your flawed opinion. Not so much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here