Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Advice sought: Travel from New York to JFK Airport

Youngest Potting is working in a Summer Camp in Boston and is returning home at the end of August. She is undertaking some travelling in the interval between finishing camp and returning home with the intention of spending a few days with a friend in NY and then taking an internal flight from JFK to Boston and thence back to the UK.

Advice sought as to the best/safest way of her travelling from NY (precise location in that city not known) to JFK - we are not keen on her travelling alone by subway or similar,

TIA

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Youngest Potting is working in a Summer Camp in Boston and is returning home at the end of August. She is undertaking some travelling in the interval between finishing camp and returning home with the intention of spending a few days with a friend in NY and then taking an internal flight from JFK to Boston and thence back to the UK.

Advice sought as to the best/safest way of her travelling from NY (precise location in that city not known) to JFK - we are not keen on her travelling alone by subway or similar,

TIA

It's an easy Uber/Taxi ride.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Only flight I've ever missed was due to gridlock on Manhattan flying out of Newark. The minibus we'd pre-booked didn't arrive at the hotel and you could understand why. Lots of missed flights that day. This was late 90s though

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
At least they're not going to Newark airport (often used for New York - a bit like Gatwick is for London). Could be confusing.

On my first-ever visit to New York, flew in to Newark and got the train from the airport. I was meeting a friend at New York Penn Station. After a short while, the train stopped. In a very thick US accent, the train announcer said 'New York Penn Station'. So I got off. Couldn't find friend, ventured outside the station to have a look around and was rather unimpressed by the relatively few skyscrapers... Where's the empire state building ffs?

Then realised I was at 'Newark Penn Station'...

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Pretty sure the yellow taxis operate a fixed fare to the airport from New York? Or at least they did pre covid / fuel price rises.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I visited a friend in NY about 5 years back. Travelled alone from London to JFK. Saw the queues and traffic for taxis so thought **** that I’ll just jump on the subway. It was by far the quickest and cheapest way to get to Williamsburg to meet my friend. But the subway does pass through some pretty dodgy areas. This was late evening, dark outside, and the subway was strangely quiet so it did leave me feeling a bit unsafe. However nothing actually happened so maybe just my imagination. Returning to JFK I probably quite stupidly did exactly the same thing, but this was lunchtime so it was very busy & felt totally safe.

Jul 7, 2003
I’ve used Dial7 a few times and they have ways been reliable with courteous drivers and clean vehicles . If you go on their website there is usually a coupon for a few bucks off.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
FWIW I travelled from JFK to Manhattan during the day a few weeks ago and it was pretty straight forward on the Subway. Didn't feel anymore unsafe than travelling through London and there were lots of other people doing the same route.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I must admit I use Uber now (around $50 depending on travel time) but the fixed rate for taxi was/ is FROM JFK into Manhattan not the other way. She could also get a shared mini bus ride which usually pick up from hotels and they are around $20.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Used yellowcabs pretty much every time I’ve been there (plus the train when the traffic has been awful) - orderly, supervised despatch and a fixed fare. Queue can be long if you’re unlucky timing-wise but moves quickly. Depending on where they’re staying there are various (cheaper) shuttle buses run by some of the hotels. Avoid the taxi touts that infest the airport at all costs, if using a taxi only use the official despatcher. Wouldn’t rule out the train as it’s a simple trip on the AirTrain to Jamaica station and then a train direct to Penn Station (if that’s convenient for their accommodation it’s a good option).

Edit - sorry, read email wrongly. Reverse the train journey for NYC to JFK. Traffic out to the airport can be horrendous !

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Another vote for a pre-booked Yellow cab. I've also used Uber a couple of times for that journey too. Usually somewhere between $60-90, depending on exact location and time of day etc.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Pre Covid times I took Mrs W-E. We had a limo in from the airport. Easy to pre-book but not cheap. As someone else said about $90? but an experience.

As we were staying near Times Square, we hopped on a standard bus from outside the main bus station back to JFK and just enjoyed the views.
Was very reasonable.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yellow Cab is $60 from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan, easiest way to do it

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Useful info as going to NYC with the rest of the Dolphins at the end of the month. We'll have suitcases (going for a week) so don't fancy the subway just from a lugging point of view, and how much space they'll take up. Around $50-60 for all four of us, with luggage, is fine - presume 15% tip on top?

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Unless the flight is already booked your daughter is way, way better off getting the train to Boston. The cost is approximately $35 and takes about 4 hours. Trains are regular and leave from Penn station (Pennsylvania) in Manhattan. So, the train is longer than the flight but you don't spend the transfer money and need to check in 2 hours before.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Did this a month ago - subway and train was amazingly straightforward. Went from Times Square on the subway to a station (Jamaica Station?) with a train that only stops at the airport terminals. Cost about $11 I think, and was quicker than the cab we'd got from the airport into the city the week before. Lots of people on the subway doing the same journey and all felt very safe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here