Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion lost £38.9million in 2016/17

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Speculate to accumulate. Brilliant when it works.
Has it though?

Fag packet economics here:-

£40m to get £100m
£40+m to not quite be good enough.
£15+m, perhaps, to plug the obvious gap.

It hardly seems worth it when failure, more often than not, leads to disaster.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Has it though?

Fag packet economics here:-

£40m to get £100m
£40+m to not quite be good enough.
£15+m, perhaps, to plug the obvious gap.

It hardly seems worth it when failure, more often than not, leads to disaster.

I think you are naive to base it on one season.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
As a point of interest has any team, without parachute payments, gained promotion from the Championship losing less in the last 5 years? Burnley the first time maybe, Hull?

Getting promoted seems to be frighteningly expensive, but then the rewards are massive...
Ignore the exceptional £9m promotion costs, because they're to come (in reality) out of next year's money.

Burnley in 2014: £7.9m loss, but without promotion bonuses would have been break-even (turnover £19.6m)
[Burnley in 2016: £3.7m loss, but without promotion bonuses would have been £7.6m profit (turnover £40.0m)]

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Ignore the exceptional £9m promotion costs, because they're to come (in reality) out of next year's money.

Burnley in 2014: £7.9m loss, but without promotion bonuses would have been break-even (turnover £19.6m)
[Burnley in 2016: £3.7m loss, but without promotion bonuses would have been £7.6m profit (turnover £40.0m)]

At least Brighton and their fans haven't claimed achieving a "Fairytale Promotion" against all odds.....like Bournemouth.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

What were your parachute payments in 16?

If we'd have done it in '16, which we were a hairs breadth away as you know, it would have been a 25m loss rather than 40m, and a sizeable chunk of that was the training ground. Blooms big success was doubling down on the 16 season, selling no-one and adding the missing pieces (Murray, Duffy) that turned the near miss into comfortable promotion. It cost money, but perhaps one of the safer bets he's made at the Albion.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
£38m loss in a season that the Amex was pretty full.Its not as if we went on a mad spending spree is it.Duffy & Murray the only big signings I can think of. Obviously new contracts were awarded & big bonuses for promotion.
What is scary is if we get relegated this season & struggle next season how much money will we lose then.
I think the cost of running the Amex with all the restrictions imposed to get planning permission are not sustainable unless we are in the premier league.Staff costs total £40m so if we don’t have any players & staff we would only make 2m that is not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 29, 2011
£38m loss in a season that the Amex was pretty full.Its not as if we went on a mad spending spree is it.Duffy & Murray the only big signings I can think of. Obviously new contracts were awarded & big bonuses for promotion.
What is scary is if we get relegated this season & struggle next season how much money will we lose then.
I think the cost of running the Amex with all the restrictions imposed to get planning permission are not sustainable unless we are in the premier league.Staff costs total £40m so if we don’t have any players & staff we would only make 2m that is not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the long term plan is for the academy to start producing top talent, and so we can sell a player a season to break even. If we can hang in the PL for a few more seasons that should happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I tell you what pal, go support a Chinese, American, European, Asian owned team and then come back with your 'worrying' stats. Muppet.

Again I take your point and completely agree, although I'm missing it's relevance to 'lets not forget being in the Premier League is expensive'.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh how some of us whined when other clubs spent big last season and the season before.

Still we spend wisely.
Yes. It always irritates me when a club gets into financial trouble and everybody says "Oh the poor fans! It's not their fault!" I would argue that, yes, actually it is partly the fans' fault. Fans always demand investment, they want to keep up with Jones' and to do that the chairman must 'open his chequebook' in order to 'take the club to the next level'. And if he can't do that then he should get out of the way for someone who can. Then when it all goes tits up and they realise they've spent money they haven't got in order to reach a level they can't sustain - the fans blame everyone but themselves.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
As I understand tax matters (and I am far from an expert), these losses mean that the club will not pay any corporation tax. As a man with many associated business interests it also means that TB can offset these losses against profits in his other businesses and therefore not pay corporation tax on profits elsewhere, this saving him a bunch of cash. He is a clever man and I am sure will be right on top of money matters.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yes. It always irritates me when a club gets into financial trouble and everybody says "Oh the poor fans! It's not their fault!" I would argue that, yes, actually it is partly the fans' fault. Fans always demand investment, they want to keep up with Jones' and to do that the chairman must 'open his chequebook' in order to 'take the club to the next level'. And if he can't do that then he should get out of the way for someone who can. Then when it all goes tits up and they realise they've spent money they haven't got in order to reach a level they can't sustain - the fans blame everyone but themselves.

Very true. And we all hope/expect us to spend big in January too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here