Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Advice sought: Travel from New York to JFK Airport

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Did this a month ago - subway and train was amazingly straightforward. Went from Times Square on the subway to a station (Jamaica Station?) with a train that only stops at the airport terminals. Cost about $11 I think, and was quicker than the cab we'd got from the airport into the city the week before. Lots of people on the subway doing the same journey and all felt very safe

Done that same journey. Cheap and quick.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Did this last week. Yellow cab both ways. c $52 fixed fee plus tolls that depend on which part of Manhattan you go to. We were staying nr 3rd Avenue, tolls were c $11. Driver back was from Queens and very entertaining / informative. c 45 mins trip.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Everyone here is correct. Manhatten to JFK is a fixed rate and you will be told in advance.
But the doorman in my hotel in Times Square knew when we were returning and done a deal for 'his mate' to take us 10$ cheaper. We took it but don't think we were insured as a taxi/uber.
Look up Amtrak train as it could be cheaper if she hasn't booked any flights.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Last Thursday we took a yellow cab from our Manhattan hotel to JFK, a $62 fixed fare. Took about 70 minutes.

He took the “slower” route which passes near Flushing Meadow.

We could’ve paid for a quicker route, apparently.

[Larger cab for 4 people and 5 cases]

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Still find it amazing there is no direct subway from JFK to Manhattan. When I lived there I heard it was to do with the Mafia running the town cars.

Cab def the best way but very relevant where you are going on Manhattan as to cost - getting over to the West Side can be a bit of a nightmare

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Still find it amazing there is no direct subway from JFK to Manhattan. When I lived there I heard it was to do with the Mafia running the town cars.

Cab def the best way but very relevant where you are going on Manhattan as to cost - getting over to the West Side can be a bit of a nightmare

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The car is king in the US and always was.

045112CA-9187-4883-826E-B205E74956AE.png

By the time ideas were floated for a train, all the land had been taken.

The compromise of the short AirTrain monorail cost $1.9b 20 years. It only covers 8 miles and requires a change.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did this a month ago - subway and train was amazingly straightforward. Went from Times Square on the subway to a station (Jamaica Station?) with a train that only stops at the airport terminals. Cost about $11 I think, and was quicker than the cab we'd got from the airport into the city the week before. Lots of people on the subway doing the same journey and all felt very safe

Yep, completely fine and very simple. Definitely a good option during rush ‘hour’ too, much quicker than a car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here