Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Duffy and the Penalty

el punal

Some years back when Alan Duffy, the darling of the North Stand, was playing for the Albion around 1971/72 he was involved in an incident when we were awarded a penalty.

According to a friend of mine who saw the game (one of the few that I missed), Albion were awarded a penalty. One of our players (don't know who) stepped up to take the spot kick, Duffy, apparently, charged in, pushed the player out of the way and took the kick himself . . . .and missed!

Had that gone in I believe that we would have won the match.

The manager then, Pat Saward, was furious and from then on Duffy's days at the Albion were numbered.

So, can anyone shed light on this, how true was this information and if so which match etc. I will be ever so grateful for your comments.

Sorry no idea at all but the thread title makes me think of a mid sixties beat combo who released a couple of cult singles which sank without trace before the members all got proper jobs. The singles sometimes get played by Brian Matthew on his Saturday "Sound of the Sixties" show.

The way my mind works even frightens me some times.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He did but I can't remember for the life of me who it was against?

I have a funny feeling that it may have been an away game.

I remember Duffy squaring up to the Walsall keeper and the North Stand surging forward to "Help him out!"

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
I was at this game, it was Kit Napier who he pushed but i can't remember who we played.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Pretty sure it was against Preston & the player he shoved out the way was Kit Napier. I wasn't too old at the time, but peering over the East Terrace wall on tiptoe, I remember the incident. Unsurprisingly, Napier was fuming at him. I don't think he ever played for Brighton again?

Duffy bore an uncanny resemblance to George Best in looks. That's where the similarity ended though. After scoring on his debut, he got fatter, lazier and more ineffective by the game.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Pretty sure it was against Preston & the player he shoved out the way was Kit Napier. I wasn't too old at the time, but peering over the East Terrace wall on tiptoe, I remember the incident. Unsurprisingly, Napier was fuming at him. I don't think he ever played for Brighton again?

Duffy bore an uncanny resemblance to George Best in looks. That's where the similarity ended though. After scoring on his debut, he got fatter, lazier and more ineffective by the game.

He did play later on in the season...

Alan Duffy. Forward. Born West Stanley, Co. Durham. Age 20 (until 20 Dec '70). Stocky striker with a robust style who joined Brighton in January 1970 from Newcastle for £10,000. Described by a BBC radio commentator as a 'square little man - an oddity', yet had a sensational debut, appearing to be the Third Division answer to George Best by beating two Bradford players and smashing a ferocious shot in off the crossbar. Something of a cult hero to the North Stand. However, weight issues and injury woes, starting with a thigh problem on the opening day, marred his 1970/71 campaign. He made just fourteen League appearances. Infuriated the Albion boss, players and crowd in the goalless draw with Preston in February 1971 when he blasted a penalty against the bar that Kit Napier was preparing to take! Grabbed both second-half goals as Albion overturned a 1-2 deficit against Bradford in April, his only goals of the season.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Duffy scored one of the greatest goals seen at the Goldstone,he beat a couple of players by the halfway line and hit a screamer off the crossbar in the South goal...the crowd was still buzzing about it after the Kick off from the restart.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He took another penalty when he walked back after placing the ball on the spot but only took a couple of paces before spinning round suddenly and hitting it, trying to catch the keeper unawares. He missed.
Or am I confusing it with the one above everyone is talking about. It was down the north goal.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He did play later on in the season...

Alan Duffy. Forward. Born West Stanley, Co. Durham. Age 20 (until 20 Dec '70). Stocky striker with a robust style who joined Brighton in January 1970 from Newcastle for £10,000. Described by a BBC radio commentator as a 'square little man - an oddity', yet had a sensational debut, appearing to be the Third Division answer to George Best by beating two Bradford players and smashing a ferocious shot in off the crossbar. Something of a cult hero to the North Stand. However, weight issues and injury woes, starting with a thigh problem on the opening day, marred his 1970/71 campaign. He made just fourteen League appearances. Infuriated the Albion boss, players and crowd in the goalless draw with Preston in February 1971 when he blasted a penalty against the bar that Kit Napier was preparing to take! Grabbed both second-half goals as Albion overturned a 1-2 deficit against Bradford in April, his only goals of the season.

Ah, that was the away game I was confused about. It was a long time ago and I was a youngster myself. Cheers GR.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Engelbert+Humperdinck+Engelbert_Humperdinck.jpg

duffy.jpg

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear