Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion fanzine: Dogma

Great article on Poppy Day. Almost exactly my rant every winter.

Yes it was a brilliant article, one of the bravest pieces of sports writing you’ll read. Kind of opinions that if you posted on here would get you half a dozen Fash adjacent types following you round the site for months trying to mob you

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Dogma is a superb fanzine and I treasure my subscription. But……..

Ironically this example of the dogma that this anti-potter writer shits out:

“the person in the dugout is (and always will be) responsible for the results on the pitch. A truism he’d do well to remember.”

Is utter BS along with most of the other nonsense they spout out in the article.

I honestly didn't read it as anti-Potter. I'm a big GP fan, really. 'Potterball' is right up my alley, and I do admire the person he comes across as. But that doesn't mean I can't want to criticise things, double negatives aside. The article to me reads logically - recently, for whatever reason, the defence has been comparatively less than formidable, and we struggle to score. We criticised the mighty Chris Hughton for all sorts of things, (Leon Best, Liam Ridgewell) so we should feel free to voice (seemingly constantly, on NSC) opinions on the whys and wherefores of our goal-scoring impotence. It felt like a timely article, given the state of the season.

I could give them the names of three people who weren’t managers but were responsible for our horrific results in the late 90’s but never let facts get in the way of a good rant eh?

You're not blaming anyone else, are you?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

“the person in the dugout is (and always will be) responsible for the results on the pitch. A truism he’d do well to remember.”

Is utter BS along with most of the other nonsense they spout out in the article. I could give them the names of three people who weren’t managers but were responsible for our horrific results in the late 90’s but never let facts get in the way of a good rant eh?

Well, what is the person in the dugout responsible for? Cleaning the kit? Driving the bus?

Seems to me that when we win it’s down to Potterball and when we lose it’s the players fault, the fans for shouting ‘shoot’, Tony for not buying players, Barber for taking our bottle tops etc.

Teflon Graham seems to have the best job at the club - Responsible for nothing except our victories.

I’m going overboard, but I’d say the manager does have to say the buck stops with them if results aren’t going our way.

And I am not yet Potter out. Not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Is utter BS along with most of the other nonsense they spout out in the article. I could give them the names of three people who weren’t managers but were responsible for our horrific results in the late 90’s but never let facts get in the way of a good rant eh?

…… it was a glorious aberration of [….] £3.50 pints of Carling amongst the cliched craft ale establishments of Highbury & Islington.

Rolls eyes

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I subscribed off the back of this thread. First issue I got was issue 3 I think. Was ok but had a very bizarre article about a bloke having a mental breakdown in a pub and then coming out as a cross dresser and that basically sums up the theme of their publication....not a great deal about the Albion.

I didn't bother reading the next two that turned up until in the week just gone when I had some time to kill on a train. Issue five has one jokey prediction article which was Brighton related the rest was just ranting. A huge rant about the Newcastle take over which turns into an attack on the Tories. Followed on the next page an article about how politics should be kept out of football but anyone who wears a poppy is racist!

Nearly didn't bother with issue 6 off the back of that but still had half an hour on the train and had nothing better to do (you can read it cover to cover in 20 mins as it's mainly pictures of "cool" things like chaps walking through underpasses). Glad I did as its the best one of the lot......because most if not all of the stories were about the football club!!

Basically if you are a hipster who likes pictures of graffiti and spilt bovril you'll probably get on with it. Wasn't for me and I object to being called a fascist for remembering those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for this country so I won't be subscribing again next season. I'd rather give my money to RBL.

I like the stickers though....not sure where I meant to stick them though? Is there a sticker book I missed?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Followed on the next page an article about how politics should be kept out of football but anyone who wears a poppy is racist!
Wasn't for me and I object to being called a fascist for remembering those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for this country so I won't be subscribing again next season. I'd rather give my money to RBL.

I’m glad I didn’t subscribe.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Well, what is the person in the dugout responsible for? Cleaning the kit? Driving the bus?

Seems to me that when we win it’s down to Potterball and when we lose it’s the players fault, the fans for shouting ‘shoot’, Tony for not buying players, Barber for taking our bottle tops etc.

Teflon Graham seems to have the best job at the club - Responsible for nothing except our victories.

I’m going overboard, but I’d say the manager does have to say the buck stops with them if results aren’t going our way.

And I am not yet Potter out. Not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is only so much the manager can do.

Yes - the manager has to take some responsibility but it’s a team sport with the non-playing staff too. Potter has had the very best support from Barber & Bloom but there is something not quite right about our recruitment team. The finishing ability of most of our players is Championship level or lower for others.

Blame the manager? Yes. Blame him 100% as advocated in the child like article? What utter utter nonsense.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
If you discount the unsophisticated 6th form style of politics, whats left isnt a bad read.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Whatever your opinions on Potter, and whatever stick people choose to wield to beat him with - NOT taking responsibility for bad form / results is about the worst take I can imagine. He absolutely takes responsibility onto himself - always.

NorwichSeagull

Nov 15, 2010

Attachments

• Farah_FARAH DOGMA.jpg
    Farah_FARAH DOGMA.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 202

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I subscribed off the back of this thread. First issue I got was issue 3 I think. Was ok but had a very bizarre article about a bloke having a mental breakdown in a pub and then coming out as a cross dresser and that basically sums up the theme of their publication....not a great deal about the Albion.

I didn't bother reading the next two that turned up until in the week just gone when I had some time to kill on a train. Issue five has one jokey prediction article which was Brighton related the rest was just ranting. A huge rant about the Newcastle take over which turns into an attack on the Tories. Followed on the next page an article about how politics should be kept out of football but anyone who wears a poppy is racist!

Nearly didn't bother with issue 6 off the back of that but still had half an hour on the train and had nothing better to do (you can read it cover to cover in 20 mins as it's mainly pictures of "cool" things like chaps walking through underpasses). Glad I did as its the best one of the lot......because most if not all of the stories were about the football club!!

Basically if you are a hipster who likes pictures of graffiti and spilt bovril you'll probably get on with it. Wasn't for me and I object to being called a fascist for remembering those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for this country so I won't be subscribing again next season. I'd rather give my money to RBL.

I like the stickers though....not sure where I meant to stick them though? Is there a sticker book I missed?

Sounds a bit like NSC with added stickers

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Got home tonight to find latest Dogma had arrived. Not had a chance to read any of it yet but great sticker montage on the front and inclusion of a rather smart Pascal Gross sticker. Amongst other bits.

Jul 7, 2003
Got home tonight to find latest Dogma had arrived. Not had a chance to read any of it yet but great sticker montage on the front and inclusion of a rather smart Pascal Gross sticker. Amongst other bits.

Got mine the other day but saving it to read on a long train journey this week. The Gross sticker is great but I had to look in the inside cover to work out who the other one was.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Some old bloke in the new one has written another tedious piece all about himself. AGAIN. Nice stickers mind.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Got mine the other day but saving it to read on a long train journey this week. The Gross sticker is great but I had to look in the inside cover to work out who the other one was.

Yep. The beard- if it is a beard was slightly confusing!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Just renewed my Dogma subscription and waiting for the latest issue eagerly.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
My podcast, Albion Obsessed, recently chatted to James of Dogma about the story behind the fanzine.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I've just received the latest edition, a splendid effort.
It's worth getting just to see the collection of photos.

😎📸
I understand there is a brilliant set of photos from Qatar. I've heard the photographer is just a highly talented local amateur. Unbelievable. If he had Caceido's agent he'd be working on Vogue or Cosmopolitan by now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here