Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Abdallah Sima

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
They want a replacement for Souttar*, not necessarily a replacement from us - it's not as of we have to send them someone else in exchange! He can't play for us anyway, but I guess if his injury problem is going to be anything like season long he mifght as well do his recoverng 'at home'. I presume he could turn out for the U23s?
However, the season's nowhere near thhe halfway point yet - don't see why he shouldn't stay and play at Stoke. The only player we need to recall is Jenks - and possibly Zeqiri of we want striker cover.

*Wonder if Tsongui or Turns are ready for a half season loan?

I know they aren't expecting a replacement from us, but a think a move to Stoke would be good for Taylor Richards or Sarmiento. I don't know if Sima can play for us this season, but if he has struggled at Stoke then the rest of the season with the U23s will do both good (as I suspect he would be too good for the U23s but would have the rest of the season to adapt). I think you are right about Jenks, Bring him back and send him to a league 1 team. Hopefully he learns from Aberdeen and becomes more determined.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know they aren't expecting a replacement from us, but a think a move to Stoke would be good for Taylor Richards or Sarmiento. I don't know if Sima can play for us this season, but if he has struggled at Stoke then the rest of the season with the U23s will do both good (as I suspect he would be too good for the U23s but would have the rest of the season to adapt). I think you are right about Jenks, Bring him back and send him to a league 1 team. Hopefully he learns from Aberdeen and becomes more determined.
Taylor Richards, yes, but I think Stoke are wanting a more out and out striker. Sarmiento I think might be closer to some first team time here.
I don't know about Teddy Jenks needing to be more determined, but his confidence may have taken a hit - it wouldn't be surprising with the very negative experience he is having up there.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
None. Just 4 Stoke appearances totalling 123 minutes in the Championship & EFL cup. Has vanished since mid-Sept. Lots of rumours about injuries but I’ve read a bit about him being way too raw on a Stoke forum, stuff about his second touch normally being with his head.

This guy was very very expensive considering his experience. He was a real punt. It might be that we’ve got a dud but equally, he could take some time to develop into a top half EPL striker. When you look at his showreel, he does seem to have some exceptional qualities (finishing, heading, height, speed, strength etc).

I know he’s been injured and everything, but it would be nice if just one of our attacker punts started tearing things up at a lower level and knocking at the door, as we need one first team ready soon. I guess Mitoma (if he can get a permit) and Sarmiento looking closest right now.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I know he’s been injured and everything, but it would be nice if just one of our attacker punts started tearing things up at a lower level and knocking at the door, as we need one first team ready soon. I guess Mitoma (if he can get a permit) and Sarmiento looking closest right now.

Yes, and neither are strikers…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yes, and neither are strikers…

It’s not about strikers though, it’s about goals. Salah has played 77% of his career at right wing but has scored most of his goals there.

It’s very possible that over the next year or two, a player like Mitoma, Khadra or Sarmiento could become quite prolific for us. If they do, we don’t necessarily need a new striker.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It’s not about strikers though, it’s about goals. Salah has played 77% of his career at right wing but has scored most of his goals there.

It’s very possible that over the next year or two, a player like Mitoma, Khadra or Sarmiento could become quite prolific for us. If they do, we don’t necessarily need a new striker.

Agree - and it’s why I used the word ‘attackers’. Most clubs play a fairly fluid front 3 now (Liverpool a good example). Looking for players who can be prolific across the front 2 or 3 is absolutely the right mentality - Sarmiento and Mitoma could be a big part of that (and also why we pursued Hernandez I expect).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If we got a season out of a striker we bought for <£10m who was then worth £50m it would be a good season!
Not very exciting for us lot though is it? The whole point of going to football is to be entertained. I’m quite sure we would all of preferred BW playing for us this season and not for Arsenal. If we had invested a large chunk of the £50m into a position we desperately need strengthening in it would of been better I suppose.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Not very exciting for us lot though is it? The whole point of going to football is to be entertained. I’m quite sure we would all of preferred BW playing for us this season and not for Arsenal. If we had invested a large chunk of the £50m into a position we desperately need strengthening in it would of been better I suppose.

The sort of season that would turn a 10m striker into a 50m striker would be 15-20 goals. That would likely mean a top 10 finish and 40m to invest in his replacement, both of which will attract better players. I think that’s the ‘onwards and upwards’ model we’re pursuing so if that isn’t exciting then you may not enjoy the next few years!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The sort of season that would turn a 10m striker into a 50m striker would be 15-20 goals. That would likely mean a top 10 finish and 40m to invest in his replacement, both of which will attract better players. I think that’s the ‘onwards and upwards’ model we’re pursuing so if that isn’t exciting then you may not enjoy the next few years!
We didn’t invest it well not in the area that needed it most, I literally said that in the post.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
We didn’t invest it well not in the area that needed it most, I literally said that in the post.

I don’t think we’ve invested the Ben White money full stop. We tried to sign Nunez/Gonzalez and it didn’t happen. I suspect most has been allocated to cover the (hopefully one off) Covid hit. But the model is clearly to continue to identify and develop young players, sell the ones that develop for a profit, and invest in more, slowly raising the bar over time (as opposed to spunking a large amount on ‘oven ready’ players). To make that work, we need to see more ‘Ben Whites’ emerging amongst our young players. Sima I have high hopes for but it’s a shame his season has been injury hit, likewise Caicedo. Mitoma and Sarmiento look encouraging. Some others, less so, but that will be the nature of this model you’d expect. Just need a few of the bets to come off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here