Albion knock back Newcastle bid for winger

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Matt Ritchie plays down the right so, unless they'd switch Knockaert over, he'd be far from guaranteed a start at Newcastle, would he?

My thoughts exactly. Which suggests this move is as much about unsettling and, if successful, weakening potential promotion rivals.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
10 million will get us out of this division if well spent. Take the money if offered. 170 million when we get into the premiership. No brainer!!

So who do we buy for £10m that will have the same impact as Knockaert? Players like Anthony don't grow on trees, we were f'ing lucky to get him when we did and I seriously doubt lightning will strike twice. I honestly feel that if we sell Knockaert we'll be surrendering any ambition of getting promoted this season.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
^ Good. What's the betting all the "news" sites decide against using that for the basis of their next Knockaert update.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
So who do we buy for £10m that will have the same impact as Knockaert? Players like Anthony don't grow on trees, we were f'ing lucky to get him when we did and I seriously doubt lightning will strike twice. I honestly feel that if we sell Knockaert we'll be surrendering any ambition of getting promoted this season.

Especially as teams will know we've just sold Knockaert and have money to spend. It is our strongest position but Knockaert is the best option and will win us a lot of points this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Knockaert had been with us at the start of last season I think its safe to say we would have won the league by a good 10 points. Im sure that's obvious to the powers that be and for that reason I think they will play hard ball with this. For me he was the best player in the division and there is no way we should even consider selling. For what it's worth Nufc fans seem to rate hit and some don't. I see they have now activated release clause for a Villa centre half. I was reading that they wanted a winger, midfielder, left back and centre back by Friday. Appears they are half way there now ��

Its no good saying if we had had Knockaert all seasons as we didnt and couldnt have. We have him now lets hang on to him and see what happens.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

As much as you're right, and (honestly) I do agree.
AK is clearly the best winger we have, but he is the best of a very good bunch.

Skalak, March, Murphy, Rosenior, KLL, are all varying degrees of good championship wingers.
All helped by playing in a proper wingers team for a committed wing-play manager.

If the amount of money needed is what's stopping the club (Tony) from buying a jaw dropping #1 striker, I think begrudgingly I'd have to make that move.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If the amount of money needed is what's stopping the club (Tony) from buying a jaw dropping #1 striker, I think begrudgingly I'd have to make that move.

We have never spent big on strikers though have we. We even ****ed up the signing of that bloke from Bournemouth when he was on the way to sign, even that was only £3m wasn't it ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have never spent big on strikers though have we. We even ****ed up the signing of that bloke from Bournemouth when he was on the way to sign, even that was only £3m wasn't it ?
No, Tony has never spent big on a striker. (any conversation that has that opening gambit when £2.5m has been spent is f***ed up)
I get it, I understand why, I'm sure I'd be doing the same.
You only have to look at today's thread about the Villa player looking at a £90k a week contract next season, to know it's all wrong.

But in the meantime Tony has shelled out £X on 20+ loanee strikers all of which have been varying degrees of failure.

His staff have put together one of the most competitive squads in the division, easily the best in club history, but it still isn't good enough for promotion with just 3 recognised first team strikers, none of which are truly the Alpha-dog.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Agree they haven't finished yet with Knocky. They are certainly spending the cash though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports