[Technology] Advice Wi-Fi booster

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In a lot of cases all boosters do are share a bad connection around the house.

Pre fibre, yes. If your signal is already weak and slow a booster won't actually 'boost' it. Just move it around, as you say.

But with fibre and speeds of over 30mg and then some, they now become a good option again I would have thought.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm confused about the bit where you say you hard wire the other two deco's in to the ethernet switch. How does that work? I thought only the master unit has to be connected by ethernet and the other units receive the signal from that wirelessly?

Am I misunderstanding?

It’s a choice, the other units can boost the same WiFi picking up the WiFi of the main unit, but they do work a lot better/faster if you can hardwire each unit. I had the house rewired anyway, so at the time put some cat6 in.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pre fibre, yes. If your signal is already weak and slow a booster won't actually 'boost' it. Just move it around, as you say.

But with fibre and speeds of over 30mg and then some, they now become a good option again I would have thought.

Agreed

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It’s a choice, the other units can boost the same WiFi picking up the WiFi of the main unit, but they do work a lot better/faster if you can hardwire each unit. I had the house rewired anyway, so at the time put some cat6 in.

So you have ethernet ports in other parts of the house now due to rewiring and you then hard wire your other deco units into those ports? And those ethernet connections in the other parts of the house run off of the ethernet switch?

I'm trying to paint pictures in my mind, but not doing it very well I think

Oh how I long for the days of the Omsung Phine. It's in discussions like this that I really miss BG.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Think you might have mixed up your messages and may have just asked your dealer for 30Mb/s of something.
:lolol:

That'll be the fecking Amitriptyline talking I'm afraid :(

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So you have ethernet ports in other parts of the house now due to rewiring and you then hard wire your other deco units into those ports? And those ethernet connections in the other parts of the house run off of the ethernet switch?

I'm trying to paint pictures in my mind, but not doing it very well I think

Oh how I long for the days of the Omsung Phine. It's in discussions like this that I really miss BG.

So yes, I have several Ethernet ports next to power sockets in several rooms. The cables from these all go back to 1 room where I have the router and switch. Its a 16 port switch. Each Deco unit therefore gets the full BB capacity to turn into the mesh WiFi. Previous to rewiring the house I used to use powerline adapters. I should probably try the mesh units unplugged and see what kind of drop off there is if they’re just picking up each other’s WiFi.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I bought a Joowin dual band Wi-Fi booster/extender just before Xmas….easy to set up and more than pleased with performance

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Quick update, even with my non existent IT skills this arrived on Monday and all connected in about 15 minutes. No dead spots and more importantly no moaning crotchgoblins.

Thanks for the advice [emoji1303]

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Quick update, even with my non existent IT skills this arrived on Monday and all connected in about 15 minutes. No dead spots and more importantly no moaning crotchgoblins.

Thanks for the advice [emoji1303]

Thanks for the update, and glad it went well. Which one did you go for in the end - the Tenda? If so, which model / package?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports