Alan Mullery

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
I went to a 'sportman's dinner' last night, where Alan Mullery was the speaker. He was very good entertainment.
Afterwards I asked him why he comes over as not holding any affection for the Albion. Was it because of the disasterous second spell as manager?
He said that the second spell did leave a bitter taste, but that he holds nothing but affection for BHA. He also said that his first spell as manager here was his best time in football.
:clap: :clap:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Early Doors said:
I He also said that his first spell as manager here was his best time in football.
:clap: :clap:

also my best time WATCHING the Albion...by some distance

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Alan Mullery

Freddo said:
what happened so that his 2nd spell ended with a bitter taste?

Sacked when we were doing quite well, 8th in the old 2nd division and replaced by Bloom's mate (I believe?) Barry Lloyd. He was treated disgustingly but it soon became the norm for the Albion hierarchy to behave like that.

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham

Freddo said:
what happened so that his 2nd spell ended with a bitter taste?

He said that he was promised a 5 year contract.
He sold off higher wage players, as the board asked him to do. Once that was done, he had achieved what they wanted, and was sacked.
In came 'yes man' Barry Lloyd.

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
Re: Re: Re: Alan Mullery

Early Doors said:
He said that he was promised a 5 year contract.
He sold off higher wage players, as the board asked him to do. Once that was done, he had achieved what they wanted, and was sacked.
In came 'yes man' Barry Lloyd.
who was chairman when all this was happening? excuse my ignorance, im only 16

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
jevs said:
Wasn't it the start of the Archer/Stanley era ?

The last days of the Bedson era I think

Think it was just before Stanley paid the taxman/vatman and "saved" us and then got his mate in to asset strip the club :angry:

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Early Doors said:
Afterwards I asked him why he comes over as not holding any affection for the Albion.

I'd love to get Lawrenson's reasons... all this crap about him being sold to Liverpool when he wanted to go to Man Utd is neither here nor there

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham

Jam The Man said:
I'd love to get Lawrenson's reasons... all this crap about him being sold to Liverpool when he wanted to go to Man Utd is neither here nor there

Don't know about that, but Mullery said Lawrenson was the best player he managed at Brighton.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Icy Gull said:
also my best time WATCHING the Albion...by some distance

mine too some fantastic memories.:bowdown:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The reason given for Mullery's sacking the 2nd time around as manager, was that he wouldn't move nearer to Brighton to live.

He lived near Banstead crossroads just off of the A217 Sutton by pass.

Martin Hinshlewood lived in Selsey.

If both left home at 8.45 am to drive to The Goldstone for training who would have arrived first. I think Mullery by a good few minutes. Even possibly before Barry LLoyd who lived in Arundel Road in Worthing.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've also met Mullery and it was obvious how much he enjoyed his time at the club.

As for Lawrenson ... his home team was Preston and he went on to win all his major honours with Liverpool. What makes us think BHA would be the highlight of his career?

Jul 5, 2003
Definitely Bedson in charge. Was at a do for Lottery Agents when it was announced by by Bedson's right hand man John(?) Campbell that Mullery was the new manager.

Bedson's era was really the start of the downfall of the club.

None of his directors had any real money. Not like Keith Wickenden who had been pumping in his Townsend Thoreson money for years before he was sadly killed when he crashed his light aircraft when landing at Shoreham.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Monkey Man said:
I've also met Mullery and it was obvious how much he enjoyed his time at the club.

As for Lawrenson ... his home team was Preston and he went on to win all his major honours with Liverpool. What makes us think BHA would be the highlight of his career?

I wouldn't expect him to think of us as his highlight, but he does seem to have no respect or emotion for us. Never has a good word to say about us either.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Monkey Man said:

As for Lawrenson ... his home team was Preston

I think our team had three players originally from Preston North End when we were up with the big boys and were an attractive proposition as a club? Lawrenson, Michael Robinson and Gary Williams.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports