Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion knock back Newcastle bid for winger

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Some of the comments on one of the Newcastle forums are encouraging:

'Both Knockaert and Ritchie are left footed right wingers'.

'There's a lot of bickering on Twitter over a questionable and vague link to Forestieri, nothing reported by a reliable source but the mass panic from Sheffield weds fans is pretty funny'

'Sheffield Wed fan pages doing polls of which fans are better with clear one sided results, it must be true! One even did a Sunderland hashtag just so we'd be outnumbered. So pathetic'.
:lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Should we as a club be entering the dangerous ground of pricing our players in relation to bids,should we say to Newcastle come back with xxx we will sell?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Should we as a club be entering the dangerous ground of pricing our players in relation to bids,should we say to Newcastle come back with xxx we will sell?
I think the figure quoted is journalist speculation, and not a price from the albion at all.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think the figure quoted is journalist speculation, and not a price from the albion at all.

I will agree,but should we,could we? say £15m and we sell.....personally i don't agree with it,but would it help.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
It's been said by many already, but we shouldn't sell at any price.

To all those saying it would be "good business to sell at £15m and reinvest in the team", I don't think they are seeing the whole picture. We can all agree that, in the time he has been with us and in the current market, Knockaert has become a £10-15m player.

We got an absolute bargain when we bought him for under £2m, and although I have total faith in our recruitment team, that deal would be difficult to replicate for a player of comparable quality.

Those saying we can just splash the £15m on another equally good player, this is delusional thinking. I've got no idea what Knocky is on, but I would guess under £20k a week. Players that go for £15m would want at least double that, which we would not be willing to pay, so signing a player for that price is not realistic, even if we could afford the transfer fee.

Refuse a sale at any price, even if Knockaert would quite fancy a move to Newcastle (and all things considered who could blame him). He doesn't seem like a sulker, and has three years remaining on his contract (we could even offer him an improved one to sweeten the deal - he's worth it). Refusing to sell our best players and adding quality will see a happy dressing room once again come 1 September.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cheer up Icy. Not all of this can be true. Surely ?

Selling any player for any price - bad news
Clubs bidding for any of our players even if we turn down the bid (even if they give up) - bad
Holding on to secure our targets, even if that means buying players in August - bad
Other clubs not bidding for rival clubs players - bad
Ensuring that clubs have to pay more for our players by tieing them down to long contracts - bad

:)

Nope, the only BAD as far as I am concerned would be to lose players to rivals and to go in to a season with one fit CB and half our midfield from last season. Don't you think any of that would be bad?

Oh and if that bit about Knocky wanting to move is true that is also bad

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Nope, the only BAD as far as I am concerned would be to lose players to rivals and to go in to a season with one fit CB and half our midfield from last season. Don't you think any of that would be bad?

Oh and if that bit about Knocky wanting to move is true that is also bad

If he's actually said it. Its part and parcel of any transfer to and fro these days.
As for the rest then aren't you heartened that Bloom has turned down £20m of offers from clubs for our players and is standing firm ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he's actually said it. Its part and parcel of any transfer to and fro these days.
As for the rest then aren't you heartened that Bloom has turned down £20m of offers from clubs for our players and is standing firm ?

Yes of course but we still have a month to go and those were only the opening gambits. You will not find a happier Albion fan if we arrive at the end of the transfer window having only sold Dunk or Stephens, I have accepted we are going to lose at least one player.

Maybe I should bugger off from NSC for a month...

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

That's all well and good Bloom standing firm but we all know if a player want to go,usually prompted by his agent, then he will.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I wonder whether Bloom and Barber are considering offering the key members of our squad vastly improved contracts. If we were to get Wilson back for just a seasons wages, surely the amount of money that some have speculated that we would throw at a marque striker, could be divided between the jewels in our crown. Well, some of it anyway. To keep these said players happy for the coming season and a real tilt at promotion/automatic promotion. Just a thought.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I would be able to accept, reluctantly, his departure to a current premiership club, although the damage to our prospects would be significant, but what message would it send to fans and players if he was sold to a direct rival. At that point you could understand Dunk, Stephens maybe pushing for a move also. We don't have anyone to compare with AK and would be surprised if we could find similar for the prices we look to pay anywhere. I get the comments re we could invest the proceeds in the squad but we have a poor record when doing this historically and would the damage to moral be terminal? But its not my money so I don't, unfortunately, get to make the decision.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Interesting snippet - i mean what are they supposed to say - but its hardly all done and dusted if you fear the worst.

PS: rather confusingly this looks like an exchange of fans who on Twitter go by the names and avatars of er, Bruno and Knockeart

[tweet]759717136176549889[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here