Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Adam Lallana ****Singed****

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
He's 32, has a bit of a catalogue of injuries and has only played for his club 128 times in six seasons, we might be lucky and build a team around him in midfield but its more than likely that injuries and age means he does not play enough to actually make a difference. Even if he is an absolutely brilliant signing, we get 2-3 years out of him at best then we have to find a similar replacement... I think we are chucking money away. Better to try to develop our young players and at least cash in when they move to bigger clubs.

I think the idea is we add ready made top level PL and international experience to the squad and the younger players benefit and learn from that. We need a mix of older and more experienced players in the squad alongside the promising youngsters to kick on. Think of the influence Bruno and Murray have had of late, Sidwell, Bridge etc before them and this guy seems to have similar attributes and attitude. Any signing we make is a gamble but can see why this looks a very calculated one by the Albion.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
As a poster on the Argus site wrote.....

- 'it could go wrong. All transfers can. But this feels right. It says that a player, who could have gone to an established top ten side, or to a multi-million deal in the States or China, has chosen Brighton'.

I agree - and couldn't have put it better.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Vicente - 29 appearances in 2 seasons. But what a 29 appearances they were. If (IF?) Lallana can be comparatively 75% as good in a better league and play 25+ games a season then we should be in for a treat.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
One of the less obvious reasons to be excited about this appears to be the acceptance in the media that he's joining because he wants to be part of, and contribute towards, the evolution that is happening at Brighton. I wonder if this signing, should it happen, will mark a watershed in the way we are viewed from the outside?

Imho we’ll never have any significant stature in the eyes of the media or the average football fan, we’ll only ever be a make up numbers small club lucky enough to be somewhere we shouldn’t (The PL), even if we enjoy some significant and sustained success. Even knowledgeable non-plastic football mates of mine who support Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs hold disdainful views such as they shouldn’t have to play teams like us and Bournemouth, said with jest, but with an undercurrent of genuine feeling. The media is all about sex appeal and a Brighton story is never going to be a commercially viable online piece in terms of hit rates up against a story about a higher profile, bigger club.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
One of the less obvious reasons to be excited about this appears to be the acceptance in the media that he's joining because he wants to be part of, and contribute towards, the evolution that is happening at Brighton. I wonder if this signing, should it happen, will mark a watershed in the way we are viewed from the outside?

I think it’s revolution not evolution.

NSC is going to go into total meltdown once folk work out that he’s been brought in as club captain and all the implications of that.

It’s going to be a fond goodbye to some clubs legends over the next month or so.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

NSC is going to go into total meltdown once folk work out that he’s been brought in as club captain and all the implications of that.

It’s going to be a fond goodbye to some clubs legends over the next month or so.

Interesting. Can we really afford a revolution?

Think it will be gradual and bigger amounts on better players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Vicente - 29 appearances in 2 seasons. But what a 29 appearances they were. If (IF?) Lallana can be comparatively 75% as good in a better league and play 25+ games a season then we should be in for a treat.

Good point, but the salary is considerably different.

25+ would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I think you’re right, and this is something I noticed across social media yesterday. Lots of “I like what Brighton are doing”, “they’re playing good football down there Lallana will fit in well” type comments.

The tide has turned massively for us reputation wise in terms of the style of football we play.

And we’re now starting to have talent envied by fans of other clubs (Lamptey, Maupay, Ben White, Lallana). You can’t put a price on the way a signing like this lifts the profile of the club. Another reason why it’s a good one.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Adam Lallana

That is quite a u-turn you've done there, I salute you :)

I am one of the few here to admit when I’m wrong!

Am still concerned about his injuries and fitness yes. But the utterly glowing references from Liverpool about the man behind the scenes paint a far bigger picture impact he can make to our club on and off the field.

It’s a sign of intelligence to take in new information and re-evaluate ones stance, rather than to dogmatically adhere to it [emoji56]

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I am one of the few here to admit when I’m wrong!

Am still concerned about his injuries and fitness yes. But the utterly glowing references from Liverpool about the man behind the scenes paint a far bigger picture impact he can make to our club on and off the field.

It’s a sign of intelligence to take in new information and re-evaluate ones stance, rather than to dogmatically adhere to it [emoji56]

https://www.businessinsider.com/jeff-bezos-sign-of-intelligence-2018-10?r=US&IR=T

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Imho we’ll never have any significant stature in the eyes of the media or the average football fan, we’ll only ever be a make up numbers small club lucky enough to be somewhere we shouldn’t (The PL), even if we enjoy some significant and sustained success. Even knowledgeable non-plastic football mates of mine who support Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs hold disdainful views such as they shouldn’t have to play teams like us and Bournemouth, said with jest, but with an undercurrent of genuine feeling. The media is all about sex appeal and a Brighton story is never going to be a commercially viable online piece in terms of hit rates up against a story about a higher profile, bigger club.

Well they are absolute kin bellends then, tell them to fxxk off to a Euro league ASAP.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Not saying that players won't leave us, but if a new club captain is to be appointed it would surely be from within, not a new player brought in.

I wouldn't interpret this signing in that way.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Reading a lot about his injuries are Lallana's limited appearances due to injury or that he is low down in the Liverpool pecking order.
From one comment Klopp seems to think that of late Lallana is fit and has regularly been in the squad.
I really can't see us gambling the reported salary on a player who will be missing half a season with injury.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath

I think this is spot on but I am and always will be happy to be a BHA fan and couldn't give a t*ss what the entitled/delluded think of us. We have earned the right to be in the top flight and am gonna enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Maybe this lacks ambition I dont know, but I would rather keep this mindset than turn into a Sheffield Wednesday fan way of looking at the world any day.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's a good comparison - although Mackay also had the fear factor, none of the young players would want to get on the wrong side of him, Lallana hasn't got that.

Times have changed, if we wanted the fear factor we’d have employed Nigel Pearson as manager :lolol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not saying that players won't leave us, but if a new club captain is to be appointed it would surely be from within, not a new player brought in.

I wouldn't interpret this signing in that way.

Not so sure.

From a Manager’s perspective, it is often beneficial to put your own person in, someone without baggage, someone with new ideas (perhaps gleamed from one of the best Premier League set-ups of all time).

I like the idea of Sussex lad Webster being captain but other players will look up to you if you happen to have a shiny Champions League & Premier League medal. This ‘mentor’ like reputation Adam has only adds to my suspicion that he’ll be the go to player once Dunk, Duffy & Stephens have found pastures new this summer.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Reading a lot about his injuries are Lallana's limited appearances due to injury or that he is low down in the Liverpool pecking order.
From one comment Klopp seems to think that of late Lallana is fit and has regularly been in the squad.
I really can't see us gambling the reported salary on a player who will be missing half a season with injury.

Maybe this is a different type of gamble for TB. At least you know what you are getting with Lallana - a quality premier league footballer who probably won’t make every match but whose presence at the club will lift those around him, against an unproven overseas player who costs a lot of money who never fulfils their potential and is a bit meh......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here