Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El-Abd - Our best defender

Lush

Mods' Pet
He's our best defender at the moment no doubt about it in my mind. Fully committed, fully concentrating, does his job with no thrills, wins the ball and gets rid. When McNulty reclaims the left back role I wouldnt be at all suprised if El-Abd kept his place in the side playing right back.

I was a bit surprised yesterday that when McNulty came on Poyet didn't take Hoyte off and switch El-Abd over. But perhaps he knows what El-Abd is about now and is still giving Hoyte a chance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone else agree than in the past few weeks Adam has been our best defender and the only part of the defence that has looked solid. No denying that he is an almighty hoofer but being played out of position, he's done a bloody good job :clap2:

Hoyte Elph/Virgs/Tunni El-Abd McNulty please Poyet:clap:

..and let's not forget they keep sticking Bennett in front of him as support...which then blunts our attack.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Anyone else agree than in the past few weeks Adam has been our best defender and the only part of the defence that has looked solid. No denying that he is an almighty hoofer but being played out of position, he's done a bloody good job :clap2:

Yes actually i agree, but he IS an ALMIGHTY hoofer, and obvious mcnulty will reclaim his starting spot from now on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To all those that delight in criticising El Abd, exactly who would you have played at right back in the absence of McNulty and Wright?

Think he has been asked to do a job for the club and has done well considering that.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Yes actually i agree, but he IS an ALMIGHTY hoofer, and obvious mcnulty will reclaim his starting spot from now on.

From left back he is, but at rightback I remember him being more composed with the ball on his right foot? No David Beckham I agree, but hope he challenges Whing for that spot when McNulty's back..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To all those that delight in criticising El Abd, exactly who would you have played at right back in the absence of McNulty and Wright?

Think he has been asked to do a job for the club and has done well considering that.

He's been crap for the past 5 years.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
was saying the same last night. he's raised him game. looks quicker, sharper and generally better all round than he has for a good while.

(he's still not really any good though). But it seems that everyone else seems to be making the mistakes for a change!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With a fully fit squad, El Abd would only be on the bench but we haven't had a fully fit squad for a very long time, not even at the start of the season!

Why he is better at full back than Whing and on current form Hoyte also, so when Jimmy Mac is fit I expect him to be in at right back, I think that he is the type of player Poyet wants.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
main-thumb.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Read my post again, there is a question in it which you have avoided answering.

With a fully fit squad, El Abd would only be on the bench but we haven't had a fully fit squad for a very long time, not even at the start of the season!

I thought you were implying we should cut El-Abd some slack as he is playing out of position.

But, IMHO he's been pretty poor since I first clapped eyes on him whatever position. He might have a ready-made excuse for recent games in that he is out of position...but what about in the past? Also, out of interest which position do you think is his best?

But, to answer your question:I would have made sure I had decent cover at left-back going into the season.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I was a bit surprised yesterday that when McNulty came on Poyet didn't take Hoyte off and switch El-Abd over. But perhaps he knows what El-Abd is about now and is still giving Hoyte a chance.

I suspect it was because Poyet felt Hoyte would offer more of an attacking threat.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
its hard for any player to play supposedly out of position, so commended effort for that. To be honest though i dont actually know what is supposed to be his best position as he doesnt consistently convince anywhere.... to say hes out best defender recently, does not really single him out for praise as much as condemn the rest of them.., after all his technical short comings are well known..but sadly its probably not far from the mark.

KrustyKrab

Aug 6, 2009

billy bullshitter bet you were one of the fans whos bin slatin this guy for ages. the fact is a defence is a unit. if one of u fail they all fail, however if u support each other ul get somewhere. One mistake from hoyte cost us the whole ethic of the team against charlton making us lose. All this saying there all shit is crap. tellin you you will all feel like idiots when elphick and tunnicliffe are in the championship.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
My thoughts on El Abd and i feel he would of impressed gus...

I think El Abd has put a pretty strong case forward so far, he has been fairly consistent in the last few games and has tried hard and looks like hes willing to dig in deep, unlike the rest of the back four, obviously Gus isnt going to be bowled over by his skill and his footballing talent but i cant see him of hurt his chances of staying in the team, for a few weeks to come yet.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
Hes playing out of position on his very shitty left foot (which has improved) as has by far been our greatest and most consistent defender this season. people say hes shit going forward and he is because his real position is centre back and he clearly wasnt bred for silky one touch passing and slick dummies. he shoudlve switched to the right yesterday or Whing should have started at right back because Hoyte was the worst player out there while El-Abd did nothing wrong compared to the rest of them to get subbed

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
May have something to do with the fact we have on numerous occassions sacrificed Bennett as an attacking threat so he can drop back as a second left back and help El-Abd out, effictively we have been playing with ten men.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I thought you were implying we should cut El-Abd some slack as he is playing out of position.

But, IMHO he's been pretty poor since I first clapped eyes on him whatever position. He might have a ready-made excuse for recent games in that he is out of position...but what about in the past? Also, out of interest which position do you think is his best?

But, to answer your question:I would have made sure I had decent cover at left-back going into the season.

We did, it was Jake Wright who could play left back or centre back but he got injured. Having said that, and based on your argument, why didn't the club sign Ashley Cole or Gael Clichy as cover for McNulty!!!!!

For your benefit, I'll re phrase the question. Out of the current squad available, who, in the absence of Wright and McNulty, would you play at left back.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
My thoughts on El Abd and i feel he would of impressed gus...

I think El Abd has put a pretty strong case forward so far, he has been fairly consistent in the last few games and has tried hard and looks like hes willing to dig in deep, unlike the rest of the back four, obviously Gus isnt going to be bowled over by his skill and his footballing talent but i cant see him of hurt his chances of staying in the team, for a few weeks to come yet.

What he said :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here