Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] AJ v Ruiz Jnr

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
AJ tiptoed his way to victory over a 20st tub of lard who admitted he hadn't prepared properly. Sorry, but that does not speak "greatness". The likes of Lennox Lewis would have utterly weaved Ruiz's into the canvass within a couple of rounds.

Joshua is in a very sad and paltry division.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Rather than going on about how fat Ruiz was or how boxers of a previous generation were so much better how about giving Joshua some credit for getting his belts back.

He took an immediate rematch, which pretty much every expert in Boxing said was a mistake, against a fighter who had knocked him to the floor 4 times which must of mentally affected him. He was pretty gracious in defeat, never made excuses like Ruiz is doing despite the fact that it has now come to light that there were health problems that affected his performance.

He just got straight back in the Gym and worked on, and then executed the perfect game plan for an opponent with a granite chin and fast hands. Whatever Ruiz did or didn't do in terms of his own training is neither here or there, you can only beat what is in front of you and rather than moaning about the quality of opponent we should all be happy that a Brit is the world heavyweight champion again.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I say this as a friend of AJ and Rob, i am immensely proud of how they dealt with defeat, didn't dwell on it, worked twice as hard to install a game plan and box as well as he did Saturday night. It was superb, it really was.

AJ boxed exactly how he needed to to beat a fighter like Ruiz. You'd be a fool to stand and trade with a fighter who is 20st with fast hands and a solid chin.

However, i don't think that's the way to beat Wilder. He can, and would, outbox Wilder, and i do give him a good chance to win, but i think he will need to go after him more and be a little more explosive and strong. Rob will know that, i'm sure.

Southpaw

Nov 19, 2019
For sure AJ would beat Mike Tyson.I am talking about the MT of today and not in his prime of course.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
AJ tiptoed his way to victory over a 20st tub of lard who admitted he hadn't prepared properly. Sorry, but that does not speak "greatness". The likes of Lennox Lewis would have utterly weaved Ruiz's into the canvass within a couple of rounds.

Joshua is in a very sad and paltry division.

Its the best the heavyweight division has been in years in my opinion. It may not still match up to previous generations but its certainly as good as its been in a long while for me ?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I say this as a friend of AJ and Rob, i am immensely proud of how they dealt with defeat, didn't dwell on it, worked twice as hard to install a game plan and box as well as he did Saturday night. It was superb, it really was.

AJ boxed exactly how he needed to to beat a fighter like Ruiz. You'd be a fool to stand and trade with a fighter who is 20st with fast hands and a solid chin.

However, i don't think that's the way to beat Wilder. He can, and would, outbox Wilder, and i do give him a good chance to win, but i think he will need to go after him more and be a little more explosive and strong. Rob will know that, i'm sure.

Agreed. There is no chances, quite literally ZERO chance AJ employs that same style and tactics against Wilder or Fury. What he cooks up I don't know, I know what I think but who knows what they do. But they won't do what they did to Ruiz. No chance.

seagull1970

Apr 7, 2019

I see you box. Silly question but what’s your name ?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
[emoji2421] Paulie Malignaggi on Andy Ruiz Jr: “Part of the reason he was flustered wasn’t just because of [AJ's] movement. It was also because he came in like a fat tub of s*** and he ruined his chances of closing the gap the right way… Do you wanna be great or do you wanna just eat?”

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
[emoji2421] Paulie Malignaggi on Andy Ruiz Jr: “Part of the reason he was flustered wasn’t just because of [AJ's] movement. It was also because he came in like a fat tub of s*** and he ruined his chances of closing the gap the right way… Do you wanna be great or do you wanna just eat?”

That is absolute rubbish as he came in with the added weight expecting AJ to try for quick knockout and then he could catch him on the rebound as in the first fight. He didnt envisage AJ changing his tactics, as most pundits said he couldnt just bide his time and fight behind the jab. AJ proved most of the so called experts wrong and showed another side to his ability.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Malignaggi despite having annoying voice is a decent judge. He’s spot on here.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
That is absolute rubbish as he came in with the added weight expecting AJ to try for quick knockout and then he could catch him on the rebound as in the first fight. He didnt envisage AJ changing his tactics, as most pundits said he couldnt just bide his time and fight behind the jab. AJ proved most of the so called experts wrong and showed another side to his ability.

Not sure where you got this perspective from, Ruiz from day one knew how AJ would approach this fight. At no time was AJ going for a quick knockout, the plan from AJ was far more calculated than a simple early knock out. Regarding Ruizs weight gain, this was down to lack of discipline on his behalf. If the stories of his partying, feasting and enjoying spending a fair slice of his $5m purse from the first fight are true, knowing he is getting $30m for the rematch, then there is no surprise of the fights outcome.

This is part of the Guardian piece from before the fight, a narrative that was widely reflected from all angles of the media.

“I think his style was just perfect for me and I think [Saturday] will be the same,” Ruiz said this week. “I think he will box around nicely for four or five rounds until I take the pressure to him, start hitting his body and mixing it up.

“That is exactly what we have been training on. Being small, being more slick, applying pressure, throwing combinations and being first to the punch. I know he is going to try to box me around, that is why he lost some weight, he will try to keep me away with the jab. But that’s what we have been practising for.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BBC Sport now suggesting AJ next opponent could be Whyte I think that he will fight him and Usyk next year then go for a unification Dec 2020
or early 2021.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Not sure who u listen to...grandson?...but most if not all the ‘pundits’ i listened to said he would do just that :shrug:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Yep. Bens Grandad knows more than an ex world champion boxing legend.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Delighted for AJ and i'm confident he will get these mandatory bouts out of the way. Hopefully the bull**** politics of boxing and media companies can be overcome and the fights we can see a fight between the winner of Fury and Wilder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here