Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice on Notice periods at work - what are the options?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Turning to the great and good of NSC.

A new opportunity has come up that on so many fronts is a much more attractive option than where I am.

I handed in my notice to much gnashing of teeth - 8 week notice period.

Tried to negotiate a shorter exit - I am not going to a competitor.

I am now being handed down nightmare projects to do, a complete disaster for the next 7 weeks or so is looming. I have 9 days holiday to take it down to about 6 weeks but even this feels like a lifetime.

What are the ramifcations of forcing an earlier exit......I have no idea but cannot face the thought of 7 weeks like the last one!

Any advice or thoughts really appreicated.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm sure it's a week for every year you've been there. Up to a maximum of 12 weeks.

It would depend on your contract - I clocked up 23 years yesterday, but only have to give 4 weeks' notice.

Sorry, no advice to OP, other than enjoy messing up your projects on purpose!

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
It would depend on your contract - I clocked up 23 years yesterday, but only have to give 4 weeks' notice.

Correct, it is what your contract states.

What Cars was talking about was the notice period a company has to give you if they are to make you redundant.

I am almost positive that if you are salaried it's 4 weeks or if hourly paid it's 1 week even if you've signed a contract to say different.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I'm sure it's a week for every year you've been there. Up to a maximum of 12 weeks.

That is the legal minimum. Notice periods are usually defined in your Contract of Employment, and this takes precedence. I think it is quite normal for there to be problems during notice periods, although I have been lucky enough to be put on garden leave, or negotiate something a couple of times.

I suggest the OP takes legal advise (with all the facts on the table) or simply gets on with it, knowing the end is in sight.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
(ignore.)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
say you are off to a competitor ?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Contract states 8 weeks and I signed it when I joined. I dont know how to face this. I have just been hauled into his office and been accused of letting the cat out of the baf - I have not said a word to anyone. Clearly the next few weeks are going to be hell on earth.

Contract states 8 weeks and I signed it when I joined. I dont know how to face this. I have just been hauled into his office and been accused of letting the cat out of the baf - I have not said a word to anyone. Clearly the next few weeks are going to be hell on earth.

In your situation I'd consider using the grievance procedure here on the basis it's an unsubstantiated (and untrue) accusation relating to your conduct at work. Just decide beforehand what your compromise position is.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
You are contractually obliged to serve your notice period (unless your employer agrees otherwise). However, what would happen if you were to break your contract and leave early? What would your employer do about it? In practise, most companies will do nothing because the cost of pursuing you outweighs the benefit. Many employers will climb down from insisting the full notice period is served if this simple reality is pointed out to them.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
It depends if you need a reference or not. You can just leave and lose your notice period money and any holiday money owed. Or like previous poster said, take some time of sick.
If it was me, I would bite the bullit and do my time, it always best to leave on good terms. You never know you may need a reference one day.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bang on. They'll have you out the door quick smart. Though they may say that you cannot work for the new employer until your notice period ends.

Garden leave - result !

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Turning to the great and good of NSC.

A new opportunity has come up that on so many fronts is a much more attractive option than where I am.

I handed in my notice to much gnashing of teeth - 8 week notice period.

Tried to negotiate a shorter exit - I am not going to a competitor.

I am now being handed down nightmare projects to do, a complete disaster for the next 7 weeks or so is looming. I have 9 days holiday to take it down to about 6 weeks but even this feels like a lifetime.

What are the ramifcations of forcing an earlier exit......I have no idea but cannot face the thought of 7 weeks like the last one!

Any advice or thoughts really appreicated.

It's impotrant that you are seen to be grown up about it; ask for a mtg with your boss and HR. Explain the situation rationally and openly and ask them to come to a compromise agreement that suits all parties. If you've done a good job so far and if they are a reasonable employer then they should be rational and compromise. If all else fails simply call the Citizens Advice Bureau (or a Solicitor, or you Union) and take advice. If your employer point blank refuses to compromise then simply let them know (as part of a rational measured conversation - not in anger!) that you will be seeking Legal Advice. No responsible employer wants to be known as intrancigent(sp?) or vindictive and actually has a legal responsibility to look after the best interest of their employees.

This is only my opinion, I am not qualified to give legal advice - but I have used the above as a framework myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here