Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Abdallah Sima

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Naylor can be a right knob end sometimes.

I agree. I posted earlier in support of the local hacks and what they can report from the club, Naylor however, comes across as a prick far too often. A good reason for not paying to read his old news.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Signing a player in October is hardly the sign of a well planned out strategy.

Because we'd spent the whole summer chasing Nunez

I think there's this idea that we got to the end of the transfer window, missed out on Nunez and thought 'shit, better sign Welbeck instead'. An idea that Welbeck was sitting around without a club waiting for his phone to ring.

It's surely rubbish, a player of Welbecks pedigree would have been in high demand, and it would have taken time to get it over the line. We would have been talking to him long before the end of the window, long before we had a definitive answer on Nunez, because its just how things work. Lallana has spoken of spending time talking to him, convincing him to come to Brighton.

He may even have been our first choice all along. Regardless, pretty disrespectful to all involved to call it a panic buy

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think there's this idea that we got to the end of the transfer window, missed out on Nunez and thought 'shit, better sign Welbeck instead'. An idea that Welbeck was sitting around without a club waiting for his phone to ring.

It's surely rubbish, a player of Welbecks pedigree would have been in high demand, and it would have taken time to get it over the line. We would have been talking to him long before the end of the window, long before we had a definitive answer on Nunez, because its just how things work. Lallana has spoken of spending time talking to him, convincing him to come to Brighton.

He may even have been our first choice all along. Regardless, pretty disrespectful to all involved to call it a panic buy

Nunez joined Benfica on 4th September, we almost certainly weren't talking to Welbeck then, if at all before the end of the window. He didn't become available until a few hours before the window shut when his contract with Watford was terminated. This made Welbeck a free agent and enabled him to take his time on deciding who to join as the transfer window didn't apply to him. We signed him 12 days after the window closed. As I said before this doesn't make him a panic buy but rather it's us taking advantage of a player being available who we wouldn't have wanted to sign unless they were a free agent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nunez joined Benfica on 4th September, we almost certainly weren't talking to Welbeck then, if at all before the end of the window. He didn't become available until a few hours before the window shut when his contract with Watford was terminated. This made Welbeck a free agent and enabled him to take his time on deciding who to join as the transfer window didn't apply to him. We signed him 12 days after the window closed. As I said before this doesn't make him a panic buy but rather it's us taking advantage of a player being available who we wouldn't have wanted to sign unless they were a free agent.

Plus I'd like to add, 'panic buy', to me at least, has a very negative connotation.
Now sure if you're of a mind too that negativity can be directed at recruitment it shouldn't (and I don't think has, bar the obvious reason) be directed at the player.

Welbeck has been a model professional who earned his subsequent year.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

No way, Welbeck would have been talking to clubs all summer. He wasn't staying at Watford

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
The amount of assumptions on many threads is staggering. Nobody has a clue about what May or may not happen in transfer windows until very late. The amount of abuse thrown at journalists is also staggering yet when a journalist calls out some fans abuse etc. the journalist is the one to blame. I wonder whether Albion fans are are as ‘needy’ as other fans.. or perhaps it’s just the times we live in. Uncle Tony has invested hundreds of millions yet some fans are still giving out abuse near transfer deadline.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

Not really disrespectful, is it. It's just true. Not a bad signing by any means, it turned out very well, but I am 100% sure we did not intend on going into the transfer window and leaving with an uncontracted Danny welbeck as our main forward signing. But neither you or I know for certain, so this is all immaterial really

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The amount of assumptions on many threads is staggering. Nobody has a clue about what May or may not happen in transfer windows until very late. The amount of abuse thrown at journalists is also staggering yet when a journalist calls out some fans abuse etc. the journalist is the one to blame. I wonder whether Albion fans are are as ‘needy’ as other fans.. or perhaps it’s just the times we live in. Uncle Tony has invested hundreds of millions yet some fans are still giving out abuse near transfer deadline.

Hi Andy :bigwave:

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
All I’ve read about him was that he was looking brilliant and had PL clubs sniffing around him, then he had some kind of health issue, a significant tailing off in form, and clubs lost interest.

As the old cliche goes, form is temporary, class is permanent. Let’s hope this was a case of class blighted by injury, rather than form coming to an end.

This feels like a risk to me, but I really don’t want Connolly as our backup to Maupay/Wellbeck. Let’s hope our recruitment team have learnt from Andone/Locadia/Tau/Connolly/Zeqiri and refined their criteria appropriately.

I personally wish we’d kept Zeqiri here and shipped Connolly out, but I have to trust in the club and the staff who see both training to make the right decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Nothing more predictable than someone would come up with that tired, childish comment. Congratulations.

Oh get over yourselves, it was a joke. To call what Naylor gets on here ‘abuse’ is hyperbolic in the extreme. Many of us think he’s a pretty average/dull hack but that’s hardly abuse . For what it’s worth, I actually agree with his point that a few CL/Europa league games doesn’t mean someone is premier league ready. But he doesn’t have to be so condescending about it. Of course a fan forum contains ill informed speculation and opinion. It’s kind of the point of them.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here