Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Invasions

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We got our arses kicked by them more than once. Although I'm sure PPF will be along to claim glorious victory is some minor incident.
The away games were always a bit dodgy, the walk from the train station to the ground especially!

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
The Dean Wilkins last minute free kick that stopped the Champagne popping at Barnsley (?)

That's the one, still have no idea how he hit that left-footed from the left touchline and it found it's way into the far corner !! That's how I remember it anyway, was a while ago

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The recent debate, as well as Jonathan Wilson's article yesterday, got me thinking about the best Albion pitch invasions I have participated in.

In no particular order, the following come to mind:

Shrewsbury Town 2001. Lost 3-0 but got promoted for the first time in ages. Great atmosphere on the pitch, chatted with some shrews. Managed to get into away end despite it being sold out.

Notts County 2011. The Meadow Lane Love In. This was actually a home fan invasion. They chanted "you are going up". We chanted "you are staying up". :kiss:

Walsall 2011. Foil trophies. Benett's goal. Lovely stuff.

Falmer 2017. Obviously. Singing about Kolo Toure the highlight.

Any advances?

Didn’t Knockeart try to start that from the Directors Box ? A bit embarrassing but moved on swiftly.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The irony of Nathan Jones being critical of pitch invasions is that he poured his champagne all over me while we were dancing together on the pitch at Withdean after beating Cheaterfraud in 2001!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
3 decades
3 grounds
3 invasions

York
Chesterfield
Wigan

Same shirt each time, that nice Sandtex 3rd kit.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
'78 last match of the season beating Blackpool 2-0 as Southampton and Spurs did the 0-0 stitch-up. Nobby gave a rousing speech from the Director's box, telling us we were going up next season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bristol Rovers 2-8

Did we have a pitch invasion that day? I was there, but don't remember it. Almost certainly, as was quite usual back in the day, I'd have crossed the pitch to leave by the gate at the SE corner, the one nearest the station!

Pitch invasions? - for me: Rochdale 1972 and Walsall 2011.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
'78 last match of the season beating Blackpool 2-0 as Southampton and Spurs did the 0-0 stitch-up. Nobby gave a rousing speech from the Director's box, telling us we were going up next season.

I was going to mention that one, simply as it was probably the first time I'd been on a pitch :lolol:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Did we have a pitch invasion that day? I was there, but don't remember it. Almost certainly, as was quite usual back in the day, I'd have crossed the pitch to leave by the gate at the SE corner, the one nearest the station!

Pitch invasions? - for me: Rochdale 1972 and Walsall 2011.

Rochdale '72 was an epic night. 35,000 in the ground and 10,000 locked out? That is how it was reported anyway.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wasn't there a pitch invasion after Albion beat MASSIVE in 1977 to start the run upstairs.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Rochdale '72 was an epic night. 35,000 in the ground and 10,000 locked out? That is how it was reported anyway.

I'm not sure that many were locked out. It's a bit like the 10,000-12,000 myth at Newcastle 1979 (it was 4,500-5,000 as reported at the time)

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
St James's Park 1979, the day we got promoted to the top tier for the first time ever. All we wanted was to see and cheer Mullery, but the police were never going to let that happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here