Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Abdallah Sima

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't know what our plans are in January but i guess i'm confident the club is looking to spend £20m+ on a striker because it actually bid £20m+ on a striker only a few months ago.

I wonder. Certainly Nunez in thhe summer would have been very handy - but now we are where we are, with several 'young guns' waiting in the wings or out on loan, so maybe the club feel we can get through to next season, by which time one (or more) of them might be PL ready?
Plus Benfica will be looking to 'do a Ben White' on us, and double their money - can't see Uncle Tony going along with that.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I wonder. Certainly Nunez in thhe summer would have been very handy - but now we are where we are, with several 'young guns' waiting in the wings or out on loan, so maybe the club feel we can get through to next season, by which time one (or more) of them might be PL ready?
Plus Benfica will be looking to 'do a Ben White' on us, and double their money - can't see Uncle Tony going along with that.

Well things change I guess. The issue in the summer though wasn't whether the club can afford it but finding the right player to spend the ££ on who was willing to come to the club. In the end they didn't but they were clearly looking and had targeted at least 2 players who fitted the bill according to pretty credible reporting. And they wouldn't have come cheap.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But when he was not at Liverpool and therefor starting games was as a teenager for Lille (hardly fair to criticise), or 1 loaned season to a new club/league. I dont think that's a big enough sample to say he'll only ever be a 1 in 5 striker. Origi wouldnt necessarily bring bucket loads of goals to us but I could certainly see him scoring 10+ and bringing a lot of attributes we lack in our forward line. Like i said, for the right price/wages I see value in singing him. Someone else who's well in contract, and also scores 15-20 goals each season will set us back £40m... Just being realistic on what we might be able to attract.

Someone earlier on this thread said he was marmite - and they are probably dead right. So, not to my taste then. I'm thinking the next Rhian Brewster, or the next Dominic Solanke (although TBF, Solanke does seem to have got his act together - at Championship level at least).

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Someone earlier on this thread said he was marmite - and they are probably dead right. So, not to my taste then. I'm thinking the next Rhian Brewster, or the next Dominic Solanke (although TBF, Solanke does seem to have got his act together - at Championship level at least).
What was Brewster's goals to games in the Premier League ?

At least Origi is premier League ready

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I don't know what our plans are in January but i guess i'm confident the club is looking to spend £20m+ on a striker because it actually bid £20m+ on a striker only a few months ago.

Do we know this for sure though? Was it just press /agent talk?

I would be very surprised if we sign anyone.As we are still saddled with Locadia,it is probably just as well

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Do we know this for sure though? Was it just press /agent talk?

I would be very surprised if we sign anyone.As we are still saddled with Locadia,it is probably just as well

There was an awful lot of coverage around us matching Fiorentina’s £21m bid for Gonzalez, coverage from many trusted sources. He chose the Italians.

There were then stories that we’d gone back for Nunez again, however, they were always anchored by the fact that a few needed to be agreed which never was. I suspect the fee Benfica wanted was £30m+, this deal died when Benfica qualified for the Champions League proper according to some reports.

We clearly need another clear out of attacking players (Andone, Locadia etc) but I’m sure the club will act if a target becomes in reach. I’d be looking to the French league for possible targets.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

But doesn't that somewhat go against the received wisdom that it's hard to get decent value in January?

I'm not optimistic. A player has to want to come, accept wages that aren't massively competitive by European standards, and to be prepared to be surrounded by defenders as we try to pick our way, slowly and laboriously, through banks of players before trying make chances for him.

Which is why we're shopping in the Sima and zeqiri markets and why better forwards prefer Fiorentina and Benfica.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But doesn't that somewhat go against the received wisdom that it's hard to get decent value in January?

I'm not optimistic. A player has to want to come, accept wages that aren't massively competitive by European standards, and to be prepared to be surrounded by defenders as we try to pick our way, slowly and laboriously, through banks of players before trying make chances for him.

Which is why we're shopping in the Sima and zeqiri markets and why better forwards prefer Fiorentina and Benfica.

I'm not optimistic about getting one in January, either. The club clearly will wait until the right option (at the right price, for the right wages, contract, etc) comes along.
That said, surprised by your assessment. Last season, the big story about Brighton was about the disparity between our xG and goals scored. This season, we've been in the top half of the table throughout (granted xG isn't looking as strong). Both of those are the kind of credentials that a young, talented striker looking for a 'platform'/'stepping-stone' club ought to seriously consider in terms of their career development. They could, of course, follow the money at Newcastle.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The fact that we've gone for Trossard furthest forward in our last 2 games (Liv A and Saudi at home, 2 totally different assignments) suggests to me that this might be the predominant tactic from now on. It sort of makes sense. If we can't buy one, learn to live without one. Maupay could find himself the impact sub. We may find Mitoma coming in is the only movement in January.

Next season, we can then make a decision whether to give a run to Zeqiri, Sima to compete for this spot

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Love the optimism in a business which is:-

Unable to buy strikers.
Unable to develop strikers.
Unable to score goals.

Will be ok as it will soon be able to rely on players who clearly aren't good enough despite all the failings of everyone else.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Love the optimism in a business which is:-

Unable to buy strikers.
Unable to develop strikers.
Unable to score goals.

Will be ok as it will soon be able to rely on players who clearly aren't good enough despite all the failings of everyone else.

Time is coming when strikers are as archaic as wing halfs and inside forwards. Us - and Manchester City - are just ahead of the game, that's all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Time is coming when strikers are as archaic as wing halfs and inside forwards. Us - and Manchester City - are just ahead of the game, that's all.

Except neither of those clubs are doing it by choice or design.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
this line keeps getting repeated but we do business nearly every january, and some of our best deals under TB's stewardship have come in january (murray, knocky et al)

Ulloa, Big Jurg.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Hard doesnt mean impossible.

But yeah I dont think there will be a new striker in January. Maupay, Welbeck and Trossard with Connolly going on loan is my guess.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Except neither of those clubs are doing it by choice or design.
No? Wait for more to follow .........

Still, I'm sure in ten years time some old duffers and dinosaurs will be moaning about Brighton going into yet another Europa Conference campaign without a striker, and we haven't even managed to buy Gary Goals.
And by the way, with their money, Man. City can choose to do absolutely anything they bloody well like, and I kind of get the feeling that Pep knows exactly what he is doing, and has planned it that way.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Agreed. I think you're right about our prospects for landing a Nunez or a Gonzalez especially in January - punting on a Maupay or even more hopefully thinking that one of our bright 16/17/18 year olds might come good is a more likely strategy. But i don't think our chances, wages aside, are necessarily hindered as a few on this thread have argued because we can't afford that big fee or that it was solely dependent on a Ben White type sale.. Bloom was seemingly prepared to pay as this summer and last summer as "reported" bids at least showed. Club unlike most other transfer stories didn't deny these. in the end of course his targets went elsewhere or stayed put for the reasons you outline. (including being able to offer Champions League or European football)

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Welcome back

They are probably awaiting the dawn of new ice-age before acting

Lol

Hi Frank. Hope you are good? That made me lol :). After a RB for some reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here