Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion 4 - 4 Orient, March 8th 1997

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Does anyone have a link to a match report of this excellent match please.

Many thanks

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
2-0 up at half time, 3-2 down after an hour, Scott McGleish and his gun salute to the North, Ray Wilkins getting punched by an imbecile, late penalty equaliser... what a game.

The only game we didn't win at fortress Goldstone that year.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i remember it well - paul mcdonald:bowdown:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just imagine, if that had been a bog-standard 1-1, we'd have gone down that season.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It was out Goldstone form that kept us up. After a 3-2 home defeat against Darlington at the begining of Decemeber we went on to win 11 and draw 2 for the rest of the season. Promotion form if we hadnt been shit for the rest of the season. We picked up 35 of the 47 points that kept us up in that home spell.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I was there, and have the stats, I just need a report to ascertain how the goals were scored etc.

I can't remember and need the info for a piece I'm writing.

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Maskell scored the first two, one after a one-on-one with the keeper, the other, a great diving header that had the North Stand going orgasmic!

They got two back with close range goals as Rust did his best to help them.

Baird made it 3-3 with a thumping header from a cross, then McDonald knocked in a pen, low to keepers right hand side, he went wrong way.

Awesome match!

SeagullJay

Feb 6, 2006
Dubai
Bit I remember was 2-0 up
approaching half-time and
McDonald was hauled down by Keeper

only people in ground not think was a pen were officials

and then the Wilkins/referee incident and the infamous Wilkins quote:

"I had to do something, he (the fan) was about to BANJO the ref"

:jester:

and then Hearn saying we should be kicked out league

:salute: :censored:

was a great afternoon's entertainment :jester: :clap:

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
That was the first match I ever took my missus to. I think she thought every game was like that.
Anyway after that she saw a 0-0 against Darlington (I think) and she never bothered going again ;)

Albion Rob

Possibly the most amazing game I've ever witnessed in the flesh.

Goals, drama, aggro at the ground and at the station, good goals, rubbish goals, controversial celebrations, good and bad refereeing decisions, an electric atmoshpere and the most cooly taekn penalty in the circumstances that I've ever seen.

That game literally left me breathless and the celebrations in the North Stand will live with me forever.

Such a shame that the younger generation will never experience that at a home game, Falmer or no Falmer.

dcseagull

Dec 8, 2005
Washington DC
Didn't our penalty have to be retaken?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Beeneys gloves said:
Maskell scored the first two, one after a one-on-one with the keeper, the other, a great diving header that had the North Stand going orgasmic!

They got two back with close range goals as Rust did his best to help them.

Baird made it 3-3 with a thumping header from a cross, then McDonald knocked in a pen, low to keepers right hand side, he went wrong way.

Awesome match!

Sometimes, in my more reflective moments, I still see Craig Maskell flying (for that's what it looked like) towards the north stand before planting his superb diving header in to the net. You're right, the noth stand went bezerk!!:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here