[Albion] Abdallah Sima

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We should have delayed the loan until January.

I think we've made a big mistake here.

We would not have been able to as that would mean Stoke is his third Club in a Season (which is against league rules).

I still think we should have kept him though!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really don't think GP has much of a say at all, he's just there to coach.. It's the board who make these decisions I firmly believe. Maybe Potter should have more of a backbone and tell them what we have isn't enough, every supporter can see it.

You could of course be right, but I think you’re very wrong. Chances are we’ll never know :shrug:

Unless of course you have close ties to the higher echelon of BHA, if so it may be a good idea to keep your mouth shut :lolol:

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
You could of course be right, but I think you’re very wrong. Chances are we’ll never know :shrug:

Unless of course you have close ties to the higher echelon of BHA, if so it may be a good idea to keep your mouth shut :lolol:

Just speculating like the rest of us, just feel it's quite obvious Potter doesn't have much of a say in who comes in and goes out.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just speculating like the rest of us, just feel it's quite obvious Potter doesn't have much of a say in who comes in and goes out.

I doubt that's true.
Potter's first priority is to coach the signed players, but his view on who is not required/needs development elsewhere, will be a key factor.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I may be wrong but I believe it was Potter that was backing the 20million transfer to replace our player of the season, Duffy with Webster, as he was not seen at the time by GP as his type of player. I am struggling to think that Ashworth or TB made this decision without massive input from GP :shrug:

How many clubs replace their player of the season with a 20 million player on a whim?

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
I may be wrong but I believe it was Potter that was backing the 20million transfer to replace our player of the season, Duffy with Webster, as he was not seen at the time by GP as his type of player. I am struggling to think that Ashworth or TB made this decision without massive input from GP :shrug:

How many clubs replace their player of the season with a 20 million player on a whim?

Webster was being looked at long before Potter arrived..

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Link?

Earliest reference that I can find is 15 June 19 when Potter was already coach

Webster is not in any way a Chris Hughton CB imo, Goldson was binned for Duffy because he was weak in the air against big forwards. Burnley last minute equaliser did for him.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I really don't think GP has much of a say at all, he's just there to coach.. It's the board who make these decisions I firmly believe. Maybe Potter should have more of a backbone and tell them what we have isn't enough, every supporter can see it.

I think DA described it quite well last season. They ask Potter "what position / what type of player do you need?", he says "this and that" and they return with a list of players and they work that list together.

I cant imagine that any senior squad transfers/loans in or out are made without Potter permitting it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Yes, because that is exactly how our recruitment system works (and most other PL clubs for that matter). They will have been looking at hundreds of players, producing reports etc on them for the manager to analyse and identify those players he wants to sign. Just because we've been tracking a player from before Potter arrived doesn't mean he's signed without Potters approval. The same applies to Neal Maupay who we tried to sign from Saint-Étienne but he chose Brentford as he didn't feel ready for a move to the Premier League.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Which is how most managerial relationships with boards and owners break down. I’m sure everyone at the club from Bloom to Potter understands the restrictions we operate under and therefore what we ‘need’ isn’t always what we can get. Potter can have a ‘back bone’ as you put it, throw his toys out of the pram, but at the end of the day if Bloom doesn’t sanction the salary needed or fee, then it’s not going to happen.

To say Potter has no say is a bit daft though, I’m sure all these things go hand in hand with coaches and manager inputting deficiencies to recruitment who scan what’s available and more importantly affordable.

Fans need to show a bit of understanding about what we’re operating with.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Yes, because that is exactly how our recruitment system works (and most other PL clubs for that matter). They will have been looking at hundreds of players, producing reports etc on them for the manager to analyse and identify those players he wants to sign. Just because we've been tracking a player from before Potter arrived doesn't mean he's signed without Potters approval. The same applies to Neal Maupay who we tried to sign from Saint-Étienne but he chose Brentford as he didn't feel ready for a move to the Premier League.

Thank you for backing up my point :)

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Which is how most managerial relationships with boards and owners break down. I’m sure everyone at the club from Bloom to Potter understands the restrictions we operate under and therefore what we ‘need’ isn’t always what we can get. Potter can have a ‘back bone’ as you put it, throw his toys out of the pram, but at the end of the day if Bloom doesn’t sanction the salary needed or fee, then it’s not going to happen.

To say Potter has no say is a bit daft though, I’m sure all these things go hand in hand with coaches and manager inputting deficiencies to recruitment who scan what’s available and more importantly affordable.

Fans need to show a bit of understanding about what we’re operating with.

Okay I'll change it to I think Potter has little say on transfer dealings.. I very much doubt Potter goes to the board with a list of players like some managers do at other clubs I just think he's told about who they're looking at and asked his opinion.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Okay I'll change it to I think Potter has little say on transfer dealings.. I very much doubt Potter goes to the board with a list of players like some managers do at other clubs I just think he's told about who they're looking at and asked his opinion.

I really don’t know what the basis for your thinking this is? This maybe exactly what Potter has done only to be told X Y Z aren’t available or out of reach. Just seems you want someone to blame for our recruitment. End of the day it comes down to money.

Of course every season a couple of sides punch above their salary cost / transfer sums, and a few under, but most PL seasons work out in a similar order to financial outlay. We’re hoping each season to buck the trend and be well above our outlay. Whether recruitment dept. or Potter, at the end of the day we can only spend what our owner permits to be spent.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Didn't Potter bring his own man in to be part of the recruitment?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Didn't Potter bring his own man in to be part of the recruitment?
I have always been of the opinion Potter is a coach who makes the best of what he is given. He did at Swansea and also at Ostenthingymabob. He must be drooling at the thought of making the best of working with Moder, Mwepu & Cucu (and of course good as new signing Yves Bissouma):)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I've heard similar, in fact that Potter wanted Webster signed as a condition of coming here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports