Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Airfix/Revell etc. model kits.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Anyone else make the models then stick fire crackers in them and launch them into garrisons of plastic soldiers and try to create carnage?

I built loads of model Airfix aircraft during my primary school years and then, during my more mischievous secondary school years, found that setting fire to them [out-doors] gave off a very realistic shot-down, crashed and burned, heavy black smoke scenario - until there were no more ...

I seem to recall Gamleys in the arcade [off Western Rd] stocked a good range

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
6E30C273-0B4C-415D-A038-82E39CBF3EC8.jpeg

These are wooden ones...require a lot of patience and dexterity with tweezers fro rigging..lol

6330CD10-9533-47C0-974A-B6B6BD5012AC.jpeg

Old airfix Battle of Britain class kit.

B45AD24A-38AF-440D-821A-0EEBA46DEE93.jpeg

Another wooden one..1/86 scale...this took me 12 months, the other one 22 months.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
For really great kits, Tamiya or Trumpeter are the best, but revell has got better and the new tooling for Airfix kits are really good.

I have made hundreds over the years and got back into it about 10 years ago.

The 1/24 spit that airfix ships is a very old tooling but still a great kit to build.

Tamiya cars are also great to make.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I saw Airfix models recently in Aldi. Thought to myself 'would kids today really sit and build these?'

Yes it was seeing a Hawker Hurricane Starter Kit in the Crawley Branch of Aldi last Christmas that reignited my interest. Shall l l thought?

I went ahead and bought it, that said I still haven't started to build it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I actually happened across a shop that was actually selling these but for the life of me cannot remember where. They also had the miniature soldiers as well also airfix I believe

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I used to build the custom car kits by companies like AMT/ERTL and Revell, there used to be a great shop in London called The Cabin that had wall to wall model kits. You could spend all day in there and the guy that ran it was great to chat to and would always put the kettle on when we popped in there. If we couldn't find what we wanted he'd try to import it too. Sadly he passed away a long time ago.

Seen a few custom car kits, as well as the normal aircraft, boats etc in Kids Stuff Toys in Priory Meadow in Hastings recently, was tempted but resisted as I know what a cash vacuum they can become.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Hobbycraft in Brighton had some kits in at £10 which were supposedly half price. i used to paint lead (pewter?) soldiers and make up kits. Might restart again as have a few bits up in the loft.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I have renewed my interest (nearly 60 now) though my older eyes and fingers are a bit (no, a lot) clumsier than they used to be. I have restricted myself to 1:72 Spitfires and related models with 36 completed and another 40 unstarted in the cupboard, but my wife bought me the Airfix Motorhead Bomber kit for my birthday this year!

Most kits come from Hannants online or eBay.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Showing my age now but aside from on the ceiling I had a hideous pelmet over my bedroom window upon which you could park them.

Used to stick to 1/72 scale as did not have the patience for the bigger models.
Tried to have a go at a B17 Flying Fortress but just way to fiddly with having to glue all the clear gun ports. Ended up in bits for months before big brother finished it but then my sister volunteered to paint and inexplicably painted it camouflage like a Spitfire!!!!!:(

This stuff was a godsend. No longer would my creations look like they had taken part in an assault on a top secret military glue production complex.

3099.jpg

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
When l was a kid l used to absolutely love building these. Principally 1/72 scale model military aircraft. Over the years though my collection has disappeared, many of them bheing broken playing mock dogfights with my friends.

Now l am older and have reached retirement, l'm thinking about building up another collection, this time though treating them as models and not as toys! Is any one else a fan?

Yes I remember doing WW1 and 2 models as well as The Hercules transporter, this though was a starting point that moved onto books and visiting air shows like Biggin Hill, Farnborough. Remember having a day in bed after inhaling to much of the solvent as well.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have renewed my interest (nearly 60 now) though my older eyes and fingers are a bit (no, a lot) clumsier than they used to be. I have restricted myself to 1:72 Spitfires and related models with 36 completed and another 40 unstarted in the cupboard, but my wife bought me the Airfix Motorhead Bomber kit for my birthday this year!

Most kits come from Hannants online or eBay.

Try vetenarus on facebook

Nikki does every sort of kit and they have auctions of kits twice a week

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
8DF504D3-4E30-483C-BF9F-3080EAEA490F.jpeg
Showing my age now but aside from on the ceiling I had a hideous pelmet over my bedroom window upon which you could park them.

Used to stick to 1/72 scale as did not have the patience for the bigger models. Tried to have a go at a B17 Flying Fortress but just way to fiddly with having to glue all the clear gun ports. Ended up in bits for months before big brother finished it but then my sister volunteered to paint and inexplicably painted it camouflage like a Spitfire!!!!!:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here