Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion going to Dubai

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I always look up situations using Amnesty or, even better, HRW. Gives an overview of what is actually happening

Not much to do with Dubai though, about which @hart's shirt was replying.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Human Rights Watch documented six cases of severe and repeated beatings and five cases of sexual harassment in police custody between 2019 and 2022

How does that compare to the Met ?
I expected this response from someone. Which means the article has not been properly considered.

These are cases that HRW has evidenced.

From this, the nature and circumstance of the arrests, it is clear that such occurrence is as a result of law enforcement policy. It is also clear that reported cases will therefore represent a tiny fraction of actual cases.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
What's unhelpful is that people tend to lump all of the Middle Eastern countries in together as if they were all the same.

As anyone who's ever spent any time there, they're really not. The likes of Cyprus and Lebanon are a world apart from Yemen and Iran.
Now, this is a fair comment in general, but who the hell do you know who lumps Cyprus and Iran together?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not much to do with Dubai though, about which @hart's shirt was replying.
Consensual sexual relations in Dubai are punishable with imprisonment of up to 10 years.

In the UAE, women who are raped are often better off not reporting it as they can be jailed for extra-marital sex.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Football team goes to train in Dubai shocker!

Leave Politics out of Sport
a naive ... the whole world cup is about politics and show boating the country that hosts it. Newcastle are owned indirectly by a government ... just two examples .

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not a bad time to go to Dubai when everyone’s much more interested in the egregious human rights abuses in Qatar TBH

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Jeez, some people don't half moan, bet loads on this forum have had a holiday or two in Dubai......are they getting frowned upon too ??o_O

Next people will be saying they won't watch the WC ! It won't change anything though will it.
Yeh right, in some people's world, holidays in Dubai are just, well, fairly normal. Everybody has them, don't they? Just maybe not more than once a year.................

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Aren’t we ( or some people) getting carried away with all this? If the Albion were to go, we need to know that Dubai is not Qatar. I know several people who have regularly had holidays in Dubai, and others that have worked there.
We need to appreciate that not all the world thinks the same way that Britain does , and learn to live with it

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
slight change of tack on this thread...

Does anyone know the dates the team will be out there? and where they are likely to train? and if any of it will have public access?

One of my best mates has lived there 20 years and his youngest, who is 11, Dubai born and bred, is Albion MAD. He would go nuts for the chance just to clap eyes on Dunk, Webster, Welbeck, Lallana etc. Trouble is, they are leaving the UAE on 13th Dec for a christmas holiday, so depending on the dates, he might miss his chance...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
slight change of tack on this thread...

Does anyone know the dates the team will be out there? and where they are likely to train? and if any of it will have public access?

One of my best mates has lived there 20 years and his youngest, who is 11, Dubai born and bred, is Albion MAD. He would go nuts for the chance just to clap eyes on Dunk, Webster, Welbeck, Lallana etc. Trouble is, they are leaving the UAE on 13th Dec for a christmas holiday, so depending on the dates, he might miss his chance...
Think it’ll be before then……..we’re playing Villa in a friendly over there, and they have another on 15/12 back in the UK so will likely be back at least a couple of days before that. Implied in the link below that both teams are flying out around the end of November (after a two week break).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Southern Spain would be better, but Dubai seems the favoured spot these days

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Consensual sexual relations in Dubai are punishable with imprisonment of up to 10 years.

In the UAE, women who are raped are often better off not reporting it as they can be jailed for extra-marital sex.
they are easing up on the consensual unmarried sex thing ....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Aren’t we ( or some people) getting carried away with all this? If the Albion were to go, we need to know that Dubai is not Qatar. I know several people who have regularly had holidays in Dubai, and others that have worked there.
We need to appreciate that not all the world thinks the same way that Britain does , and learn to live with it
that doesn't fit with the outrage everyone has to show though

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Think it’ll be before then……..we’re playing Villa in a friendly over there, and they have another on 15/12 back in the UK so will likely be back at least a couple of days before that. Implied in the link below that both teams are flying out around the end of November (after a two week break).

“playing Villa”…. Yeah, I think I’ll give that classic a miss….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here