Adams vs McGhee

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
westy said:
Adams did well, no question.

Fact is though, as someone pointed out on here b4, he simply went to Fulham, signed the backbone of the team he had there and then got VERY lucky with the Bobby signing. Know one is really sure who signed Bobby either. Did DK get a tip off about him or do you really think Adams happened to be watching Bristol Rovers reserves and "spotted" him? We will never know.

Could you not say he used his contacts well in signing the Fulham side and the players know and liked/resepected him? Two things Mcghee seems to struggle with?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
westy said:
Fact is though, as someone pointed out on here b4, he simply ... got VERY lucky with the Bobby signing.

I don't buy this idea that he was "lucky" with the Zamora signing - he found a player from reserve-team football and paid what was for us a very substantial amount of money for a totally unproven player. He'd have taken a lot of flak if it'd backfired, so I can't see that it's anything but right that he take a huge amount of credit that the move was so successful.

Let's face it, McGhee took a similar risk with Turienzo, and cocked it up ... it isn't a case of luck.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Kinky Gerbils said:
Could you not say he used his contacts well in signing the Fulham side and the players know and liked/resepected him? Two things Mcghee seems to struggle with?

Why not put words in people's mouths? You will do anything to attack McGhee but here is a radical idea, why not support him and the team as the season has not even started yet.

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
Repugnant Toad said:
I don't buy this idea that he was "lucky" with the Zamora signing - he found a player from reserve-team football and paid what was for us a very substantial amount of money for a totally unproven player. He'd have taken a lot of flak if it'd backfired, so I can't see that it's anything but right that he take a huge amount of credit that the move was so successful.

Let's face it, McGhee took a similar risk with Turienzo, and cocked it up ... it isn't a case of luck.

Well said :clap:

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Of course he used his contacts well. But as someone on here pointed out, Adams built a team to get out of the basement division which, with the greatest respect, is not as hard as building a team to survive in the Championship.

McGhee could probably call upon plenty of contacts to do the same, but he was/is trying to build a Championship side, which he did the year he kept us up. He should be commended for that gret acheivment.

Now he is having to do it all over again because of the loss of the players i mentioned.

Finding Championship standard players for peanutts / Free is alot harder than paying 20k for Paul Brooker who was a class above in the basement, but wasnt/isnt up to the Championship....

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Repugnant Toad said:

How about he was lucky that Ron Noades jumped in and stole Pinamonte before we could sign him and freed up the money for Zamora. Or did Adams use foresight and play a jedi mind trick on Noades?

Also, it is now accepted that Turienzo was signed by Dick Knight (not Mark McGhee).

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Finchley Seagull said:
Also, it is now accepted that Turienzo was signed by Dick Knight (not Mark McGhee).
Who by?

Is it also accepted that Carole and Frutos were, then? ???

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Really don't think you can compare the two to be honest.

Micky managed us in the bottom division and for about two months in the division we are in now.

MM has spent most of his time here in the championship and has been said building a team for peanuts in this league is much harder.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Finchley Seagull said:
How about he was lucky that Ron Noades jumped in and stole Pinamonte before we could sign him and freed up the money for Zamora. Or did Adams use foresight and play a jedi mind trick on Noades?

Maybe, but that still doesn't make the Zamora signing in any way lucky.

Also, I don't believe McGhee had no say in Turienzo. No credible manager in this country allows their chairman to buy players they don't want. He's at least partly responsible.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Finchley Seagull said:
Why not put words in people's mouths? You will do anything to attack McGhee but here is a radical idea, why not support him and the team as the season has not even started yet.

How have i put words in anyones mouth?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Repugnant Toad said:
Maybe, but that still doesn't make the Zamora signing in any way lucky.

Also, I don't believe McGhee had no say in Turienzo. No credible manager in this country allows their chairman to buy players they don't want. He's at least partly responsible.

We were lucky. I don't think we actually scouted Zamora before his loan deal. I get the impression that we were just ringing around for a striker and he happened to be available. Once we had seen him play, I think any manager would have worked out he would have made a difference in Division 3 (as it was then) and we should try to sign him permanently. In the end we were lucky that Bristol Rovers would let him go and got a great deal.

As for Turienzo, I have heard various people on here say that it was Dick Knight who signed him. It is unlikely people would make it up although McGhee may have had some impact.

However, comparing them is stupid. How can you expect to attract a striker in the fourth level for £100k six years ago and then attract a good striker for the second level (a year ago) for a similar amount. It is ridiculous and is just another example of the anti-McGhee irrational behaviour. As has been said before, Stoke paid almost £1 million for Bangoura and he scored 10 goals. So, how can we expect to find a great Championship striker for £100-150k. We had to gamble and Turienzo did not pay off.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Icy Gull said:
Pretty well everyone without an axe to grind against McGhee??

I believe it.

But it brings up questions as well.

Why did Knight sign him?
does Knight get the credit for the two Frencies as well?
Also why is a chairman bringing in two players?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
I believe it.

But it brings up questions as well.

Why did Knight sign him?
does Knight get the credit for the two Frencies as well?
Also why is a chairman bringing in two players?

Knight enjoys meddling and is obviously "the boss", most of us know that I think. Not personally to sure it's healthy but it could be a lot worse, I guess.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

However, comparing them is stupid. How can you expect to attract a striker in the fourth level for £100k six years ago and then attract a good striker for the second level (a year ago) for a similar amount. It is ridiculous and is just another example of the anti-McGhee irrational behaviour[/B]

Deon Burton
Marcus Tudgay

Two off top of head.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
McGhee has a decent track record, as does Adams. For my money Adams was the better Albion manager out of the 2 of them, and is still the better manager now.

I think Cov are a team on the way up and Adams is doing a good job. McGhee, on the other hand, cannot attract anyone decent to this club and I genuinely worry when the only permanent signings we seem to be able to make are non-league players and old crocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here