Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Hero rescued from Lancashire Flea Market

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I was wandering around a place called Bygone days in Eccleston (S of Preston) the other day when I found this:-

billyhayes.jpg

So I rang my son at home to check Billy Hayes' records in Carder/Harris and discovered that he
  • was goalkeeper between 1921-25
  • made 225 appearances and 175 consecutive appearances
  • Only conceded in 34 goals in season 1922/3 (still a club record?); and
  • from December 23 to January 24 he kept 7 consecutive clean sheets (still a club record ?).
So I thought he deserved better. So I have rescued him and he's now going on the wall alongside the Centenary Legends poster, Fans Mosaic poster, piccys of Goldstone, Millenium win etc, etc.

D

Deleted User X18H

Scored in a reserve match my old man used to tell me. (told to him by his father)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What a lovely find.

I have just been reading about him in SEAGULLS! The Story of Brighton and Hove Albion FC. Not a great deal about him. I would be interested to know what he got up to during the war. Seemingly he made a guest appearance for Burnley.

Overall appearances FL 167 SL 42 FAC 16

They've got lots of records at the back of the book, but none about goalkeeping feats.

He is 4th in the consecutive appearance list.

247 - Eric Gill
194 - Peter O'Sullivan
193 - Jack Bertolini
174 - Billy Hayes
146 - Gary Williams

What a lovely find.

I have just been reading about him in SEAGULLS! The Story of Brighton and Hove Albion FC. Not a great deal about him. I would be interested to know what he got up to during the war. Seemingly he made a guest appearance for Burnley.

Overall appearances FL 167 SL 42 FAC 16

They've got lots of records at the back of the book, but none about goalkeeping feats.

He is 4th in the consecutive appearance list.

247 - Eric Gill
194 - Peter O'Sullivan
193 - Jack Bertolini
174 - Billy Hayes
146 - Gary Williams

Why isn't Vicente on the list ?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Didn't Kuipers break the clean sheet record with something like 10 matches in a row ?

Nice find though

I think most people with knowledge of this guy will miss this thread, because most people don't have time to open every vaguely titled thread to discover the real subject. Apart from the few hundred regulars, I think the majority of the 7000 active members just scan their eye down the pages of titles and pick out just those that interest them.

Scored in a reserve match my old man used to tell me. (told to him by his father)
So make sure you tell your son! Was it a penalty or a long kick? (I don't think they ventured up front in those days!)

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Has anyone told Tim Carder (aka The history Man) about this. excellent candidate for the museum ... We must be light on actual material from the early days of the albion that aren't already known about (team phots etc)

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone told Tim Carder (aka The history Man) about this. excellent candidate for the museum ... We must be light on actual material from the early days of the albion that aren't already known about (team phots etc)

Owe him an Almanac report so will tell him about this too!

MissT

Nov 16, 2009
Snap! I found the self same framed photograph in Lancashire. It was hanging on the wall in a pub in Croston - a tiny, pretty village (named at the bottom of the picture). I have a friend who lives in the village and visit her from time to time, especially when Albion are playing nearby. I took it as a good luck omen when I first saw it...we travelled over to Oldham, I think, and saw the team take the three points! When I heard that the pub was going to be refurbished, I asked my friend to look out for the photo and she managed to save it for me. This must have been about a eighteen months ago. I then passed it on to Tim Carder, in case he wanted it for the museum.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Great find!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Snap! I found the self same framed photograph in Lancashire. It was hanging on the wall in a pub in Croston - a tiny, pretty village (named at the bottom of the picture). I have a friend who lives in the village and visit her from time to time, especially when Albion are playing nearby. I took it as a good luck omen when I first saw it...we travelled over to Oldham, I think, and saw the team take the three points! When I heard that the pub was going to be refurbished, I asked my friend to look out for the photo and she managed to save it for me. This must have been about a eighteen months ago. I then passed it on to Tim Carder, in case he wanted it for the museum.

Bizarre, do you think there were two photos the same in the same pub? I have to admit I did think when I saw it it looked as though it came from a pub! Or perhaps Tim didn't want it in the end and flogged it back to the flea market where I got it from!!

MissT

Nov 16, 2009
Bizarre, do you think there were two photos the same in the same pub? I have to admit I did think when I saw it it looked as though it came from a pub! Or perhaps Tim didn't want it in the end and flogged it back to the flea market where I got it from!!

I hope he wouldn't be that cruel! He told me that there were quite a few items for the museum and that I may not see the picture exhibited all the time as items will be shown on a rotational system. Hopefully, it will be on show one day, whenever the museum is set up. If not, you're theory might be correct!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here