Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Added time at the World Cup

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are they using a new-fangled formula to calculate added time or something?

!0 minutes in the second half of the England game (the 14 in the first half may have been a bit of a stretch too, even given the goalkeeper injury) and now 9 in the second half of the USA v Wales game.

!0 minutes in the second half of the England game (the 14 in the first half may have been a bit of a stretch too, even given the goalkeeper injury) and now 9 in the second half of the USA v Wales game.
I've just put thread up about this Bozza. Sorry mate can you delete mine please🙈

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

I thought the added time for the match was about right , the keeper was down for over 10 mins in the first half

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
They are also showing 3 possession stats - what's the white one in the middle? Are they using this WC as the start of a move to x minutes of ball in play time as opposed to fixed 45 minutes?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pick a number and double it

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A lot of leagues have been moving towards more additional minutes in recent years. Very common in Serie A and La Liga (and Allsvenskan) for example. Not quite caught on in England yet.

I think it is good. A lot more accurate than the old 3-5 minutes, and also sends a message that if you're timewasting, time will indeed be added.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
They are also showing 3 possession stats - what's the white one in the middle? Are they using this WC as the start of a move to x minutes of ball in play time as opposed to fixed 45 minutes?
Ball in possession for both teams and ball in “contention”, effectively meaning that no team has outright control over the ball!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
By the next world cup we’ll have the clock stopping when the ball is considered “dead” - football needs this more than VAR right now
it really doesnt. part of the game the ball will stop and we dont want USian style games running to 120min to make up for every second the ball isnt moving.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've not seen any time wasting, well maybe a small amount by Iran, buy basically irs not been that sort of tournament. By the standards we've seen so far, we should still be playing the villa game now

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
More to the point is the playing on over the added time. See the Netherlands second goal today and the second half in the Wales game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Interesting watching the game today. Watched with three other mates, two Spurs and one Villa (but Sussex based, don't judge me, they saw they light during Uni).

First half. Mate said "guess the amount of injury time added". We all reckoned the keeper injury had burned 10-15 mins but all of our guesses were 7-9 mins. That, I think, is because you can have a five minute VAR delay in the Premier League and see a "2" come up on the board.

On the other hand, 10 mins came up in the second half and there was a uniform "where the f*** did that come from?" reaction. I still can't see where it was added up from.

However, Euro 2020(1) seemed to usher in new refereeing standards where play was let go a lot more. That improved the EPL no end. If this is moved to the EPL as well then I might see the wife and dog fractionally less but if it leaves the likes of Villa staring at a board with a "12" on it, it can only be a good thing.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Probably reverting to the original formula, before they decided to make it up as they go along. Seemed about right to me :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just stop the clock when he ball is out of play, like literally every other sport in the world.
As much as I've grown to love the NFL the constant stops and ads are a massive turn off to non US folk and new people trying to get into it. The only long term beneficiaries of this idea will be Just Eat, McDonalds and Paddy Power. Considering it takes an hour for me to get to the Amex (minimum) and it's five miles away, I'm going to need to reserve the same amount of time for a home game as I needed to play village cricket!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here