Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion nearly men

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure you're on the same wavelength as the OP was imagining.

Neil McNab played over a 100 times for the Albion. He very much 'made it' as an Albion player.

Yes, that's my opinion too. I'm a bit puzzled looking at his Wiki entry though - we apparantly bought him for £220K, but after three years flogged him off to Manchester City for a mere £35K. Obviously no slouch there - as player of the season he lead them back to the top flight and they made a decent profit selling him on for £125K.

Living far from Brighton, when there wasn't the media coverage as there is today so I was fairly out of touch - did something go seriously wrong with his time at the Albion? I remeber being pretty pleased when we signed him.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Yes, that's my opinion too. I'm a bit puzzled looking at his Wiki entry though - we apparantly bought him for £220K, but after three years flogged him off to Manchester City for a mere £35K. Obviously no slouch there - as player of the season he lead them back to the top flight and they made a decent profit selling him on for £125K.

Living far from Brighton, when there wasn't the media coverage as there is today so I was fairly out of touch - did something go seriously wrong with his time at the Albion? I remeber being pretty pleased when we signed him.

Neil McNab came to us as an exciting signing. A Spurs mate said to me at the time that he would be great for us. I believe as it turned out, that he did quite well for us but was not the fantastic signing expected, and as time went on, things started to go wrong. Check out the link below about him.

https://inparallellines.wordpress.c...d-for-before-becoming-a-manchester-city-star/

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was stunned then and I am now at how many people thought Rohan Ince was good when he broke into the team.

I thought he was absolutely appalling. Now playing for Woking.

Yup. People always got excited when he’d go and tackle someone - the ball going out of play in the process - after it was him that had lost the ball in the first place with a heavy touch.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Neil McNab came to us as an exciting signing. A Spurs mate said to me at the time that he would be great for us. I believe as it turned out, that he did quite well for us but was not the fantastic signing expected, and as time went on, things started to go wrong. Check out the link below about him.

https://inparallellines.wordpress.c...d-for-before-becoming-a-manchester-city-star/

I heard that he was fiery both on and off the pitch and maybe wouldn’t have passed our current player profile criteria.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
And scored an absolute screamer and looked absolutely mental in a post promotion photo.

Yes against QPR in front of the north stand at the Amex. I remember shouting hit it! when the ball bounced up to him about 25 yards out, and he duly obliged, what a goal! That though was pretty much the highlight of his short stay with us.

Remember that pic, wasn't it taken in his garden with him wearin g his number 8 shirt back to front?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

I was at the 5 a side competition at the Brighton Centre when McNab had to be pulled away from Alan Ball. He was a hot head and Ball had been winding him up. It was just a ‘friendly’ game as well.

For me Steve Penny was a good example of a nearly man. A really good player who played internationally for Northern Ireland but ultimately didn’t make it because of injuries.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was at the 5 a side competition at the Brighton Centre when McNab had to be pulled away from Alan Ball. He was a hot head and Ball had been winding him up. It was just a ‘friendly’ game as well.

For me Steve Penny was a good example of a nearly man. A really good player who played internationally for Northern Ireland but ultimately didn’t make it because of injuries.

Nearly what though? At least Steve Penny mad a good career for himself in professional football and represented his country to boot.

So many other Albion players only made a handful of appearances in the stripes, and faded from the scene almost as fast as they arrived.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here