Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion accounts 2014-15

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Why is there Palace fan on a thread nothing to do with Palace?

If you're referring to me, I wasn't posting "as a Palace fan", simply as a football fan, which I have I have always aimed to do on this site. I have no interest in trying to score points, I'm genuinely interested in how Brighton do despite the rivalry. Feck me I lived in Sussex for over 30 years before I moved to Dorset 11 years ago.

How else have I been tolerated on , not just this version of NSC - I was a member of the earlier versions from pretty much the beginning, but almost accepted as someone who actually understands the shit you've been through and is a tolerable presence on here?

Another poster also questioned my post on another Brighton thread some while ago and a mod got involved. IIRC he subsequently responded on the thread that I could continue to post as I always had.

Maybe you'll get me banned hillian, I'll still read this site as its been part of my football 'life' for more years than you've been on here. I just won't be able to respond, so all's good eh?

If you're referring to me, I wasn't posting "as a Palace fan", simply as a football fan, which I have I have always aimed to do on this site. I have no interest in trying to score points, I'm genuinely interested in how Brighton do despite the rivalry. Feck me I lived in Sussex for over 30 years before I moved to Dorset 11 years ago.

How else have I been tolerated on , not just this version of NSC - I was a member of the earlier versions from pretty much the beginning, but almost accepted as someone who actually understands the shit you've been through and is a tolerable presence on here?

Another poster also questioned my post on another Brighton thread some while ago and a mod got involved. IIRC he subsequently responded on the thread that I could continue to post as I always had.

Maybe you'll get me banned hillian, I'll still read this site as its been part of my football 'life' for more years than you've been on here. I just won't be able to respond, so all's good eh?

Oh deary me, another precious little flower.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Alternatively I suspect that Tony just has a very realistic appreciation that you cannot become serious promotion contenders in the Championship without incurring a significant loss. Although £5m to £10m loss is scary to us mere mortals I suspect Tony is looking at the bigger picture. We don't enjoy parachute monies or other major income streams - so his statement reflects a pragmatic viewpoint that it would be difficult to significantly rein in losses in the short term without depleting the playing squad and harming our prospects for promotion. This would undermine his stated objectives for promotion and condemn us to a longer term and less sustainable existence in the Championship.

The best way to offset these losses is to gain promotion to the PL and benefit from the overnight financial windfall. Yes we lost our way on and off the pitch last year but it seems that TB is still able to sustain reasonable losses in the short term, if this results in PL money. However unlike some other Championship Clubs he isn't prepared to spend at all costs.

I seem to recall Tony Bloom also explaining at the time that although he reluctantly agreed to the new FFP thresholds it did not mean that all clubs (especially the Albion) would necessarily take full 'advantage' of recklessly max-ing out their permitted losses. In the meantime by agreeing to the the new FFP rules Championship clubs would also benefit by receiving increased grants from the PL, an income stream they cannot afford to ignore.

At the moment it seems TB is getting the balance about right by reining in operating costs, not allowing losses to spiral, some shrewd transfer deals (Ulloa and Buckley) while permitting positive investment in the playing squad, sufficient to make us serious contenders. Above all it seems he appointed the right manager. We are all hoping that TB will be rewarded next May - but looking at some of our rivals it will be a tall ask, a heck of an achievement - and no guarantees with more than half a season to go.

Finally it is worth bearing in mind that rather than blow the FFP limits Tony has also created an infrastructure for the long term benefit of the club ie a stadium and elite performance centre. We are fortunate that Tony is able to take a longer term view of his financial investments. I feel more comfortable with a third generation fan at the helm rather than some of the other so called benefactors or a faceless foreign oligarch whose real motives are unclear.

It was explained by PB at the time that the raising of the FFP limits came as part of a package, another part of which was the tying up of loyalty payments, or whatever they are called, from the PL to the FL, as a fixed percentage of the TV rights deal that the PL negotiates. As a result of the new PL TV deal, FL clubs can expect a much higher payment as a result, which is obviously a good thing. They could not vote for the raising of FFP limits separately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here