Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Afcon

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
According to Football London, "Crystal Palace might be losing up to four first-team players next January as the African Cup of Nations kicks off in Cameroon.

"The 24-team tournament, postponed from last year amid the coronavirus pandemic, is due to get underway on January 9 and run until February 6.

"Palace could be one of the teams hit hardest by the tournament's timing, with Wilfried Zaha (Ivory Coast), Cheikhou Kouyate (Senegal), Jeffrey Schlupp and Jordan Ayew (both Ghana) all likely to be representing their countries."

How sad. If we play Palace on schedule, we could be without Bissouma (Mali), assuming he is, ahem, free to leave the UK, but our chums up the road will be without a player who is simply too good for any opponent.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I think Watford and Leicester are in the same boat too. It's wrong and it will dissincentivise clubs buying players who could qualify for African countries or clubs could put pressure on their players not to attend.

Bissouma isn't being picked, even if he could attend.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Has Biss made up with the Mali manager yet?
Last I knew, they had fallen out big time and Biss hasn’t played for Mali since 2018.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think Watford and Leicester are in the same boat too. It's wrong and it will dissincentivise clubs buying players who could qualify for African countries or clubs could put pressure on their players not to attend.

You'd think with the wages they earn, they'll be able to afford an airline ticket :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not entirely sure Jordan Ayew going counts as a loss.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It's part of football managment. You buy players knowing what their commitments might be. Liverpool will lose Mane, Salah and Keita so expect their title challenge to falter considerably.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Thats if AFCON goes ahead as planned, there must be question marks about it taking place early next year.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Does anyone know how long Bissouma has been on bail? 3 months is the maximum the police can give. Assuming the police haven't sent the file to CPS for a charging decision (then the bail clock pauses) then they would need to go to mags Court for an extension longer than 3 months.

I don't think he'd be allowed to travel abroad whilst on bail.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I bet Wilf doesn't go. Pretty sure he won't be bothered.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Does anyone know how long Bissouma has been on bail? 3 months is the maximum the police can give. Assuming the police haven't sent the file to CPS for a charging decision (then the bail clock pauses) then they would need to go to mags Court for an extension longer than 3 months.

I don't think he'd be allowed to travel abroad whilst on bail.

His bail was extended to January 4th, which is 90 days after his arrest. We will probably know more then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here