Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Airbus 330 (Air China) dumping fuel off Brighton

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Aviation fuel is very similar to diesel, it would take more than a cigarette to ignite it

That would be kerosene [aka jet fuel] which is NOT the same as AvGas. AvGas is hi octane petrol used in spark ignited engines [like the single engined propellers eg Cesna].

Very loosely the same difference as diesel and petrol engined motor cars. AvGas will ignite just like normal petrol [fumes], Kerosene [like diesel] will only ignite when under compression.

Years ago I used to run my 2-stroke racing motorcyles on AvGas - its like a 6-star for those that remember petrol before unleaded

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hydraulic failure with the front nose gear reported on the avherald.

These things happen far more regularly than you'd think. The turnarounds are generally precautionary and it's extremely rare for there to be problems landing. Most of the time, the passengers are none the wiser, as the issue only arises as the aircraft is approaching its destination airport. It lands, gets checked externally, taxis to the stand, and none of the passengers have the first clue a fault was ever reported.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
These things happen far more regularly than you'd think. The turnarounds are generally precautionary and it's extremely rare for there to be problems landing. Most of the time, the passengers are none the wiser, as the issue only arises as the aircraft is approaching its destination airport. It lands, gets checked externally, taxis to the stand, and none of the passengers have the first clue a fault was ever reported.

No doubt about that. AVHerald and similar websites rely mostly on word of mouth or through disclosure by the airline/investigation committee. Even for small incidences like this. If this happened somewhere China/anywhere in Asia you wouldn't hear about it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No doubt about that. AVHerald and similar websites rely mostly on word of mouth or through disclosure by the airline/investigation committee. Even for small incidences like this. If this happened somewhere China/anywhere in Asia you wouldn't hear about it.

Yep. They grade these things according to the nature of the report, ranging from "local standby" to "full emergency" to "aircraft crash imminent".

I worked at LGW for three & a half years and attended plenty of the first two, and none of the last (thankfully). It's usually stuff like smoke in the cockpit, hydraulic problems with the landing gear and so on. The good thing is, we live in a place where such issues are taken very seriously and all precautions are taken if even the slightest hint of a problem crops up. Generally, they're fine. The airport emergency services follow the aircraft to stand, and the passengers can't even see them, thus minimising any fears. All very low key. The LS or FE scenarios probably happen several times a month.

In fact, I'm slightly intrigued as to how you came about this one? Spotted the circling pattern?

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Yep. They grade these things according to the nature of the report, ranging from "local standby" to "full emergency" to "aircraft crash imminent".

I worked at LGW for three & a half years and attended plenty of the first two, and none of the last (thankfully). It's usually stuff like smoke in the cockpit, hydraulic problems with the landing gear and so on. The good thing is, we live in a place where such issues are taken very seriously and all precautions are taken if even the slightest hint of a problem crops up. Generally, they're fine. The airport emergency services follow the aircraft to stand, and the passengers can't even see them, thus minimising any fears. All very low key. The LS or FE scenarios probably happen several times a month.

In fact, I'm slightly intrigued as to how you came about this one? Spotted the circling pattern?

Just saw the OP's thread. http://avherald.com/ had it covered when I went to confirm it. You're right about the high-level of flight safety precautions in Europe/Americas. You have nothing to be worried about when flying with any European/American airline. Your arse might be flinching with a russian airline, but that's life lol

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just saw the OP's thread. http://avherald.com/ had it covered when I went to confirm it. You're right about the high-level of flight safety precautions in Europe/Americas. You have nothing to be worried about when flying with any European/American airline. Your arse might be flinching with a russian airline, but that's life lol

All part of life's rich tapestry :lolol:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I flew back to Jappers with Air China 2 weeks ago. Same flight number. Glad it was only a minor emergency!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

I subscribe to the paid for version of FlightRadar Pro and it sends audible alerts to my iPad whenever there is a (7700 General Emergency) Squawk sent from a plane worldwide wherever they have coverage. It just happened to beep as I heard a low jet noise in the vicinity of me here in Brighton!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I subscribe to the paid for version of FlightRadar Pro and it sends audible alerts to my iPad whenever there is a (7700 General Emergency) Squawk sent from a plane worldwide wherever they have coverage. It just happened to beep as I heard a low jet noise in the vicinity of me here in Brighton!

Fair enough :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here