Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Akinfenwa confronts fans over "sex offender" chant

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
No-one has ever suggested that folk shouldn't go to a football match and loudly back their team. They did it back in the days. It wasn't until the 70s that all this crept in.

Of course, we did it as kids, but now we see a better way.

Going to a match and loudly cheering the Albion, without reverting to toxic chants against the opponent, takes nothing from my football experience. Nothing.

So, I'll turn it round. How is a person's life lessened because of the new attitude ? Are we somehow causing distress and damage to folk who want to say nasty things ? Who are the real snowflakes here ?

Don't worry though, a good old boo is still on the allowed list. I love a good boo me.

You should come to a Whitehawk match. A group of fans singing for most of the game. But nastiness, no, frowned upon. It's a great experience.

Horses for courses.

Seems there is a rivalry between Wycombe and MK. MK fans looked for a reaction and got it from Akinfenwa. Fair play to him for having a go back as well. Brought the spotlight on what must be the most pointless grudge in the EFL.

For the majority of games I can’t be bothered to get too up in arms. Haven’t got the energy for it any more. But for Palace and certain others I love the toxicity. Good to see the tradition being kept alive by younger Albion fans. I’d hate for the day to come where us and Palace were friendly to one another.

I’ve been to Whitehawk a few times. Also been there when the reception for away fans was definitely hostile…

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Okay. I wasn’t aware he’d been arrested for anything.

I may be suffering from a memory lapse, but I don't think that he has ever been associated with anything that would lead fans to sing this sort of crass abuse at him.

I assumed they were singing it because it sort of rhymes.

The CJTCs.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I may be suffering from a memory lapse, but I don't think that he has ever been associated with anything that would lead fans to sing this sort of crass abuse at him.

The CJTCs.

Yeah and that Mido player got it too. Name rhythms with paedo and as a middle easterner, obviously was a sleeping suicide bomber.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Horses for courses.

Seems there is a rivalry between Wycombe and MK. MK fans looked for a reaction and got it from Akinfenwa. Fair play to him for having a go back as well. Brought the spotlight on what must be the most pointless grudge in the EFL.

For the majority of games I can’t be bothered to get too up in arms. Haven’t got the energy for it any more. But for Palace and certain others I love the toxicity. Good to see the tradition being kept alive by younger Albion fans. I’d hate for the day to come where us and Palace were friendly to one another.

I’ve been to Whitehawk a few times. Also been there when the reception for away fans was definitely hostile…

How about if you were in a pub, and everyone in the bar turned round, pointed at you, and kicked off the "sex offender" chant ?

Good old laugh with the bantz eh ?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've edited a post in this thread.

Can we please not take it off topic in the direction of ongoing matters.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Jesus wept some of you lot are precious. It’s football ffs. Wycombe and MK (more so the latter) are two complete non entities in the football world. Let them have their bantz.

We are edging closer and closer to football being totally sanitised. No chanting about opposite fans or teams.

That is classed as 'bantz' now? :eek:

'Jesus wept', indeed...

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
How about if you were in a pub, and everyone in the bar turned round, pointed at you, and kicked off the "sex offender" chant ?

Good old laugh with the bantz eh ?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah why not. Take the rough with the smooth.

At Withdean in 05 I had the majority of the Palace away crowd chanting at me specifically being a ‘fat gay rent boy.’ Sleeps lost from that: 0. And I was a lot more sensitive 17 years ago.

Accusing someone of being a sex offender has been a classic insult for years. No one really thinks that of Akinfenwa - they just wanted the reaction. I called a cyclist a nonce last week for fannying about on the coast road.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The CJTCs.

The article I read wasn’t clear but kind of alluded to the fact it’s a random song without any substance which seemed weird to me, hence my question. But it does indeed seem to be the case ; total twats being total twats.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus wept some of you lot are precious. It’s football ffs. Wycombe and MK (more so the latter) are two complete non entities in the football world. Let them have their bantz.

We are edging closer and closer to football being totally sanitised. No chanting about opposite fans or teams.

I’ve said before, anyone who uses the term banter should be locked up. Anyone who uses the term bantz should be exterminated.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Just playing devils advocate, would it be fair if said player was a sex offender, say, Ched Evans?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Whilst I get your point, Dunk was NOT GUILTY. It must really wrankle (sp?) to keep getting that shit brought up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Excuse my ignorance, but why are they singing a song about him being a sex offender?

The right wing has, in the last couple of years, started to substitute the N word and other racist and homophobic slurs for calling people “sex offenders” and “paedophiles”. A sort of catch all to insult people of colour, LGBTQ, BAME and “woke” people without getting arrested for hate crimes or racism. One user on here was banned last year for this behaviour. Laurence Fox does it.

They also refer to “knife crime” as code for “all black youths are criminals”. ie “the police should be tackling knife crime not investigating Boris Johnson”. It’s a sort of veiled code to allow so called anti-woke people to get away with being racist while still being unpleasant.

It’s a bizarre and frankly confused new language that has developed. All rather sinister in my opinion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Horses for courses.

Regardless of other posts on this thread by you, me and others I agree with this 100%. Football rivalries are totally necessary. For fans it gives the proper visceral, tribal experience of belonging. Of literally nothing else mattering for 90 minutes other than that game. It's at moments like this I wish Buzzer still posted on here. I totally disagreed with him on politics but he was bang on about enjoying flicking Vs at away fans (and music).

At this point, anyone with an agenda is looking at my other posts on this thread and saying "but you wrote....." but I'm criticising our fans for either a) singing a song that Palace would also sing or b) glorifying sexual assault, despite it not existing. That is ****ing dumb.

Back in the day I know I joined in with "in your Northern slums" which featured anyone who had been ****ed by Thatcher looking in their dustbin for something to eat (or, adapted by a group that were near me to "you shit on the carpet, you piss in the bath, you finger your granny and think it's a laugh" which, I'm sorry, cracked me up laughing). I've called Welsh fans Sheep Shaggers, sung "I can drive a tractor" to any fans with a wurzel accent. I was part of a group of many tens of us who ended up on the pitch at the Goldstone when Wilkins' free kick went in, goading the Ipswich travelling support.

But.....

This was all "bantz" (sorry HT) against other fans

Not once did I make a racist chant or comment or banana throw against a black player, Not once did I call another player a nonce (whether tabloid chitter/chatter existed or not). Was I uncomfortable with the abuse given to Justin Fashanu? Yes, even back then I was.

There is a difference.

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Just call him a fat ******* and have done with it, what happened to 'who ate all the pies"

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Regardless of other posts on this thread by you, me and others I agree with this 100%. Football rivalries are totally necessary. For fans it gives the proper visceral, tribal experience of belonging. Of literally nothing else mattering for 90 minutes other than that game. It's at moments like this I wish Buzzer still posted on here. I totally disagreed with him on politics but he was bang on about enjoying flicking Vs at away fans (and music).

At this point, anyone with an agenda is looking at my other posts on this thread and saying "but you wrote....." but I'm criticising our fans for either a) singing a song that Palace would also sing or b) glorifying sexual assault, despite it not existing. That is ****ing dumb.

Back in the day I know I joined in with "in your Northern slums" which featured anyone who had been ****ed by Thatcher looking in their dustbin for something to eat (or, adapted by a group that were near me to "you shit on the carpet, you piss in the bath, you finger your granny and think it's a laugh" which, I'm sorry, cracked me up laughing). I've called Welsh fans Sheep Shaggers, sung "I can drive a tractor" to any fans with a wurzel accent. I was part of a group of many tens of us who ended up on the pitch at the Goldstone when Wilkins' free kick went in, goading the Ipswich travelling support.

But.....

This was all "bantz" (sorry HT) against other fans

Not once did I make a racist chant or comment or banana throw against a black player, Not once did I call another player a nonce (whether tabloid chitter/chatter existed or not). Was I uncomfortable with the abuse given to Justin Fashanu? Yes, even back then I was.

There is a difference.

The “In ya ……. slums” football chant was popular on the terraces pre May 1979. A staple of the magnificent old low roofed North Stand.

I like the tribalism and (legal) abuse thrown at opposition teams and fans at games, it sets the atmosphere at football games apart from other sports. White and blue collar folk letting off steam after a week of work or whatever.

The separated family stands thing works well. Dealing with racists and homophobes a must.

The recent derby was cathartic, life’s tensions gone in two hours. My hoarse throat on the Saturday and Sunday well worth it.

I hope that watching football in this nation is never sanitised.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here