Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Advice for Lake District

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I had posted on the General photography thread regarding taking photos in the Lake District and had some very helpful advice, not least from [MENTION=24507]Bodian[/MENTION], who offered me the following...

I can recommend the Horse & Farrier in Threlkeld. And in Keswick - the Dog & Gun is a super pub for both food and beer. With a buggy, there is the new (tarmac) railway path from Threlkeld into Keswick. Also, you should be able to get up Latrigg with a buggy https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visi...utstiles/mws38. The start point of that walk is the other side of the fell from Keswick and the A66, so should be good for dark skies. Enjoy.

I didn't want to derail the photography thread, hence this one.

We are staying in Threlkeld for a week and would welcome any other pointers for places to visit.

We are a mixed party, with one in a buggy and have checked out the Miles Without Stiles section of The Lakes website.

I guess I'm looking for "nice" spots to visit that might not be completely over run with tourists (like me).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I had posted on the General photography thread regarding taking photos in the Lake District and had some very helpful advice, not least from [MENTION=24507]Bodian[/MENTION], who offered me the following...

I can recommend the Horse & Farrier in Threlkeld. And in Keswick - the Dog & Gun is a super pub for both food and beer. With a buggy, there is the new (tarmac) railway path from Threlkeld into Keswick. Also, you should be able to get up Latrigg with a buggy https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visi...utstiles/mws38. The start point of that walk is the other side of the fell from Keswick and the A66, so should be good for dark skies. Enjoy.

We are staying in Threlkeld for a week and would welcome any other pointers for places to visit.

We are a mixed party, with one in a buggy and have checked out the Miles Without Stiles section of The Lakes website.

I guess I'm looking for "nice" spots to visit that might not be completely over run with tourists (like me).

I don't know how it'd work with a buggy, but I visited Buttermere a couple of years ago and now consider it to be pretty much the most idyllic place I've visited in Britain. I was at Windermere which was over-run with tourists and suddenly wondered about finding somewhere much quieter. There were few tourists there, mostly dog walkers and it was very beautiful indeed.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I don't know how it'd work with a buggy, but I visited Buttermere a couple of years ago and now consider it to be pretty much the most idyllic place I've visited in Britain. I was at Windermere which was over-run with tourists and suddenly wondered about finding somewhere much quieter. There were few tourists there, mostly dog walkers and it was very beautiful indeed.

Yes, we also love Buttermere, also a pub there for a snack n drink if needed. From memory I reckon it's doable with a buggy, but OP should check that out first.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I reckon one could do much or all of the circuit of Lake Keswick with a buggy - again, check that out on line first!! Take the launch across at the start, and launch stops at a few places if you need it....maybe a very short road section if you did whole circuit...?? Or, walk from the launch then retrace steps to get launch return.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I reckon one could do much or all of the circuit of Lake Keswick with a buggy - again, check that out on line first!! Take the launch across at the start, and launch stops at a few places if you need it.

We did that recently and I would say that you are correct - one part may be a bit of a struggle at the hotel end of the Lake and you have to walk on the road, so use the boat to miss that bit out.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
We did that recently and I would say that you are correct - one part may be a bit of a struggle at the hotel end of the Lake and you have to walk on the road, so use the boat to miss that bit out.

And I'm assuming the OPs buggy has some off road wheels/tires rather than those little pavement wheels😎

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I reckon one could do much or all of the circuit of Lake Keswick with a buggy - again, check that out on line first!! Take the launch across at the start, and launch stops at a few places if you need it....maybe a very short road section if you did whole circuit...?? Or, walk from the launch then retrace steps to get launch return.

Derwentwater. You can do a loop but much of it is on road and it’s 10 miles round. Some if it is quite hilly too.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Parking is at a premium in Buttermere this time of year. You need to get there early or be very lucky.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thanks ever so much for all the advice and suggestions. I'm always impressed by how much knowledge people have on the boards, of far flung parts of the UK, and how keen they are to help - so again thanks.

To address some of the points raised. Our buggy is a big off roader, with pneumatic tyres (spare inner tubes packed). I get the pleasure of pushing or using a back carrier for shorter walks.

We had pencilled Buttermere in already, it appears from the Miles Without Stiles site that with a buggy you may have to go up once side of the water, and return by the same path, but that's not a problem.

I was aware of the problems with Windermere being packed, and think we were going to head more to Derwentwater and use the hop on hop of launch service to do the full circuit of the mere, using the back carrier.

Other than that we only have Threlkeld to Keswick railway path as definite days out. I quite fancy visiting the Bowder Stone - as I love the quirky side of things, maybe Castlerigg Stones too!

At the moment the weather looks OK, but I appreciate that can change at a minutes notice and have been advised the best clothes to wear are "layers"...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We stayed in Threlkeld last year, Bridge Cottage, just down from the Horse and Farrier.

We did the walk from Threlkeld into Keswick along the old railway. Can also recommend going to the Castlerigg Stone Circles especially if you can time it for just before dusk, not too far from Threlkeld.
We also hired a launch on Derwent water for an hour which is a bit of fun. We also went to Grasmere, Ullswater (parked at Pooley Bridge) and Windermere. We did a few walks from a guidebooks but they wouldn't be suitable for a buggy ( especially the one at Grasmere that goes past Wordsworth's museum/cottage).

If the adults want a bit of fun without the kids then quad biking at https://www.lakedistrictquadbiking.com/

Have fun.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Can also recommend going to the Castlerigg Stone Circles especially if you can time it for just before dusk, not too far from Threlkeld.

Definitely recommend this. Or at sunrise. But you will need your tripod! (however, you should get away with it, as it's a place to stand and stare, rather than tromp around) - take something warm. And if you can escape early/late Derwentwater is extremely photogenic during the golden hours.

Plenty of forest tracks in Whinlatter if you like that sort of landscape.

Keswick Puzzling Place is quite fun on the inevitable wet day.

Bowder Stone is quirky, Ashness Bridge isn't as great as they make out and always busy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Have a great holiday! You deserve it :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I would recommend joining The National Trust before travelling as many of the car parks near to the lakes, waterfalls and properties ( Wordsworth's place near Ambleside is marvellous) are NT owned and you get free or much cheaper parking...

Also, it is an experience to go over the fells via the Hardknott and Wrynose Passes....try to go to Boot where the " Ratty Railway " starts, and there is THE most amazing hikers pub.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
there are also the aria force waterfall on ulswater though not sure how much water there will be in it at moment.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I would recommend joining The National Trust before travelling as many of the car parks near to the lakes, waterfalls and properties ( Wordsworth's place near Ambleside is marvellous) are NT owned and you get free or much cheaper parking...

Also, it is an experience to go over the fells via the Hardknott and Wrynose Passes....try to go to Boot where the " Ratty Railway " starts, and there is THE most amazing hikers pub.

I had a Public Inquiry in Ravenglass many years ago, with a locum Solicitor helping me. The path in question was in Boot, so we all went there to look at it. The Solicitor then said 'what's the best way back to Kendal' and unthinkingly I just said 'Hardknott & Wrynose, just follow me - I'm going that way'. Got to Kendal, and he was still white and shaking - he simply said 'never do that to me again'. I simply had no thought that being a visitor to the area he wouldn't have automatically known what to expect, I assumed everyone knew - but he had no prior concept of hills or hairpin bends!!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

One step ahead of you, as I have already done that re the NT.

I have been to the area, once before in another life (not literally) and can vividly remember driving up a hill, which suddenly peaked, leaving me staring at the sky through the windscreen, with no sign of road anywhere, like being at the top of a rollercoaster before the big drop! I haven't told the wife about this - she hates rollercoasters...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here