Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion knock back Newcastle bid for winger

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It would show a major lack of ambition to sell a star player to a championship rival.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It would show a major lack of ambition to sell a star player to a championship rival.

Spot on.

Reading the (Newcastle) local press, The Toon seem to have got it in their heads that we will fold @ £10M... I sincerely hope not...

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I still remember us refusing to sell Steve Penney to Arsenal and him getting injured soon afterwards and never being quite the same player.

There comes a point where the money being offered, and what an astute recruitment team could do with it, becomes impossible to turn down. I think £10m would be close to that amount. And as has been said, we're not short of wingers. £6 on a new striker, £3 on another central defender, and an improved contract offer to Solly March, not to mention a massive boost to Solly's confidence from us selling the player who would have kept him out of the team.

On the other hand, not selling him will be a statement to the rest of the squad and the rest of the division. So we can't lose in this situation unless we keep him and he gets injured. Or sulks.

I like the idea of a win win situation for us but for me AK is a long way ahead of Solly in terms of ability and what he gives to the team. He is the one player I believe we have who can win the game on his own with one moment of brilliance. Solly is not there yet and has got a few years of maturing to do before he gets there and bear in mind he will not be fit until September and will take a while to get up to speed. For me selling AK to a rival whatever the price will be significant backwards move.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Spot on.

Reading the (Newcastle) local press, The Toon seem to have got it in their heads that we will fold @ £10M... I sincerely hope not...

I think that's what they offered originally, and we turned it down. So I assume our asking price is a lot more than that.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd be rather saddened indeed if I didn't get to see our puff-chested, quite beaky, little swivel artiste not pump his way up the wing for us for another season. He's the sort of player you become quickly attached to for his flair and work rate and wish to be at centre stage for local applause. Money'll come into it more for him than us, and, dishearteningly, aspiration and togetherness can be culled in a player when tripled earnings are dangled to within a meagre breath of their fingertips for lengthy periods. I hope that the character of Chris H and the gentle dreamery he softly sells will give our stars a sense of worth outside of the potential bulge in their pockets, and that perhaps the signing or two we all crave gives those who just about choose to remain the idea that we are at this level, with these wages, for just another season.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I'd be rather saddened indeed if I didn't get to see our puff-chested, quite beaky, little swivel artiste not pump his way up the wing for us for another season. He's the sort of player you become quickly attached to for his flair and work rate and wish to be at centre stage for local applause. Money'll come into it more for him than us, and, dishearteningly, aspiration and togetherness can be culled in a player when tripled earnings are dangled to within a meagre breath of their fingertips for lengthy periods. I hope that the character of Chris H and the gentle dreamery he softly sells will give our stars a sense of worth outside of the potential bulge in their pockets, and that perhaps the signing or two we all crave gives those who just about choose to remain the idea that we are at this level, with these wages, for just another season.

Exquisitely put, MB. I heartily concur.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Spot on.

If its the Shield Gazette , then there is no talk of folding. or selling.
" Brighton are desperate to hold on to Knockaert, signed from Standard Liege for £2.6million in January, and manager Chris Hughton is under no pressure to sell.
The Seagulls have already knocked back offers for defender Lewis Dunk and midfielder Dale Stephens this summer from Crystal Palace and Burnley respectively.
And chairman Tony Bloom wants to keep Hughton’s squad together ahead of a renewed promotion challenge.
http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport...-newcastle-target-anthony-knockaert-1-8041981

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
If its the Shield Gazette , then there is no talk of folding. or selling.
" Brighton are desperate to hold on to Knockaert, signed from Standard Liege for £2.6million in January, and manager Chris Hughton is under no pressure to sell.
The Seagulls have already knocked back offers for defender Lewis Dunk and midfielder Dale Stephens this summer from Crystal Palace and Burnley respectively.
And chairman Tony Bloom wants to keep Hughton’s squad together ahead of a renewed promotion challenge.
http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport...-newcastle-target-anthony-knockaert-1-8041981

Northern Echo have this to say:

"Given that Knockaert still has three years of his current contract remaining, Brighton are in a reasonably strong negotiating position, having also turned down substantial bids for Lewis Dunk and Dale Stephens this summer.

"However, Newcastle officials hope the lure of a possible move to St James’ Park proves a strong one, and will make further contact with Brighton officials in the next 48 hours in an attempt to broker a deal."
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/14651130.Newcastle_hoping_to_force_through_Anthony_Knockaert_deal/?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

"Given that Knockaert still has three years of his current contract remaining, Brighton are in a reasonably strong negotiating position, having also turned down substantial bids for Lewis Dunk and Dale Stephens this summer.

"However, Newcastle officials hope the lure of a possible move to St James’ Park proves a strong one, and will make further contact with Brighton officials in the next 48 hours in an attempt to broker a deal."
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/14651130.Newcastle_hoping_to_force_through_Anthony_Knockaert_deal/?

I have a cunning plan.

If all our officials hide behind the settee, Newcastle will think we're all our, and bugger off somewhere else.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When we signed Knockaert I was told that the widely reported fee of £2.6m, which has been recycled many times since, was off the mark and we paid below £2m. Not that it really matters.

Indeed. But [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] didn't suggest he is sulking. He said this could play out badly for us if Knockaert fancies the move, we don't allow it, and then he sulks. Future tense. Not present/past.

Maybe I should have clarified it by adding 'so far'.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016

If he goes then I'll forget this season.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
This is when team spirit will really be tested &if as I hope they are truly #together then his team mates will do the necessary & he will stay & smash a brace past the Toon when we play them.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
If he goes then I'll forget this season.

I don't think one player makes the team but my fear is if he goes, Stephens, Dunk and Kayal may well ask questions and at very least I feel his departure would unsettle the core of the squad. At this point I too would have to concede to this season being more of treading water and rebuilding before we have another go the season after.
I do wonder if Newcastle actually really want him or if they are just trying to unsettle us on the lead up to the opening day.
I'd be surprised if he goes, very surprised.
In Tony Bloom we trust.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I can see Bloom turning down 10 million for him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With all the fees being branded about it has to be remembered that together they are only a portion of what is available if we get promoted and if TB can afford it he wont want to sell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here