Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AFC Ajax vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Unless or until we beat AEK away that results v each other rule, makes them a pain in ass. Is Marseille win better than them?

Still chance that AEK equalise and doubt anyone wouldn't have taken a winner takes all final group match at the Amex (if that's how it pans out)
Marseille win is probably a better result as it would look something like this, with a gap to AEK behind

1699563279161.png

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Unless or until we beat AEK away that results v each other rule, makes them a pain in ass. Is Marseille win better than them?

Still chance that AEK equalise and doubt anyone wouldn't have taken a winner takes all final group match at the Amex (if that's how it pans out)
I’m hoping for a winner takes all yet a draw is enough for us to top the group.

Remember people, Topping the group gets you straight through to the last 16 knock out - 2nd means you have a last 32 tie (2 legs I think) against a champs league 3rd place. For fixture congestion alone, I’m very eager to top it!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Marseille win is probably a better result as it would look something like this, with a gap to AEK behind

View attachment 169507
Danger here is we draw with AEK - then defeat to Marseille would leave us 3rd if AEK beat Ajax in the last game. Long way to go - I’m after top spot as above - if not 3rd may be better than 2nd 😉

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I’m hoping for a winner takes all yet a draw is enough for us to top the group.

Remember people, Topping the group gets you straight through to the last 16 knock out - 2nd means you have a last 32 tie (2 legs I think) against a champs league 3rd place. For fixture congestion alone, I’m very eager to top it!
Is it the case the third place goes into conference? Is it straight in or a via playoff with current conference team?

If we finish second in EL group and have play off v CL third place team. Is play off loser Out of Europe or in conference?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think a draw is marginally preferable but realistically we are going to need 6 points to finish top. And top is a big advantage as 2nd place plays a play off with a 3rd place UCL team whereas top gets a bye.
Nah I think 4 will be enough for top. Depending on the result now of course. If it stays the same a draw with AEK then a win v Marseille would top the group for sure.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Is it the case the third place goes into conference? Is it straight in or a via playoff with current conference team?

If we finish second in EL group and have play off v CL third place team. Is play off loser Out of Europe or in conference?
First question - it’s a play off in last 32 of conference vs a second place conference team. Whereas those too if the conf groups (like prob Villa) will already be in the last 16.

Second question - out of Europe.

The only route to have 2 less games in the European run (assuming it would end at the same stage) in any competition is to top the Europa group. So please let’s go and win at AEK!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
First question - it’s a play off in last 32 of conference vs a second place conference team. Whereas those too if the conf groups (like prob Villa) will already be in the last 16.

Second question - out of Europe.

The only route to have 2 less games in the European run (assuming it would end at the same stage) in any competition is to top the Europa group. So please let’s go and win at AEK!
😊 thx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here