Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Added time at the World Cup

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
it really doesnt. part of the game the ball will stop and we dont want USian style games running to 120min to make up for every second the ball isnt moving.
No it wouldn't - make it 30 minutes each way with the ball in play! That's about what we get anyway, but it would do away with all the time wasting and fuckwittery.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No it wouldn't - make it 30 minutes each way with the ball in play! That's about what we get anyway, but it would do away with all the time wasting and fuckwittery.
so what the point of changing?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
The Amex coach park will be empty before the game finishes if the Prem Lge adopt this !

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
it really doesnt. part of the game the ball will stop and we dont want USian style games running to 120min to make up for every second the ball isnt moving.
There'd be no need for that interpretation (although I wouldn't put it past the FA to get the wrong end of the stick). All that would need to happen would be to stop the clock for actual game stopping moments, something like injuries, subs, dog runs on the pitch etc.
goal kicks, throw-ins, corners all have the clock continue

I am by no means the rule maker but that doesn't seem (to me) to be a bad idea and would stop adding 15 minutes on at the end or team's time wasting a la Villa

el punal

A lot of leagues have been moving towards more additional minutes in recent years. Very common in Serie A and La Liga (and Allsvenskan) for example. Not quite caught on in England yet.

I think it is good. A lot more accurate than the old 3-5 minutes, and also sends a message that if you're timewasting, time will indeed be added.
Great. So the early leavers at the Amex will be exiting at the 115th minute. o_O

el punal

There'd be no need for that interpretation (although I wouldn't put it past the FA to get the wrong end of the stick). All that would need to happen would be to stop the clock for actual game stopping moments, something like injuries, subs, dog runs on the pitch etc.
goal kicks, throw-ins, corners all have the clock continue

I am by no means the rule maker but that doesn't seem (to me) to be a bad idea and would stop adding 15 minutes on at the end or team's time wasting a la Villa
I suggest that for deliberate and persistent time wasting (a la Villa) red cards should be dished out. Refs need to get a grip of this escalating problem and show some balls. On the same theme of time wasting how about the fake head injury scenario? Do what they do in rugby - the player that is ‘hurt’ has to go off for a head injury assessment (HIA) carried out by by a doctor. The game continues without that player and the unfair advantage gained by the offending team is negated.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As much as I've grown to love the NFL the constant stops and ads are a massive turn off to non US folk and new people trying to get into it. The only long term beneficiaries of this idea will be Just Eat, McDonalds and Paddy Power. Considering it takes an hour for me to get to the Amex (minimum) and it's five miles away, I'm going to need to reserve the same amount of time for a home game as I needed to play village cricket!
Effective game time does not necessarily mean long stops and commercial breaks

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
They are also showing 3 possession stats - what's the white one in the middle? Are they using this WC as the start of a move to x minutes of ball in play time as opposed to fixed 45 minutes?
Let's hope so.

At the moment the paying fan is being short changed - paying for 90 minutes football and getting 55 / 60 minutes on average.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
The issue with the stopped clock is that football is often about momentum. Time wasting will still occur to break the momentum of a team on the constant attack.

Personally, I don't think there is an answer to stop it other than issuing second yellow cards.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
As much as I've grown to love the NFL the constant stops and ads are a massive turn off to non US folk and new people trying to get into it. The only long term beneficiaries of this idea will be Just Eat, McDonalds and Paddy Power. Considering it takes an hour for me to get to the Amex (minimum) and it's five miles away, I'm going to need to reserve the same amount of time for a home game as I needed to play village cricket!
Does Rugby have ads during stoppages?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given the amount of moaning about the premier league and its 55-65 minute ‘games’ it’s quite refreshing to see this. Hope we can adopt it; although the Amex early leavers will probably need to start going at half time

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
7 mins added for Australia v France….Ozzies must be thinking wtf

If this catches on the 80 minute leavers might have a rethink

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think it's refreshing to see proper added time. It's basically two fingers to those teams that want to time waste (yes Villa, I'm looking at you). What they need to ensure though is that any time wasting is still punished with a yellow card, regardless of what time during the game it occurs. It would be nice if they started applying the 6 second rule for keepers, including when they gather the ball easily and then fall to the ground.

I don't agree with idea of 30 minutes each way just because that's what the spoilers of the game have dragged us to. It's a 90 min game and the closer we get to that the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here