Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice: Getting Married Abroad - Worth Getting Married in the UK too??

swiss tony

Aug 3, 2004
Honduras
My understanding (from having once tried this marriage lark) is that UK law recognises legal marriages made in any country. That being the case, you would effectively be committing bigamy if you had another registered marriage ceremony in the UK. I think.

Only if I married a different person surely??

swiss tony

Aug 3, 2004
Honduras
I believe that if you have a child born outside of UK, then even if she /he has a British passport, if they marry a non- Brit in another country then their own child cannot get a British passport.

You may not care!!

This is exactly the type of loop-hole I am fearing. To make matters more complicated, my brother and I were born in Switzerland (hence the swiss tony screen name). Both our parents are English although our mother was actually born in Jamaica (her father was a royal engineer stationed in Jamaica after the war). My brother married a Macedonian girl in Switzerland (getting married to girls from small obscure countries obviously runs in the blood) and yet he has been able to get passports for both his sons that were born in Switzerland. Which would seem to contradict the law being quoted (unless it is very new). I fear I am going to have to stump up for a consultation with an immigration lawyer...............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here