[Albion] Albion accounts 2020/21 [Loss reduced to £53.4m from £67.2m ]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What makes you think all of those players are returning this summer? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that I’ve not heard anything to suggest they are, bar pretty strong hints on Undav.

I had assumed at least half of them will stay out on loan or in some cases loans made permanent, as usually happens.

I think you're right. Most of those will be loaned again. I expect we will recall Mitoma and Undav and maybe Khadra, but also Van Hecke. The rest I don't expect to see in our squad next season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not that convinced in Khadra. Although he has some great very raw ability - he finds himself horribly out of position quite a lot, and his final ball isn't great that I am not sure a step up is for him yet. I got to England games with a Blackburn fan and we discussed on Saturday and had similar opinion. Definitely needs another loan or selling / releasing I imagine

4 Goals, 3 Assists in 27 games at Championship doesn't make me think Premier League ready

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just a gravy train for players and senior staff. .

Maybe but not much of a gravy train for Bloom given he's now coughed up nearly £500m of his fortune to pay for it and another £32m in 2021/22 according to the accounts.

And i'm sure the 2,200 people who rely on the club for their jobs, careers, and businesses would probably have a different view
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1288047

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not that convinced in Khadra. Although he has some great very raw ability - he finds himself horribly out of position quite a lot, and his final ball isn't great that I am not sure a step up is for him yet. I got to England games with a Blackburn fan and we discussed on Saturday and had similar opinion. Definitely needs another loan or selling / releasing I imagine

4 Goals, 3 Assists in 27 games at Championship doesn't make me think Premier League ready

He is a little bit... wild and unpolished. Not the most clever player yet. But there is lots of raw potential in him.

I could see him in the squad next season but not as a starter, far from. Another loan (Bundesliga?) could also be on the table.

Either way I think he'll get to play a few friendlies in the summer.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Not sure you pay VAT on people [emoji23]

Thankfully, I think slavery was abolished a while ago.

Charging VAT on the transfer of a player's registration is feasible though. Not that charging VAT would make much difference to the club - it's the likes of you and I that are the source of all VAT payments made by the club to HMRC.

Any VAT the club pays on a transfer (and I suspect it is VATable) just gets knocked off the amount it passes on to HMRC that was collected on ticket sales and so on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What makes you think all of those players are returning this summer? I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that I’ve not heard anything to suggest they are, bar pretty strong hints on Undav.

I had assumed at least half of them will stay out on loan or in some cases loans made permanent, as usually happens.
Technically speaking I think they'll all come back, unless a pre-agreed loan-to-buy option is taken up. Come the end of the transfer window though, most will be out again, either permanentl or on loan - but I really hope one or two at least make a Ben White-like breakthrough to our first team. Guessing who is another matter!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
£2m pay for Barber - nice work if you can get it. Particularly if the business is owned and entirely funded by TB - I see he stuck another £32m of his own cash in. Wonder if this was prefunding Ben White's sale?

To be honest I'm more concerned about cashflow than profit, which are just accounting numbers. The debt figures are a nonsense given all the money comes from TB via directors loans so this isn't a true reflection of the state of the club. As long as TB remains happy to fund it we're fine. If it becomes a Brooks Mileson job, we're in big trouble regardless of Barber's niggly cost initiatives.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The last note to the accounts (Post Balance Sheet Events) basically states that the net result of deals done since 30th June 2021 is just under £16m (positive) - so I guess that's primarily the White & Burn money, less fees paid for Undav, Koslowski and all the others.

I make it that we’ve had transfer income of about 70m this year, so 54m spent!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I make it that we’ve had transfer income of about 70m this year, so 54m spent!

Wages went up nearly £8m last season as well presumably due to a few new contracts in the first team. (from £115m to £123m)

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

They should all be back for pre-season and under consideration. With the losses announced today on top of the previous years (equating to about £120m over 2 years) we need to seriously assess the players mentioned because I can't see us spending barely a dime this summer after such losses. Where is the money going to come from, bar a sale or two?

I think we all need to accept that next season we may well have to go with what we have, less a few departures. Unless of course someone out there wants to chuck in £40m or or so of their own cash to buy that elusive striker?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A DULLARD had put some of the numbers into historical context along with some p(r)etty graphs.

[Tweet]1508483522977492996[/Tweet]

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
A DULLARD had put some of the numbers into historical context along with some p(r)etty graphs.

[Tweet]1508483522977492996[/Tweet]

£109m in wages to average PL players about sums up life at the top table. This is all just shrugged of as market rates blah blah but truth is player wages are what drives these losses every season and unless anyone in football shows any signs of trying to tackle it then will just increase year on year.

Staying at this level requires someone to plug the losses a sad but true reflection of modern football

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
£2m pay for Barber - nice work if you can get it..

If that figure is true that means on January the first he will have earned more than the basic state pension , by afternoon teabreak on the 3rd he will have been paid more than the minimum wage, by Thursday afternoon teabreak he will have earned more than the national average wage. 4 days to accumulate more wealth than most Albion fans can dream of and another 51 weeks wages to look forward too.

I don't think I will take his advice on the affordability of the ticket exchange system too seriously.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
The best players will always want the best money. the clubs with the biggest disposable incomes, be it through rich owners, will always pay what the market dictates.
The only way round that is if every club in the Premier league agrees to a salary cap and that will never happen because it would take away the top clubs advantage using their financial leverage. if a player like Messi or Renaldo or even those before like Beckham can generate millions for their respective clubs both through their football skills and off field marketability then they and us can argue they are worth it. I think the overriding angst for the average fan is that those that really aren't that special seem to be on "out of this world" top table money, which in turn exposes their club to huge loses. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
£109m in wages to average PL players about sums up life at the top table. This is all just shrugged of as market rates blah blah but truth is player wages are what drives these losses every season and unless anyone in football shows any signs of trying to tackle it then will just increase year on year.

Staying at this level requires someone to plug the losses a sad but true reflection of modern football

Players, including some very fortunate average players, and a few agents, are THE ONLY winners.

Exponential wage increases and vast signing on fees, paid way in excess of the break-even budgets of the likes of Brighton and CP (even at pre pandemic income levels).

Ditto in the Championship.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
What is your passion? Football and the Albion maybe, or even following live music events around the country.
I'll take football to start with. Average earnings on NSC is what, £20K? Football takes £1K or 5% of that.
How rich is Uncle Tony and is £50 million 5% of his income? If the Albion were my passion and I was a billionaire I'd lose that much and smile.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What is your passion? Football and the Albion maybe, or even following live music events around the country.
I'll take football to start with. Average earnings on NSC is what, £20K? Football takes £1K or 5% of that.
How rich is Uncle Tony and is £50 million 5% of his income? If the Albion were my passion and I was a billionaire I'd lose that much and smile.

He’s certainly very rich, but I don’t think his income is as much as 1 billion a year!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports