Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam johnson sacked

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Has it not become a media circus ? Yes he did wrong and from what little i know never really genuinely showed any remorse. Still can't help think it,s bit of a show trial ?

The press were interested because of his job, but it's because of his job that he was in that position. Rightly or wrongly kids look up to footballers. They hang around waiting for autographs.
He even Googled the age of consent so he knew exactly what he was doing. He groomed her with texts and chatted her up.
The sentencing guidelines are 4-6 years so if a teacher or someone in a similar position did the same, they would get the same sentence. He hasn't been harshly treated. He was found guilty on one count, pleaded guilty on two counts, so the sentencing was always going to be at the higher end of the scale.

Last edited:

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
It seems there's different sentencing guidelines at that court. Last month some 40 yr old man received 4 years for raping a 14 yr old school girl after grooming her.

Seems to be different punishment on who you are in this country.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The defence counsel added: “This is not a case of a predatory paedophile who has sought out children for sexual purposes.'

I agree with the above. He's arrogantly done wrong and is getting what he deserves but think there's also a tenancy to over-hype high profile cases - much worse crimes have been committed which get no attention every day imo. The Sun have gone with their 'football paedo' headline on twitter already :whistle:
PS - I'm not going all Leon Knighty on the subject before anyone dares suggest that - just offering an opinion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oh dear! Hold onto that soap for dear life, Adam!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Will or should he appeal against the severity of the sentence?

He's appealing against the verdict

Adam Johnson to appeal against guilty verdict
Posted at
10:38
Adam Johnson is to appeal against his conviction for sexual activity with a child.

Bradford Crown Court has been told the "grounds for appeal" have been lodged this morning.

The former Sunderland winger also pleaded guilty to one count of sexual activity and one count of grooming the schoolgirl.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's appealing against the verdict

Adam Johnson to appeal against guilty verdict
Posted at
10:38
Adam Johnson is to appeal against his conviction for sexual activity with a child.

Bradford Crown Court has been told the "grounds for appeal" have been lodged this morning.

The former Sunderland winger also pleaded guilty to one count of sexual activity and one count of grooming the schoolgirl.

What grounds? Presumably medical, on the basis that his ringpiece won't be able to take 6 years of sustained battery.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What grounds? Presumably medical, on the basis that his ringpiece won't be able to take 6 years of sustained battery.

I'd imagine he's saying he didn't do it? :shrug:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Should have got longer!One night stand,chance of a mistake if she was willing.Research on age of consent means he's a predatory paedophile,and because of his high profile,should have got the maximum.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The defence counsel added: “This is not a case of a predatory paedophile who has sought out children for sexual purposes.'

I agree with the above. .

Respectfully, I disagree. I've not being following this case too closely but he did groom her, he did go so far as to google the legal age in Britain so I'd say there was a huge element of planning and therefore his actions were predatory. I think the only bone of contention is if it can truly be called paedophilia if she was physically mature, a woman rather than a child, when they met. Even so, he knew the law, he even googled it so I've no sympathy.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Respectfully, I disagree. I've not being following this case too closely but he did groom her, he did go so far as to google the legal age in Britain so I'd say there was a huge element of planning and therefore his actions were predatory. I think the only bone of contention is if it can truly be called paedophilia if she was physically mature, a woman rather than a child, when they met. Even so, he knew the law, he even googled it so I've no sympathy.

Yeh I know where you're coming from and I agree he got what he deserved and it's poor that he knew the age and still pursued it. Of course, we don't know for sure if he did actually touch her apart from the kiss he's admitted to which would sway a number of opinions on the severity of the crime. In my book, to use the P word alongside the likes of Saville is harsh due to her age. Sex offender yes, Paedo, no. Not everyone will share my opinion of course, but I think there's a huge difference in what he did and what someone who goes after 8 yr olds does. I appreciate not everyone will agree and will want to call him a nonce etc...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If it had been someone not in the public domain there is no way he would have got 6 years. Really fine use of resources in our overcrowded prisons...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
He knew what he was doing. He knew it was illegal and wrong and continued anyway, it's a no brainer, the appeal will fail. He was the adult, she was a starstruck child and he knowingly took advantage even after he knew how old she was. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here