Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Akinfenwa confronts fans over "sex offender" chant

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The right wing has, in the last couple of years, started to substitute the N word and other racist and homophobic slurs for calling people “sex offenders” and “paedophiles”. A sort of catch all to insult people of colour, LGBTQ, BAME and “woke” people without getting arrested for hate crimes or racism. One user on here was banned last year for this behaviour. Laurence Fox does it.

They also refer to “knife crime” as code for “all black youths are criminals”. ie “the police should be tackling knife crime not investigating Boris Johnson”. It’s a sort of veiled code to allow so called anti-woke people to get away with being racist while still being unpleasant.

It’s a bizarre and frankly confused new language that has developed. All rather sinister in my opinion.

But they aren't allowed to say anything ?

Yes totally agree. The same with those excusing taking the knee as a demonstration against "Marxism".

Mostly grew after the cold war, show no allegiance with Eastern Europeans and haven't had to sit though dreary Cultural Studies lectures at East London Polytechnic in the early 90s.

Just thick racists with a get out of jail card they don't understand.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I remember Millwall relentlessly singing 'Sex case, sex case, hang him, hang him, hang him' back in 91 to 'Flash' Walker...

He proceeded to rip them a new one in that 4-1 thrashing, and he got a few digs when he fell in the South stand away end too!

That's the way to respond!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How about if you were in a pub, and everyone in the bar turned round, pointed at you, and kicked off the "sex offender" chant ?

Good old laugh with the bantz eh ?
"With his packets of crisps and his cheeky smile, the guy at the bar is a paedophile"

Lol.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Jesus wept some of you lot are precious. It’s football ffs. Wycombe and MK (more so the latter) are two complete non entities in the football world. Let them have their bantz.

We are edging closer and closer to football being totally sanitised. No chanting about opposite fans or teams.

That's just bollocks; don't use 'it's football, innit' as an excuse for lads acting like bellends (like some did to excuse the trouble at the euros final). There's having a bit of a laugh and then there's taking it too far and just being twats.

And as for Wycombe being 'non entities'... :facepalm:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The right wing has, in the last couple of years, started to substitute the N word and other racist and homophobic slurs for calling people “sex offenders” and “paedophiles”. A sort of catch all to insult people of colour, LGBTQ, BAME and “woke” people without getting arrested for hate crimes or racism. One user on here was banned last year for this behaviour. Laurence Fox does it.

They also refer to “knife crime” as code for “all black youths are criminals”. ie “the police should be tackling knife crime not investigating Boris Johnson”. It’s a sort of veiled code to allow so called anti-woke people to get away with being racist while still being unpleasant.

It’s a bizarre and frankly confused new language that has developed. All rather sinister in my opinion.
Bringing politics into it seems a bit odd as I'm not sure how anyone would know the political views of football fans singing sex offender/nonce songs at football matches. As for NSC, it was some time ago but I remember one person of a left wing persuasion posting a pic of Jimmy Saville asking if it was me (no ban obvs), his pic also crops up occasionally when standing next to Mrs T so I would say it's more a general term of abuse/wind up.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How about if you were in a pub, and everyone in the bar turned round, pointed at you, and kicked off the "sex offender" chant ?

Good old laugh with the bantz eh ?

And let's not forget a bit of traditional monkey chanting. You hardly ever hear it now. Why? Woke snowflakes and their cancel culture.

:facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember Millwall relentlessly singing 'Sex case, sex case, hang him, hang him, hang him' back in 91 to 'Flash' Walker...

He proceeded to rip them a new one in that 4-1 thrashing, and he got a few digs when he fell in the South stand away end too!

That's the way to respond!

But why should he have to respond?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Bringing politics into it seems a bit odd as I'm not sure how anyone would know the political views of football fans singing sex offender/nonce songs at football matches. As for NSC, it was some time ago but I remember one person of a left wing persuasion posting a pic of Jimmy Saville asking if it was me (no ban obvs), his pic also crops up occasionally when standing next to Mrs T so I would say it's more a general term of abuse/wind up.

I’m sure you would.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Both things are true aren’t they? I don’t think Akinfenwa was targeted because he’s black but because he’s an obviously good player for a rival. We target Zaha because he’s Palace, not because he’s black (and they sing sex offender songs about the white Dunk).

Nevertheless, Clamp is totally correct about the Alt Right. Fox has done it, Elon Musk has done it, it’s a regular trope used by conspiracy theorists on the right, you’ve done it and Baker lite has done it. And, regardless of what’s happened in the past, Bozza has made it clear that doing it on NSC will now be a long or even permanent ban.

Nice way to crowbar in your political views and personal axe grinding while “not being political” though. Chapeau.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Well, you turning this political is unexpected, wow.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Jesus wept some of you lot are precious. It’s football ffs. Wycombe and MK (more so the latter) are two complete non entities in the football world. Let them have their bantz.

We are edging closer and closer to football being totally sanitised. No chanting about opposite fans or teams.

Surely we can enjoy a bit of 'bantz' without calling people sex offenders?

Are you arguing that everything is fair game in the name of 'bantz' or do you have a line in the sand which we shouldn't cross?

Unless you are then the only difference between you and the 'precious' ones is where the line is drawn.

I don't agree that football will ever involve 'no chanting about opposite fans' this sounds a bit hysterical to me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Like I said, Palace do it every game with Dunk. Reference on here to chants aimed at Flash Walker and the song about a packet of sweets that was regularly sung to Wenger.

Talking of Arsenal, I remember the 88 cup game against them with the whole North Stand singing "Sansom is a piss head" at Kenny Sansom for much of the game. He had local connection and was an absolute wreck of a man. With a 2022 lens on that must have had a serious effect on his mental health but it doesn't stop Arsenal 88 being one of the best Goldstone atmospheres of my time watching the Albion.

There are specific laws now about racist and homophobic chanting and people seem to have moved on to this. The vast majority of people will find it idiotic but, I suspect, that's exactly why it's being done.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Like I said, Palace do it every game with Dunk. Reference on here to chants aimed at Flash Walker and the song about a packet of sweets that was regularly sung to Wenger.

Talking of Arsenal, I remember the 88 cup game against them with the whole North Stand singing "Sansom is a piss head" at Kenny Sansom for much of the game. He had local connection and was an absolute wreck of a man. With a 2022 lens on that must have had a serious effect on his mental health but it doesn't stop Arsenal 88 being one of the best Goldstone atmospheres of my time watching the Albion.

There are specific laws now about racist and homophobic chanting and people seem to have moved on to this. The vast majority of people will find it idiotic but, I suspect, that's exactly why it's being done.

I am not going to pretend that I haven't chanted (or even said) things that I no longer would. However I think that as a society we know more and care more about mental health issues than we used to and have adapted our behaviour - well most of us have.

To me, somethings are better left in the past and perhaps we can think a little more wisely about how the things we chant or say land with others.

Chanting does of course make for a brilliant atmosphere but does it have to be at the expense of a player mental health?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I am not going to pretend that I haven't chanted (or even said) things that I no longer would. However I think that as a society we know more and care more about mental health issues than we used to and have adapted our behaviour - well most of us have.

To me, somethings are better left in the past and perhaps we can think a little more wisely about how the things we chant or say land with others.

Chanting does of course make for a brilliant atmosphere but does it have to be at the expense of a player mental health?

Ideally not, but there are some it inspires (to ram it back down their throats).

Zaha always plays his best game against us, Dunk loves giving it back to Palace, Walker took Millwall to bits. One man's breakdown is another man's man of the match / hero status at club.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

Are you arguing that everything is fair game in the name of 'bantz' or do you have a line in the sand which we shouldn't cross?

Unless you are then the only difference between you and the 'precious' ones is where the line is drawn.

I don't agree that football will ever involve 'no chanting about opposite fans' this sounds a bit hysterical to me.

Nope not saying everything is fair game.

The line is obvious.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Nope not saying everything is fair game.

The line is obvious.

How so?

Surely the line is different for different people? This thread is a fair example of that. You have your line and those you referred to as 'precious' earlier have theirs?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here