Advice needed - Polzeath, Cornwall

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Need a bit of advice about this place.

I'm organising a STAG do and the man himself wants to down to Cornwall by the sea to just chill out with some beers etc. I've already looked into hiring a cottage/chalet etc, but it aint gonna happen as most places won't take a group of lads. So we're just going to go to a campsite instead; it'll be a pretty relaxed affair. Tins on the beach n'all that.

He mentioned Polzeath to me as an option, as he's been there before and liked it. However i'm a bit worried that the place is pretty small - ie. that there are hardly any pubs. We're not bothered about clubs as such, although a late-licence at one of the pubs wouldn't go amiss.

After Polzeath he mentioned Newquay. Seems to me there's a bit of a difference between the two?! Polzeath seems pretty small and quiet, whereas from what i've heard of Newquay its anything but! But the STAG has been to both before, so i guess he knows what he wants.

So, if anyone has any advice or experiences they could share i'd be grateful.

Cheers lads :thumbsup:

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Need a bit of advice about this place.

I'm organising a STAG do and the man himself wants to down to Cornwall by the sea to just chill out with some beers etc. I've already looked into hiring a cottage/chalet etc, but it aint gonna happen as most places won't take a group of lads. So we're just going to go to a campsite instead; it'll be a pretty relaxed affair. Tins on the beach n'all that.

He mentioned Polzeath to me as an option, as he's been there before and liked it. However i'm a bit worried that the place is pretty small - ie. that there are hardly any pubs. We're not bothered about clubs as such, although a late-licence at one of the pubs wouldn't go amiss.

After Polzeath he mentioned Newquay. Seems to me there's a bit of a difference between the two?! Polzeath seems pretty small and quiet, whereas from what i've heard of Newquay its anything but! But the STAG has been to both before, so i guess he knows what he wants.

So, if anyone has any advice or experiences they could share i'd be grateful.

Cheers lads :thumbsup:

tonnes of uni students go down there at the start of every summer so think theres a fair few pubs and bars,its like the equivilant of spring break in that all the f***ing annoying rich kiddies go down there

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Went a couple of years ago to a bay between Newquay and Polzaeth called Holywell bay. Stayed in a static caravan for a week which was much cheaper than each of the nearby resorts, There is a pub/bar on the beach that stays open until the last person leaves. For the days Polzaeth is about a 15min drive and a taxi into Newquay in the evening is only £30 or so (8 seater minibus taxi)

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Polzeath is a big no-no for a stag event.

It is for the spawn of the really upper cut. These kids are rude and obnoxious.

Newquay does have good parts for some serious drinking but can be tacky and quite rough at nights. Try Bude...

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Polzeath is a big no-no for a stag event.

It is for the spawn of the really upper cut. These kids are rude and obnoxious.

Newquay does have good parts for some serious drinking but can be tacky and quite rough at nights. Try Bude...

Could you tell me more about Bude, Carwash? I assume we're talking nice beach, quite a few pubs, decent atmosphere?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
iv been to bude,beaches really are nice and there are some nice boozers dotted around.not sure if you would keep entertained the whole week but there are other players nearby that wouldnt cost much for a few beers...newquay,padstow etc. i agree,really not sure about polzeath

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
I should have said that we're going for the bank holiday weekend at the end of May, so keeping entertained isn't really a problem, we're just going to chill out during the day and drink etc.

So Bude seems to be a decent shout. Can't make up my mind about Newquay, seems like there'd be lots to do there, but it also sounds like total carnage.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I should have said that we're going for the bank holiday weekend at the end of May, so keeping entertained isn't really a problem, we're just going to chill out during the day and drink etc.

So Bude seems to be a decent shout. Can't make up my mind about Newquay, seems like there'd be lots to do there, but it also sounds like total carnage.

well the central area is a complete shithole but a night on the piss taking in a few of the pubs wouldnt be bad! chilling on the beach and having a few beers every eve i would say bude is a fairly good bet.theres a cracking bar that overlooks one of the bays and im trying to remember the name,painted all blue,also a few good pubs out towards the better beaches....btw chances are the annoying toffs that frequent polzeath probably wont be there in numbers in may

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Could you tell me more about Bude, Carwash? I assume we're talking nice beach, quite a few pubs, decent atmosphere?

Decent beaches (Widemouth Bay). There is/was a caravan site within walking distance of the town centre. Good boozers but cannot recall any clubs etc/ Within drive of Padstow and Newkie.

Hope this helps

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Agree about Polzeath (and Rock, just around the corner). Full of chinless hoorays from Kensington and Chelsea. For a Stag do, avoid it.

Sennen is a bit of a gas - quiet but plenty of pubs. Ditto Port Isaac.

Just asked a colleague in the office from Cornwall, and for what you're after, he suggests Falmouth. Pleasant, excellent pubs, really nice place.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Good shout about Falmouth. Have been to both Falmouth and Bude both equally funsome but Bude shades it as it is not so hilly! St Ives also springs to mind.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Nice one lads, much appreciated. :clap:

If anyone has any other advice then please do keep it coming.

You could try Hendra, a decent place in Newquay. You'd have to Camp or hire a Caravan though. But is a nice site and easy to get into town.
Hendra Holiday Park, Newquay, Cornwall. Holiday caravan park.

Or you could go for Hollywell Bay (Trevornick) ... Caravan camping Holiday parks Cornwall Trevornick near Newquay 5 star dog friendly campsite

I love this part of the world!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
You could try Hendra, a decent place in Newquay. You'd have to Camp or hire a Caravan though. But is a nice site and easy to get into town.
Hendra Holiday Park, Newquay, Cornwall. Holiday caravan park.

Worked as a glass collector there in summer of 1990 after my A-levels. 'King ace.

Newquay a better option than Polzeath. Good pub closeby in Rock frequented by the posh set - used to go up on nights off, get larruped with the hoorays, kip in the van. Novelty of being seen as 'a bit of rough' by the friendly Henriettas!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports