Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams vs McGhee

Finchley Seagull said:
So you think that Zamora would have come straight in from Bristol Rovers to first division football and scored goals.

How has Mark McGhee been mainly a flop in the transfer market. He has made a huge profit in transfers. His only mistakes have been Molango, McCammon, Turienzo, Chaigneau and Dodd (who we were unlucky with). Did Adams not sign Cameron, Newhouse, Palmer, Pitcher, Carr and Lehmann.

McGhee has signed Reid, Currie, Carole, Frutos, Henderson and players like Blayney, McShane, Iwelumo and Benjamin on loan who have done well for us. He has also been happy to bring in youth team players and brought Butters into the team.

Finally, of course he played a part in the Harding fee. He constantly built him up, helped him get into the under 21s and gave him a regular place in the team. I suppose you believe that tribunals roll a dice to decide a fee and ignore these factors.

My point is that MA paid 100k for a player thats gone on to play top flight football. Whereas MM paid 100k for someone who should only be playing table top football.

Yeah MA signed a few duds, but he transformed the whole squad at the same time. He never took over a squad and made them look a worse team.

He played Harding yes, but i don't believe he built him into a player worth that amount of cash. We all know the tribunal did us a huge favour.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Finchley Seagull said:
McGhee has signed Reid, Currie, Carole, Frutos, Henderson and players like Blayney, McShane, Iwelumo and Benjamin on loan who have done well for us.

Granted, the loan signings have generally been good (although there's always Shaaban and Yelldell), but I'm not sure Carole can count as a success, and Frutos is as yet still a debatable one. Also Henderson - I rate him, but the way he's spoken about on here, I reckon plenty would have him in the "failure" column.

Finchley Seagull said:
Finally, of course he played a part in the Harding fee. He constantly built him up, helped him get into the under 21s and gave him a regular place in the team. I suppose you believe that tribunals roll a dice to decide a fee and ignore these factors.
McGhee's main triumph with Harding was to get him to concentrate on the left-back position, and then give him a long run of games at it - and this gamble paid off spectacularly with our 2003-04 play-off promotion.

Previous managers had not been quite sure whether he was a defender or midfielder and had not settled him in either position.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Happy Seagull said:
My point is that MA paid 100k for a player thats gone on to play top flight football. Whereas MM paid 100k for someone who should only be playing table top football.

Bit of a stuck record this McGhee did not sign Turi, Dick Knight did.

Happy Seagull said:
IMO MA wouldn't have caused the problems that led to Kuipers being dropped in the 1st place.
I'd love to know how McGhee was responsible for a rotten Kuipers clearance at Bramall Lane that led the Sheffield Utd's decisive winning goal against us, and how also McGhee was responsible for Kuipers utterly cowardly attempt to blame that entirely on the young defender Lynch.

The only fault I would assign to McGhee in this instance was playing Kuipers in the first place ahead of Henderson!

But he was being fair to Kuipers by giving the man in possession a chance to keep the shirt with his performance - a chance Kuipers decisively failed to take at Bramall Lane!

Anyone who saw that game could not fail to understand why Kuipers was dropped for standard footballing reasons.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
McGhee's main triumph with Harding was to get him to concentrate on the left-back position, and then give him a long run of games at it - and this gamble paid off spectacularly with our 2003-04 play-off promotion.

Previous managers had not been quite sure whether he was a defender or midfielder and had not settled him in either position.

The manager who did us the biggest favour with Dodgy Dan was Peter Taylor who unaccountably gave him a string of Under-21 caps he blatantly didn't deserve. Every manager since has been suckered into thinking DD can add value to a side. Leeds took a whole season to catch on (but only cos DD had been out injured half that time - else he would have been out the door in the January transfer window) and whichever Championship manager is gormless enough to sign him before the season starts will find out soon enough that the guy's a complete liability.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
.................Lets face it MA v MM

....................who is our manager this season? and who is'nt?:lolol: :shootself

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
London Irish said:
I'd love to know how McGhee was responsible for a rotten Kuipers clearance at Bramall Lane that led the Sheffield Utd's decisive winning goal against us, and how also McGhee was responsible for Kuipers utterly cowardly attempt to blame that entirely on the young defender Lynch.

The only fault I would assign to McGhee in this instance was playing Kuipers in the first place ahead of Henderson!

But he was being fair to Kuipers by giving the man in possession a chance to keep the shirt with his performance - a chance Kuipers decisively failed to take at Bramall Lane!

Anyone who saw that game could not fail to understand why Kuipers was dropped for standard footballing reasons.

Henderson made a lot of dodgy errors towards the end of last season, but was he dropped? No.

Completely unfair, oh and a goalkeeper will always look to blame someone else when they make an error, it's in their nature.

Last edited:

Tom Hark said:
The manager who did us the biggest favour with Dodgy Dan was Peter Taylor who unaccountably gave him a string of Under-21 caps he blatantly didn't deserve. Every manager since has been suckered into thinking DD can add value to a side. Leeds took a whole season to catch on (but only cos DD had been out injured half that time - else he would have been out the door in the January transfer window) and whichever Championship manager is gormless enough to sign him before the season starts will find out soon enough that the guy's a complete liability.

Your strong views on Harding are obviously well known, Tom - just surprised the vehemence has not been tempered somewhat due to our little local difficulties in replacing him at left-back last season :)

Ice Man said:
Henderson made a lot of dodgy errors towards the end of last season, but wa she dropped? No.

Perhaps because the Championship-standard No2 had f***ed off disloyally to Boston?

Chaigneau even if good enough was injured most of the time and we were never going to play the youth Martin/Sullivan.

It certainly would have been nice for McGhee to have had the option to pick someone else to put pressure on Hendo, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Happy Seagull said:

This could go on forever. MA signed a player for 100k who can't get top flight football and MM payed 30k for henderson who is an Irish international goalkeeper. It's swings and roundabouts, Ranieiri and Ferguson both thought it was a good idea to pay combined fees of £45 mil for Veron but I could have told them he was pony. Managers make mistakes and with regard to MM he has to take more punts than most on very little money so therefore causing the fans to want results each time. Well if he could do that he wouldn't be managing us would he?

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
London Irish said:
Perhaps because the Championship-standard No2 had f***ed off disloyally to Boston?

You know, McGhee didn't have to agree to him going on loan there.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
Your strong views on Harding are obviously well known, Tom - just surprised the vehemence has not been tempered somewhat due to our little local difficulties in replacing him at left-back last season :)

I have absolutely no doubt that had Dodgy Dan been here last season, McGhee would have played him on the right wing ;)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gullsworth said:
.................Lets face it MA v MM

....................who is our manager this season? and who is'nt?:lolol: :shootself

Good point :clap: :clap: :clap: Well, for the time being anyway ;)

Ice Man said:
You know, McGhee didn't have to agree to him going on loan there.

And not only waste time but lose money on a player who was refusing to be part of the squad? At least Boston was paying part of his salary.

Tom Hark said:
I have absolutely no doubt that had Dodgy Dan been here last season, McGhee would have played him on the right wing ;)

Among the most witty members of NSC DEBASING himself with the "ha, ha, McGhee will play him in goal, ha ha" joke.

I'm shocked and mortified :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here