Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Flops

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
wooow, Dale Jasper.
I had completely & totally forgotten about him.
Someones gonna have to remind me, what was his 'thing'.

'Mad Dog' Kennedy, deffo, esp as his only claim to fame, being Maria Whittaker.
Any game Robert Codnor played in that was either meaningless, against 'lesser' opposition, or cold & wet. (form an orderly queue to dish out the 'kickin').

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Kitson scored twice as many goals as Barrett in a fraction of the games played!!!

Barrett only missed about 4 games and scored once!!! Kiston only played about 4 and scored twice!!! Yet everyone always has a go at Kitson and glosses over the fact that Barrett couldn't hit a barn door from 1 yard!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Stst Brother said:
'Mad Dog' Kennedy, deffo, esp as his only claim to fame, being Maria Whittaker.
Any game Robert Codnor played in that was either meaningless, against 'lesser' opposition, or cold & wet. (form an orderly queue to dish out the 'kickin').

I have to disagree with your sentiments regarding Kennedy and Codner and here's why:

Kennedy - OK he was a TART but he did score some goals for us and provided knock-downs for other forwards at the time. In the league cup game against ManUre the ball was kicked upfield by the keeper and he killed it dead with one of the neatest bits of skill I have ever seen from an Albion player.

Codner - yes in his latter years with us he went missing a lot but he was often driving forward from midfield in the play-off season. One typical goal was his one against Millwall in the play-off semi. I think he just started to believe the hype from his own agent and thought he no longer had to turn up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The absolute reason for my exemptions.

Suppose this should go on a new thread, but can anyone think of a goal scored from further out, for the Albion, than his @ Plymouth???.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Dirk Lehman
David Lee
Graham Barrett
Paul Kitson
Geoff Pitcher
Damien Hilton
Dave Turner
... and a few more

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
chips and gravy said:
Which goals would they be then? I think you'll find that he never scored for us in a whole season.

I agree that he probably should have got more of a chance but he never looked like scoring in a million years - a bit of an impediment for a striker

Well, admittedly I was surprised when I came to look at this, I remembered him being better than the following statistic BUT it does prove that he DID score for the albion:

Andy Ansah's Brighton and Hove Albion career:
10 starts
3 goals

better than others and I believe better than to be included in this thread about Brighton 'flops'.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
the full harris said:
Well, admittedly I was surprised when I came to look at this, I remembered him being better than the following statistic BUT it does prove that he DID score for the albion:

10 starts
3 goals

better than others and I believe better than to be included in this thread about Brighton 'flops'.

Where did you get these stats? I looked at the 1998/9 season, when we were still at Gillingham. He didn't score a single goal then - was he here the previous season? If so I don't remember him. He'd gone by the time we came back to Withdean - one of the many that Micky got rid of in his massive clearout.

I also remember that he played most of his matches as sub

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
chips and gravy said:
Where did you get these stats? I looked at the 1998/9 season, when we were still at Gillingham. He didn't score a single goal then - was he here the previous season? If so I don't remember him. He'd gone by the time we came back to Withdean - one of the many that Micky got rid of in his massive clearout.

I also remember that he played most of his matches as sub

Yes he was here the previous season, 1997-98 and that is when he scored his three goals. Rather sadly I remember one of them which was at the Priestfield when he raced, yes raced, onto a through ball from someone or other and finished cooly past the keeper. It was a good finish I thought. It was at the end which at the time was the terrace with no roof where we never, apart from the doncaster fans united 2 game, had any spectators.

here is my source

Yes he played most of his matches as sub and in my opinion should have started more, especially in his first season when Barker couldn't score for anything.

Anyway, enough of this anal stat/goal recollecting from those dark days. This really is the most pointless argument.
I thought he was alright, you apparently didn't.
End of!

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Mark Omerod
Stephan jovan ( Ok the spelling is probably wrong )
Ally Dick
Gavin Geddes
David Gipp
Jack Dineen
Mike Gatting ( Playing in Steve's testimonial )
Stuart Munday ( Apart from that goal at Leicester ) to name a few

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
the full harris said:
got to disagree again.
neither of these two could be called 'flops' in my book.

I agree with you on this one!

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
the full harris said:

10 starts
3 goals

I bow to your superior knowledge here!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Some 'fine' names there. Personally i think the all time worst player who really stands out was Mark Farrington. The only one who came close to his utter shiteness was Ashley Neale.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Mick Fergerson
Alan Biley
Frank Worthington
Mickey Thomas
Frank Stapleton
Willie Young

All quality big name players in their day, but all either past their best or never played to their potential.

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
bha.fatboy said:
Mark Omerod
Ally Dick
Gavin Geddes
David Gipp
Jack Dineen

The flop that was Ormeroyd that kept the score at 1-1 with a point blank save with 5 minutes to go @ Hereford???

I thought he was one of our better players that season and does not deserve to be in the flop category

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Every goal Stuart Munday scored was spectacular and he should never be considered a flop.

Considering the money spent Jason Peake would just about edge out Farrington as my all time flop.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
bha.fatboy said:
Mark Omerod
Ally Dick
Gavin Geddes
David Gipp
Jack Dineen

4 of them were good players slim, I'll let you off with Ally Dick & Jack Dineen, in fact I'll agree with you. :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here